Portland trip

Discussion in 'US - West' started by Kwaz, Aug 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kwaz

Kwaz Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2012 Illinois

I'm heading to Portland this weekend, planning on hitting up Cascade barrel house and Hair of the Dog at some point. Anything else can't-miss that I should try to fit in?

Thanks!

2. Shmeal

Shmeal Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon

Try the search function. There are tons of things you don't want to miss.

Can a moderator make one of the PDX visit threads a sticky?

suncrust and csano like this.
  3. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

I created a thread a while ago to suggest suggesting the same thing. Member opinion seems split, but there hasn't been any response from the Bros.

Meanwhile, back to the OP...as far as I'm aware, there's not a single event going on this weekend because no one wants to schedule something on a holiday weekend when half the city goes out of town. It should be sunny and warm, so I'd suggest a pedestrian pub crawl.

Suggestions:

• Beer Mongers > HUB > (something on Division like Victory) > Apex ~ 3 mile loop
    • Horse Brass > Belmont Station > Cascade Barrel House > HOTD ~ 3 miles, almost all down hill
    • Pilsner Room > Bailey's > Deschutes (add on Bridgeport and/or Rogue if you desire) ~ 2 miles
    • Upright > Widmer > MAX to Killingsworth > Hop & Vine > Saraveza > Grain and Gristle ~ 3 miles walking + the train ride

libbey, guajolote and Spaceloaf like this.
  4. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (315) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

Here's a rather ambitious one I just mapped: http://goo.gl/maps/WeRkU
    Cascade > HotD > Bailey's > Deschutes > Upright > HUB/Side Bar. Surprisingly, only 4.2 miles.

And yeah OP, search for "visiting portland" and variants thereof. You'll find PLENTY of good info on "must-hit" spots.

maltmaster420 likes this.
  5. Kwaz

Appreciate the info guys. I did a "visiting portland" search, but there is an awful lot of information to wade through and I figured that a current post would also yield information on potential events this weekend (of which it seems there are none).

Yes, that route is quite ambitious. I am working more under the constraints of something I can reasonably bring my wife along on while keeping her interest level high.

Nevertheless, narrowing my sights. Thanks again!

6. Shmeal

Shmeal Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2009 Oregon

There are many food carts to keep her interested. Many, many food carts.

7. Kwaz

I heard that food carts are fewer and further between on the weekend, is that the case?

8. kscaldef

kscaldef Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2010 Oregon

What does your wife enjoy? If she's not there as a DD and doesn't like beer herself, maybe we can make some other suggestions for her so you'll both be happy.

Outside of downtown, most food carts operate week-round, btw. The cluster at 12th and Hawthorne is good and quite close to many of the beer destinations already mentioned.

9. guajolote

guajolote Disciple (315) Sep 12, 2008 Oregon

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't do that route, but there are certainly plenty of non-beer things along that route to keep one's interest. Just the sights you'll see along the way are worth the walk. You'll be able to stop off at Waterfront park on the west side of the Willamette, cross two bridges with nice views, and certainly run across myriad interesting/random/weird things that make Portland Portland . You'll cover 3 distinct sections of the city & run across cool shops & eateries along the way.

I've personally never tried that walk, but I'm tempted to now that I've looked at the route. Whatever you decide to do/see, I'm quite certain you won't be disappointed. Enjoy your trip!

10. Spaceloaf

Spaceloaf Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2008 Oregon

The area around Deschutes is known as the "Pearl District" and has all sorts of upscale shopping and the like. Some points of interest may be:

Powell's City of Books
    http://www.powells.com/locations/powells-city-of-books/

Cupcake Jones
    http://www.cupcakejones.net/

Cargo
    http://www.cargoimportspdx.com/

Cool Moon Icecream
    http://coolmoonicecream.com/

Random possible shopping spots near by (based on my GF's apparent interest):
    Anthropologie, Doc Martin, Lulu Lemon, and many boutiques I've never heard of

Also, there is a fair amount of furniture shops and art galleries if she's into that sort of thing.

Most of Portland's food carts are actually grouped together in "pods." So you just have to know where the pods closest to you are and you should have a decent variety of choices. You will be passing near several, so I wouldn't worry about not finding something that's open.

http://www.foodcartsportland.com/maps/

Other than that, I can give more specific suggestions if I know her interests.

11. alexipa

alexipa Disciple (396) Oct 7, 2011 Colorado

I'm taking a beercation in Portland this weekend too, first time there! Me and the wife have our bikes strapped to the roof and plan on biking all around the city to hit all of the dont-miss spots.

Thanks for the route guajolote, we'll definitely be hitting all of those at the very least :wink:

guajolote likes this.
  12. suncrust

suncrust Initiate (0) Apr 17, 2011 Washington

Seriously. PDX should have it's own separate forum.

+1 for Apex though, and bring cash. It's cash only.

13. distantmantra

distantmantra Meyvn (1,199) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Trader

My Dad and I are going down next weekend while my wife and daughter out of town. I think we'll do this route on foot.

guajolote likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.