Possible stuck fermentation solution?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by nquigley16, Aug 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nquigley16

nquigley16 Initiate (0) Sep 18, 2012 Massachusetts

I recently brewed a big RIS and didnt make a yeast starter and slacked on getting enough oxygen in solution for the yeast. It was pretty damn stupid of me but whatever, shit happens. I started with an OG of 1.103 and pitched white labs edinburgh ale yeast (WLP028). Fermentation is stuck at 1.050 now. I tried repitching a 2L starter of WLP028 and bumping up the temperature with a heat pad but it didnt help.

The only two solutions I can think of now is to brew a very dry irish stout and blend them, probably age 5 gallons of it in my oak barrel too and then reblend, or pitch some bugs and try and turn it into a sour stout.

I've really been lucky enough to never have a stuck fermentation before this, but now im not sure what the best option for this is.

Thanks for any feedback/advice.

2. JohnSnowNW

JohnSnowNW Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2013 Minnesota

I think you're right, blending is probably your best bet.

3. Tebuken

Tebuken Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2009 Argentina

I would give it a hard shake to rouse the first pitched yeast and to give wort O2 to multiply the new one.

fvernon likes this.
  4. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Champion (891) Feb 12, 2012 Georgia

I'd try some amylase in there as well as rousing the yeast a bit an see what happens. Start small and see incase it goes ape shit and takes the beer to low

5. HerbMeowing

HerbMeowing Aspirant (293) Nov 10, 2010 Virginia

6. WestCoastBrewer

WestCoastBrewer Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2013 California

You could try a different aggressive yeast strain with a high gravity starter. Keep the temp nice and high when you pitch it.

Did you sample it? If so, how is it tasting?

7. marc77

marc77 Poo-Bah (2,044) May 25, 2001 California
    Society

I'd brew a bitter, mild or other fairly low grav beer, rack that out when done, then rack the stuck RIS onto that yeast cake. You need a sh-t ton of healthy yeast to get a stuck term going. Alternatively, if you're friendly with a local brewery or brewpub, get a large pitch of yeast from them, say 1-2 growlers of slurry. Good luck. Dont consider dumping it yet.

8. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Devotee (420) May 2, 2006 Utah

As the 2nd pitch didn't help, I tend to agree with HerbMeowing: drainpour.

9. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California
    Deactivated

Hit it with a starter of something more attenuative like Cali ale and give it a bit of O2. You've already got the ester profile from the primary ferment, and there is a chance Cali could bring it down more, why not give it a shot before drain pouring?

pointyskull likes this.
  10. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

Throw some Brett in it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.