Posting pictures in your beer review.

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by rudzud, Oct 29, 2019.

1. rudzud

rudzud Poo-Bah (7,059) Apr 28, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Is this a thing now? I came across a beer review that had a picture of their beer and the bottle. I don't appear to see 'attachment' button when doing a beer review.

Bitterbill likes this.
  2. Mike

Mike Senior Web Developer (954) Nov 17, 2010 New Hampshire
    Staff Moderator Society Trader

The ability to share a photo with your beer review is currently only available in the Beers by BeerAdvocate app. The app is being beta tested by members of the Respect Beer Society. It will be made available to everyone on the App Store and Google Play after we finish beta testing.

I am also planning to add the ability to share a photo when reviewing beers on the website.

3. rudzud

Society Trader

Will it be implemented in such a way that prevents pictures from clogging up a review page?

officerbill and cjgiant like this.
  4. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,877) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I betcha Mike has that covered.

5. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Can you do a screenshot and post it here?

FBarber likes this.
  6. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,787) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

[​IMG]

7. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Thanks! I have to say, that's fine placement.

Sabtos and jhavs like this.
  8. jhavs

Society Trader

I didn’t realize the App pictures ended up in reviews on the site till I saw this thread. I like it.

officerbill, Sabtos and Bitterbill like this.
  9. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,249) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Will there be an option to hide pictures in reviews? I'd like to strongly suggest this...

10. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (1,721) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

I believe you have to do a review to have the photo show up in it, not just rate it. Am I right?

11. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,836) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Yeah, I’m thinking as much for quick loads of the page. This might be key for when users are on their phone assessing beers with a weak signal. Maybe thumbnails or a lo-resolution version could be a default if not disabled.

officerbill and FBarber like this.
  12. rudzud

Society Trader

13. rudzud

Society Trader

Posted a link to a beer in my previous that has it so you can see how it looks via web. And while it sure looks like it would be a scroll nightmare when viewing on mobile, if a page if full of that it'll still be that even when viewing from a web browser.

officerbill likes this.
  14. unclekeith

unclekeith Crusader (787) Sep 4, 2012 Alaska
    Trader

15. jhavs

Society Trader

16. Todd

Todd Founder (5,994) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Thanks for the feedback.

We won't be providing the ability to hide pics, but I've pulled the update for now as we clearly have more work to do. We'll launch it again once we have better desktop integration and the app launches publicly.

17. rudzud

Society Trader

Thank you. It could be cool it it's a say, a 100x100 pixel thumbnail that you clicked on and it made the picture larger ala a popout or if it was a clickable icon after say, the posts overall score that denotes a picture.

Snowcrash000 likes this.
  18. rudzud

Society Trader

You, Mr. New Hampshire, I fully expected to be the only person that might have. I certainly didn't think someone from Alaska would have; after all Mott doesn't move like Kate did.

jhavs likes this.
  19. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,281) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

I don't see the pics. I suppose that's due to the update being pulled as stated by Todd above?

Anyway, how long are beer reviews going to be in this state: "Liking a beer review is temporarily disabled for maintenance."

rodbeermunch likes this.
  20. Todd

Todd Founder (5,994) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Unrelated to this thread, but as previously noted: probably until the app goes public.

Sabtos likes this.
  21. joerooster

joerooster Initiate (45) May 15, 2018 Virginia

No thank you, photos in reviews will not enhance the site in any way, it will just take longer for stuff to load and I'll eventually stop looking at the reviews here and just use untappd. BA already screwed up with the sorting of beers by ratings rather than in alphabetical order.

The review section on this site is nearly dead to me, it was my #1 source a couple years ago.

woodychandler and altstadt like this.
  22. officerbill

officerbill Disciple (369) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society

Then will the small 150X300 image of the beer also be there?

23. Sabtos

Society Trader

You do know, it's one very easy quick click to sort beers differently, right? It doesn't even load anything new it just sorts live...

24. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,249) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I really don't see the benefit of letting people post pictures in their reviews, to be honest, while the drawbacks are many. I mean, it's just gonna slow down and clutter up the review pages and make them way more annoying to navigate.

And for what? So that people can post selfies with their beer? Who actually wants to see that? I mean, what's the point of having pictures in the reviews when there already is a beer picture right next to the stats?

I couldn't care less about the app, but I really would urge people to reconsider adding this to the website, or at least giving people the option to hide the pictures there or reduce them to thumbnails...

PapaGoose03 and altstadt like this.
  25. Sabtos

Society Trader

Maybe the picture with the most likes becomes the profile pic of the beer, and those that don't have a profile pic automatically uploads a check in pic to the profile pic...