pounder vs. tallboy

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by dumpstation, Oct 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dumpstation

dumpstation Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2011 Vermont

what the heck is what?! which is 24 oz. and which is 16 oz.?!
    i always thought tallboys were 16 oz. until i got informed otherwise and now it's all starting to sorta make sense but i'm still not convinced/trying to figure out why i thought such was the case...

2. kingofhop

kingofhop Initiate (0) May 9, 2010 Oklahoma

I've always called a 16 oz can a Tall boy. But IIRC, Schlitz called a 24 oz can of theirs Tall Boy. I'd never heard the term "pounder" until I visited this site.

3. dumpstation

dumpstation Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2011 Vermont

well hell. that's what i thought too. 16 oz = tallboy. who invented this word pounder and said it was ok?!

Lantern likes this.
  4. WagonCircler

WagonCircler Initiate (138) May 15, 2011 New York

Well, 16 oz in a pound. So yeah...

Anyways call em what you want, pretty sure its interchangeable.

shawnp likes this.
  5. EgadBananas

EgadBananas Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2009 Louisiana

I think Tall Boy has been generalized to anything north of 12oz...I think.

6. NWer

NWer Crusader (774) Mar 10, 2009 Washington

HUB started offering their IPA in what they call "Pounders"
    That's the first I saw the term. Can't confirm the size though. I don't have one at hand.

7. ThickNStout

ThickNStout Poo-Bah (2,605) Mar 8, 2011 Georgia
    Society Trader

It seems that "tall boy" has become a generic term for cans that are taller and/or more narrow than a standard 12oz can. Hence they look taller.
    A "pounder" refers to 16oz. Like in a pound. Clever, eh? I never use that term.

cbeer88 and Lantern like this.
  8. xxbillay

xxbillay Initiate (0) May 31, 2012 New Jersey

I've always used the 2 interchangeably, and found it generally just depends where you are from. I've always called 16 oz cans pounders, but I hear people call them tall boys all the time.

9. Boilerfood

Boilerfood Aspirant (284) Jun 5, 2012 Indiana

"tall boys" here in Indiana.

10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,782) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Tall Boy meant 24 oz. in Texas apparently (at least it did in 1956).

[​IMG]

forrestbetts, TastyIsBeer and ant880 like this.
  11. richkrull

richkrull Crusader (785) Dec 4, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

I've always called 16 oz, tall boys and 24 oz, silos. The latter could be a Wisconsin thing, I have no idea.

12. pieman25

pieman25 Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2010 Ontario (Canada)

I'm with most, 16 oz is a tallboy, never heard of a "pounder" though, anything bigger than a tallboy (usually 24 oz, though I've seen some go up to about a quart) I've heard called either a "cannon", "monster" can, "big can", or "double" can.

13. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (2,716) Nov 16, 2009 California

I have never heard of these so called "pounders" I just call a 16oz can or larger a tall boy.

Cheers!

14. boilermakerbrew

boilermakerbrew Meyvn (1,250) Aug 13, 2010 Indiana

I used tallboy for 16oz cans and silos for 24oz cans

15. ChanChan

ChanChan Devotee (434) Dec 12, 2009 California

What ever it may be, I hope they start making Ten Fidy 24OZ tallboys!! that would make for an interesting shotgun!!!

16. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2012 Washington

16oz = tall boy or pounder, 24oz = man can.

17. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (3,351) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Strohs used to come in 16 oz returnable bottles. That was the first experience I had with beers being called pounders. Fire brewed goodness in a larger bottle, good times!

18. FTowne

FTowne Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Missouri

16 oz=Tallboy
    24 oz="2 by 4"

SatlyMalty likes this.
  19. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Besides us now being able to drink Alesmith IPA on a regular basis, the HUB cans are one of the greatest things to happen up here in the PNW in the past couple months.

20. epk

epk Initiate (168) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

Pounder is definitely a term for 16 oz at least in Philadelphia area... and maybe it's a more recent development with hipsters and their relationship with Pabst who makes a 16 oz can. Or maybe it's always been a more colloquial thing.

Tall boy, per Jess, seems it may have started as a 24 oz. (at least in Texas) but considering the other comments, now can be anything greater than 16 or simply 16 oz. in general.

21. jesskidden

Society

The Texas comment was tongue-in-cheek - as an excuse to post that sorta weird Texas-based and -referencing graphic from an ad from the early days of Schlitz's Tall Boy can in the mid-50's - coincidentally, when Schlitz was the #1 US brewer for the last time. (I guess their Longview plant might have been the original brewery to use that size and/or Texas was the test market?)

The cans themselves listed all of Schlitz brewing cities at the time and continued to me marketed up until Schlitz was taken over by Stroh (at least). I've got a late-70's era can that lists breweries like Syracuse, NY (i.e., AB's current "Baldwinsville, NY" brewery) and even Honolulu (the Primo brewery). I didn't buy the beers from the then Big 3 (AB, Schlitz and Miller) so don't really recall what markets I saw the Schlitz Tall Boys but I imagine they were quite widely available. Schlitz used the same size can for Old Milwaukee (which they labeled as a "Growler") and Schlitz Malt Liquor.

Bitterbill likes this.
  22. SatlyMalty

SatlyMalty Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2012 Washington

Haven't heard 2 by 4 yet. I like that one!

23. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I have often heard of beers that come in 16 oz. cans called "Kingers" or with the Rhode Island accent, "Kingiz."

I call 16 oz cans tall boys.

24. FTowne

Must be Missouri redneck slang.

25. jesskidden

Society

Many breweries used the term "King Size" for their 16 oz. cans, including Narragansett (which also used it on the neck label of their 16 oz. returnable bottles)- so that might explain that local terminology.

[​IMG]

26. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (121) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

Just to add another useless term to the mix, in the mid-70s we used to refer to the rarely sighted Foster's cans as "horse cans". No idea where it came from, but it made sense at the time.

27. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

I don't recall ever seeing anything in a 24 oz. can and I've been around the block a few times. Quarts, 40 oz. yes, but no 24 oz.

28. FTowne

You serious?

29. otispdriftwood

Maybe I shouldn't admit it but yeah, I am. But then again, my memory isn't what it used to be.

30. FTowne

AB-Inbev puts practically everything they brew in "2 x4's"...at least in the metro STL area.

31. tfaosd

tfaosd Initiate (48) Jun 4, 2010 Massachusetts

Growing up in northeastern PA in the early '80s, my friends and I would buy six-packs of 16oz Genesee cans, i.e. "Genny Pounders".

32. otispdriftwood

Aha! I'm here in 2x4 starved NY.

33. jesskidden

Society

At one point IIRC the 16 oz. Genesee returnable bottles had "Pounder" printed right on the neck label - first time I'd heard the term.

beertunes likes this.
  34. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,619) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yep. Steel cans, like the one I have left, that show the can's welded together. 8 brewing cities on this can. Wow.

35. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,028) Sep 24, 2007 Montserrat
    Trader

This. You could get 24-16oz bottles, in a heavy duty waxed cardboard case for about $16 even into the mid-90s. The few bottles of homebrewing I did, I just grabbed a couple cases, drank the beer and used the bottles. it was cheaper paying the deposit than buying bottles. A peeler bar I used to go to in Rochester, the Barrel of Dolls, used to sell them for $2, $1.50 during Happy Hour.

36. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

That's great. Half quart needs to be the terminology from here on out!

37. feedmechili

feedmechili Initiate (0) Jan 1, 2010 Kansas

16 fluid ounces of water weighs roughly 1 pound, which is also 16 dry ounces. In the old days, there was a rhyme to remember this:

"Pint to the pound
    all the world around"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.