Prairie Dawgs - Members Only Club

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by needMIbeer, May 7, 2017.

1. bgold86

bgold86 Savant (961) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

No need to worry if you’re a Dawg member, today was another example of prairie putting the customer first. I wouldn’t worry about the Dawg beers. Only reason to worry would be if you’re not a member, because they are a b to trade for if you aren’t:slight_smile:

thebaucom and brock125 like this.
  2. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (7,282) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

So all barrel aged bottles that are not Apple Brandy are safe still?

3. Narthax

Narthax Crusader (743) Mar 23, 2014 Texas
    Trader

According to the folks at Prairie, AB Paradise and Bomb are the only ones with issues. Noir should be good.

4. RuckIt

RuckIt Aspirant (206) Apr 29, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Can anyone tell me how much memberships cost this year? I know last year's was $500, but did they raise the price for 2018-19?

5. Vikings1201

Vikings1201 Aspirant (235) Sep 8, 2012 North Carolina
    Trader

Same as last year.

RuckIt likes this.
  6. breakfast4dinner

breakfast4dinner Initiate (66) Nov 21, 2016 Texas
    Trader

So this might not be the most relevant place to post this, but why is there a shortage of the usual barrel aged releases this year? Are the prairie dawg barrels really taking up all the space that used to be used for pirate bomb, all the noirs, etc. that typically hit distribution? Today prairie just announced that vanilla noir is Oklahoma distro only.

DISKORD and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  7. Vikings1201

Trader

Nothing has been announced in regards to Pirate Bomb or Pirate Noir, I believe those are typically released in January.

Prarie mentioned the Vanilla Noir was a small batch created for their OK distributor. This wasn’t even available to members which was kind of a disappointing, love this beer.

breakfast4dinner likes this.
  8. breakfast4dinner

breakfast4dinner Initiate (66) Nov 21, 2016 Texas
    Trader

These were released before Thanksgiving-mid December last year and the year before, depending on what state you live in.

AyatollahGold and DISKORD like this.
  9. bgold86

Society Trader

No rum beers this year btw as far as I’m aware.

Vikings1201 likes this.
  10. Narthax

Trader

Rumor is no more BA distro outside Oklahoma. It may have something to do with sweeping law changes that went into place in October. Haven't followed it too closely.

brock125 likes this.
  11. DISKORD

DISKORD Disciple (373) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

That would be terrible.

JFresh21 and AyatollahGold like this.
  12. BDCannon

BDCannon Devotee (415) Feb 24, 2015 Texas
    Society Trader

At this point I could careless about them. They alienated their customer base and only cater to Oklahoma or those willing to drive. Moving on.

13. rmpic82

rmpic82 Devotee (418) Jan 27, 2017 Kansas
    Society Trader

And yet...here you are. I know that sounds like a jerk comment, but the statement is completely contradictory to you viewing the Prairie thread.

I’m curious though - you say “alienating their customer base” which I assume means specifically you. Was it the expensive membership? What do you mean by this?

Chadzero and needMIbeer like this.
  14. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Aspirant (272) Aug 16, 2012 Texas

I heard this rumor a month ago. There is some truth to it. Not sure of the specific details, but it does have to do with new alcohol laws in OK.

15. Vikings1201

Trader

Apparently a July/September 2019 date for Pirate Bomb.

16. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Meyvn (1,276) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

There wasn't a '18 release of Pirate bomb, right? Last I remember I thought it was December of '17 but maybe it was early '18 with bottles dated '17. Idk

17. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (728) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

This is correct. The last rum barrel release was around this time last year. It seems that many of the BA beers are moving to brewery only or OK distro only releases.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  18. bgold86

Society Trader

This runs 100% counter to how they operate, for example BA Xmas/BP release, no need to wait on a long line, just reserve and pickup! How about the issue with AB Paradise/Bomb? Refunded within a week of release.

thebaucom and needMIbeer like this.
  19. BDCannon

Society Trader

I’m talking about their customer base they built with a distribution model that has now changed for various legitimate reasons I’m sure. And yes I commented on a thread discussion about my opinion because that’s what they are for so yes I viewed the thread. Previously there were numerous BA releases that saw distribution—almost all. In 2018 none made it outside Oklahoma. I don’t care about the money I spend plenty on beer and bourbon but I do care about my time and will not be driving all the way to Oklahoma for some beer when there is plenty to get that doesn’t require that. So yes when I say alienate I’m speaking specifically about those that fall into my situation which I know there are many.

Longhorn08, rmpic82 and AyatollahGold like this.
  20. BDCannon

Society Trader

I’m talking about access to their beer and how their distribution model has changed. I agree they have been stand up when it comes to dealing with issues or as you noted release structure for those in state or willing to travel.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  21. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (269) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Trader

Was told by a liquor store owner around Tulsa this batch of Vanilla Noir was somewhere around 300 cases. Based on Facebook pictures looked like his store got 5 cases or so. He said he sold them out in a few hours.

needMIbeer likes this.
  22. Devman171

Devman171 Defender (605) May 16, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

How were the Barrel cases packaged for pickup? I’m assuming loose cases and not shrink wrapped on a pallet

23. Narthax

Trader

Individual cases. They had you bring your vehicle to a loading area at a specified time and the cases were loaded from a pallet to your car. They came pre-split up to 1/5s if you had picked up a part of a barrel. It was quite the organizational nightmare. I wouldn't be surprised if that gets changed somewhat next year.

Devman171 likes this.
  24. Devman171

Trader

can someone tell me what the 16 membership bottles are?

25. thebaucom

thebaucom Initiate (47) Aug 29, 2017 Missouri
    Trader

It's going to end up being more than 16.

First 3 were: Stuf't, Double Barrel Noir and Proton Streams (2 each I'm pretty sure)

Last 4 are supposed to ready June/July: W Boom Boom Beat, Stock Photo, Adjunct Trail and Dawg Chronicles Vol.2 (4 each)

Devman171 likes this.
  26. rmpic82

Society Trader

You’re paying for the extras - didn’t think they were gifting us additional bottles. In that way, it includes 16 with an opportunity to buy a few more.

27. Devman171

Trader

thanks!, i saw those and wasnt sure if there were included or not

28. thebaucom

Trader

I'm not counting an extra bottles you could buy. Stuf't and DB Noir were both 2 each included in the membership, with option to buy a couple extras. Proton Streams was the 3rd member beer. It was either 1-2 included, with the option to buy an extra or two.

The most recent member update shows the last 4 member beers at 4 per person included with the membership, with the option to buy extra on Stock Photo and Adjunct Trail. That is 16 total bottles just on those.

Maybe they are trying to make up for all of the infection/single barrel issues.

brock125 and Devman171 like this.
  29. JFresh21

JFresh21 Disciple (318) Mar 6, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Anybody know how long BA birthday bomb is aged for?

30. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (115) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Anyone have any info on this new bottle? The prairie version of adjunct trail?

31. Vikings1201

Trader

It’s a member bottle.

Adjunct Trail (Collab with Angry Chair -Prairie Version) Imperial Milk Sweet Stout with Hazelnut, Coffee, and Toasted Coconut

brock125 likes this.
  32. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (115) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

How many bottles do members get?

33. rmpic82

Society Trader

Four - option to buy more. 12 oz bottles.

spersichilli likes this.
  34. mjco04

mjco04 Devotee (448) May 30, 2013 Connecticut
    Society Trader

If anyone here wants to split Dawgs membership I'd like to discuss. :slight_smile:

rmpic82 likes this.
  35. rmpic82

Society Trader

After two short years, I have to bow out of the Dawgs. Too much money. I will be looking for brewery-only releases during the next dawgs year, so if any current members stay on and would consider a swap, keep me in mind. Good luck on year three!

36. thebaucom

Trader

I renewed. Giving it another chance. Feel free to hit me up if you want anything in particular.

rmpic82 likes this.
  37. Narthax

Trader

Also renewed.

rmpic82 likes this.
  38. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Crusader (728) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I will also be renewing. While there have been some challenges this year I think the Prairie is ultimately committed to making this successful.

rmpic82 likes this.
  39. Vikings1201

Trader

I wasn’t invited back this year but honestly I wasn’t likely to renew. I was shocked they didn’t honor their member agreement which stated members were guaranteed the first right to renew. It was the second year of the membership and they couldn’t solve the pickup issues. I had two issues this year where my beer wasn’t in the right place. The quality of the beer was questionable, I couldn’t think of single member beer that was worth the price of admission. I was optimistic about the rum barrel aged beers but those were hot mess and a shell previous years. I’ve never been in a membership where the brewery didn’t value me as a customer, I couldn’t get a response on various questions. I wish Prairie the best and hopeful members enjoy the next year and quality improves. If anyone is on the fence, save the money and spend that on beer from a brewery who wouldn’t say Cowboy Breakfast meets their quality of standards.

12ArmedGoon and Thrillhouse82 like this.
  40. Thrillhouse82

Thrillhouse82 Initiate (134) Sep 14, 2014 Wisconsin
    Trader

Outside of the Apple Brandy Bomb infections, what kind of quality issues were there? Generally just curious, as a non member. Also, what was the deal with Cowboy Breakfast?