Release Prairie shipping Double Dunk Oreo Imperial Stout nationally in October

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by elohim, Aug 31, 2018.

1. elohim

elohim Initiate (189) Dec 4, 2010 Georgia
    Trader

2. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (75) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

I'll have to ask my distributor about this one. Sounds interesting, I'm rarely disappointed with Prairies stouts, so I'll be looking forward to giving this one a try.

Lahey likes this.
  3. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (205) Feb 28, 2017 Virginia

Hmmmm....first it's Consider Yourself Hugged and now this. Which part of "Artisan" is using artificial flavors/ingredients? What a bunch of bull! Especially when you charge $10 for a 12 oz bottle. It better be all real ingredients. Didn't buy any CYH and won't be buying this either. They should've used Newman O's instead.

4. Cibsie

Cibsie Initiate (156) Jan 10, 2015 Minnesota
    Trader

Is this a non-BA Stuft? I say wait and throw it all in barrels.

RobNewton likes this.
  5. rgordon

rgordon Champion (852) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Let's go back in time and imagine Girl Scout Cookie Samoas with Extra Chocolate Nibs with Artisinal Costa Rican Roasted Coffee Stout with Organic Vanilla. I know that these beers are more subtle than they sound, but they sound terrible...to me......All of them basically. Give me Young's Oatmeal Stout once again and I'd be a happy camper.

jasonmason, FarmerTed and Jaycase like this.
  6. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (359) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

What, a prarie stout without spices or barrel aging!? Is it still gonna be 10-15 dollars a bottle? The beer sounds good, but if I see any it'll be priced up there with fine art.

meanmutt likes this.
  7. blkhawk14

blkhawk14 Initiate (88) Nov 14, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

blame shelton for that, not prairie

fehrminator, RobNewton and Jaycase like this.
  8. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (359) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

Is that their distributor? I'm not familiar... either way their prices are too much for me, although the couple beers I've tried have been good. Of course, quality should be expected without exorbitant costs imo.

ericwo likes this.
  9. blkhawk14

blkhawk14 Initiate (88) Nov 14, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

yeah shelton handles distro for prairie most states with a few exceptions. MN is one--they independently distro to MN and bottles are significantly lower in cost

10. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,880) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Trader

If this makes it to MN (which I assume it will) I'll pick up multiple bottles.

Was unaware that Prairie is more expensive elsewhere. $10/single isn't ideal, but since they arrived here, I've bought plenty. They've earned my trust by churning out amazing stouts consistently.

AyatollahGold and Eggman20 like this.
  11. DoghouseReilly3946

DoghouseReilly3946 Initiate (119) Aug 17, 2018 Kentucky

Amen!

DISKORD likes this.
  12. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,062) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Too bad they're not distributing the BBA version of this. :slight_frown:

13. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (337) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

ya how can you call a beer artisan that uses, as a flavoring, some artificial crap cookie? Hack job that pretty much spells the end of buying Prairie for me

14. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (420) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

I think Oreos are delicious. Artificial or not. I even like Double Stuff. There, I said it. Although, the Trader Joe's "Joe Joes" are also tasty.

I'd try this beer if by some miracle we see distro of it. Shelton makes Prairie distro so erratic, at least by me.

dcotom, maximum12 and AyatollahGold like this.
  15. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,101) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

I only eat double stuff oreos. If this was released a decade ago traders and whale hunters would have cleared this off the shelf an hour off the truck. We have come a long way. Doubt I would buy this but if it costs less than $10 a pop and there aren't any new fest beers on the shelf by then who knows.

16. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Crusader (760) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Trader

When this was a Prairie Dawg release people went crazy. Now it's not and it's crap. I'm personally happy that Prairie is doing something like this for national distro and even happy that it's NOT BBA. I feel like that would've overpowered a lot of goodness in this.

maximum12 likes this.
  17. elohim

Trader

The Prairie Dawg release was in fact BBA though. Also despite the lack of enthusiasm from some people here I doubt this beer is going to sit on the shelves like some of the more widely available Prairie stuff often does. Personally I agree with you though this not being BBA makes me more likely to try it.

AyatollahGold likes this.
  18. bbtkd

Premium

Cool, more for us. Guess it depends on your definition of artificial, but the ingredient list for Oreos looks non-artificial to me; sugar, flour, oil, cocoa, corn syrup, baking soda, corn starch, salt, soy lecithin, vanillin, and chocolate. One could argue on the vanillin, but it is simply the exact chemicals found in vanilla that gives it the familiar flavor, so if that's bad, better stay away from real vanilla too.

19. seth27

seth27 Initiate (80) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania

I can only imagine what that filter looked after words:grin:

bbtkd likes this.
  20. stevepat

Trader

Well I stand corrected. These are not an artificial product. I still don't see anything artisinal about high fructose corn syrup or soy lecithin, not to mention canola oil. I hope you all enjoy this bizarre...cross branding? or whatever it is supposed to be. Why not just make a stout conditioned on chocolate and vanilla? I can't for the life of me understand why a brewery that demands premium pricing would cheapen their brand this way

21. bbtkd

Premium

A lot of breweries have used chocolate and vanilla, so I suppose they just want to be different. You mention cross-branding - wonder if they have any business arrangement - or if they're even using "real" Oreos. If they don't specifically mention Oreos, they could use a knock-off or just some of the ingredients. Would that be cheapening the brand?

22. stevepat

Trader

Well considering that the beer name includes the name 'oreo', undoubtedly trademarked, and the original post shows pallets of oreo cookie pieces so I would say there is some kind of official relationship. I can see the value of attempting to differentiate from the mass of chocolate/vanilla stouts (although I would think that Prairie's well earned reputation for flavored stouts would provide plenty of market excitement). And yes, if they used some knock off brand of oreo it would definitely cheapen the Prairie brand. Maybe if they had partnered with some 'higher end' sandwich cookie or if they had used some of the ingredients and named it something like 'double dunk chocolate creme cookie stout' they could have had a nice little product and their reputation fully intact. Imagine your favorite sour ale maker producing a kriek using cherry flavored blow-pops or some other cheap cherry like product.

hopsputin, Lahey, FarmerTed and 3 others like this.
  23. bbtkd

Premium

Double Dunk finally hit here today. I couldn't resist buying too much (seven) not even having tried it first. Could have gotten a case easily, but resisted, because there are several other favorites being released in the next few weeks. Based on reviews and raving comments, I felt safe in getting "a few". Just drinking one now, and while outstanding, it isn't the extreme Oreo experience I was expecting. Definitely let this one warm..

24. Dragginballs76

Dragginballs76 Poo-Bah (2,085) Nov 13, 2015 South Carolina
    Premium Trader

Pumped local store is getting a case next week got 6 bottles on hold.

GoatmanBrewsMD and bbtkd like this.
  25. AyatollahGold

Trader

Anybody seen this around Indiana?

26. Dmott

Dmott Initiate (16) Oct 24, 2018 Indiana
    Trader

Ayatollahgold, I'm in evansville indiana and haven't seen it yet. However, I just got back from asheville nc and it was quite plentiful. Bought a bottle but haven't tried it yet. Around evansville I can't even find regular bomb. Where are you located? Do you ever see barrel aged bomb? That's on the top of my list to try. Never even seen it.

27. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Champion (875) Feb 5, 2014 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I believe BA Bomb was brewery only last year

12ArmedGoon and AyatollahGold like this.
  28. AyatollahGold

Trader

I'm in the Muncie area. And most of the time I can get all Prairie Stouts. Even the barrel aged ones like pirate bomb, vanilla Noir etc. I could go to the store right now and get 18 Bomb, 18 Bday Bomb, 17 Xmas Bomb, paradise, consider yourself hugged. I got BA Bomb! In '16 from a store in my area but '17 was brewery only and had to trade for it.

29. Dmott

Dmott Initiate (16) Oct 24, 2018 Indiana
    Trader

Wow your lucky. Prairie is one of my favorites. Do you trade off a certain site?

30. AyatollahGold

Trader

The only site I have ever used to trade is Beer Advocate.

needMIbeer likes this.
  31. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,349) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

Looks like I waited too long, bottles gone but a keg arrives tomorrow so I can get a fill up that way. My local guy sold out in a day he said, called around and other shops out also. Looks like a hot seller for sure least around me.

32. Adrena1ine

Adrena1ine Aspirant (224) Nov 22, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Was really hoping these would hit the Philly market but I keep striking out.

33. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,686) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Saw it in NYC on recent travels, but figure I'd just pick it up in my home state instead of bothering to fly it back. Low and behind, they cancelled our local distributors order since they sold so much in Oklahoma. At least, that's story according to a local beer shop. Looks like we won't be getting it.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  34. Dragginballs76

Premium Trader

Dude that sucks, I might be able to grab you a bottle at my local shop. they got a case and so far no one is buying it but me and I already drank 3 bottles.

elohim, Harrison8 and AyatollahGold like this.
  35. elohim

Trader

So do you just enjoy it? It isn't around here yet but everyone I have talked to who tried it say it is mediocre. Sadly my market is a 3-5 delay for Prairie to reach the shelf. We just got deconstructed Bomb! recently. I am gonna try this for sure when I see it but I am pessimistic at this point. Word is this sees distro every place that gets Prairie.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  36. Dragginballs76

Premium Trader

I really did enjoy it, once it gets closer to room temp the chocolate cookie and vanilla really come out on the finish. I thought this years Christmas Bomb was really nice too already had 2 bottles of that.