Release Prairie shipping Pirate BOMB! & Pirate Noir by next week.

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by DISKORD, Jan 5, 2018.

1. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (201) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Fans of Prairie Artisan Ales are getting some rum-soaked presents for the new year.

The brewery will be shipping the newest incarnations of two of its most popular stouts: Pirate BOMB! and Pirate Noir. Pirate BOMB! is a 13 percent ABV variant of the brewery’s BOMB! imperial stout brewed with coffee, cacao nibs, vanilla beans and chillies that has been aged in rum barrels, while Pirate Noir is a 12 percent ABV imperial oatmeal stout aged in Jamaican rum barrels.

https://tenemu.com/news/prairie-shipping-pirate-bomb-2018-pirate-noir-2018-next-week/01/2018

2. StartedwithSAM

StartedwithSAM Initiate (0) Feb 17, 2015 Virginia
    Premium

I certainly hope this ships to DC, Maryland and/or Virginia. :grin:

coquet likes this.
  3. NNN

NNN Initiate (79) Feb 9, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

I think I've had every prairie stout except these two. How do they rank in comparison?

Harrison8 likes this.
  4. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,037) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Fresh they are outstanding. Aged 6+ months they are even better, really incredible. By far the best Prairie stouts. If you have a choice, Pirate Bomb is better than Pirate Noir.

#4 bbtkd, Jan 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Harrison8, NNN and Hoppedelic like this.
  5. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,063) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

Sounds good to me. I'm drinking a Bourbon Paradise right now. Good stuff!

6. MichaelShmichael

MichaelShmichael Initiate (31) Apr 17, 2017 Georgia

With the best of them. Only had Pirate Noir once and felt it was a little under carbed but other than that it was as good as expected. Pirate Bomb is next level.

dcotom likes this.
  7. cmukid87

cmukid87 Aspirant (230) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Pirate Bomb is my favorite Prairie stout BY FAR, or at least my favorite that has hit distribution. I get sad when I see how much each bottle costs though. Hard time buying more than 2 or 3 at $11-13 each.

BenHoppy and Sirnickatnite like this.
  8. brewaddict

brewaddict Aspirant (245) Nov 25, 2015 California

I'm a huge fan of Pirate Bomb!

BenHoppy likes this.
  9. stevesbeer

stevesbeer Initiate (104) May 17, 2016 Washington

Hooray! Can't wait to try it!

BenHoppy and DISKORD like this.
  10. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,322) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

Never had either, and I've been wanting pirate bomb for a long time. Hope I can get one.

stevesbeer and DISKORD like this.
  11. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,317) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

If I see these hit locally I plan to get some. Price is a little harsh but I want to explore these beers more.

12. cmukid87

Trader

My local guy doesn't know much about this years Pirate Bomb but he did pull a 2017 Pirate Bomb out of a secret stash. No hesitation on that one!

Harrison8 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  13. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (442) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Big big fan. Hope I can get a few bottles. Only got one last year.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  14. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,524) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

I'd like to revisit Pirate Bomb this year, as it felt underwhelming when I was able to try it last year. I'll buy one should I stumble across it again.

nicoolaa likes this.
  15. croush

croush Defender (627) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I had Pirate Noir last year and really liked it, so hopefully I can grab a bottle or two of each of these. Haven't heard anything on when they will hit locally yet.

16. bgold86

bgold86 Savant (904) Apr 1, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

Pirate Bomb! is a great beer, but was $15-16 a pop in NYC when it was last out in 2016, expecting a bigger bump this time around:slight_frown:

17. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (167) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

I’m guessing $18 to $20 for 12 ouncer if it hits PA. I’ll pass.

18. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (409) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Pirate Noir is my favorite of the Noir series, although fresh coffee is stellar too. Pirate Bomb! is good, but was super rum forward. It was almost a bit much for me. And I love regular Bomb! Although, after seeing others say it ages well, that makes me happy about the second bottle I got. Neither are my favorite Prairie stout I've had (that would be AB Noir), but both are solid enough to seek out and form your own opinion...and give dollars. Here's to hoping we'll see it in IL. I was hoping I'd see Bourbon Parasdise downstate, but no bones...

EDIT: Mildly related, Pirate Noir has a kick ass label. That is all.

Jason1221 likes this.
  19. cmukid87

Trader

When was the last AB Noir? Next to Pirate Bomb it's my favorite

20. MichaelShmichael

MichaelShmichael Initiate (31) Apr 17, 2017 Georgia

2016 I believe. Looks like it might come back later this year.

flat_lander likes this.
  21. bbtkd

Premium

Pirate Bomb is my favorite beer, so I slowed down on my beer buying after BCBS Friday (new name, no longer Black Friday) and have been drinking down my cellar. I would buy a case of Pirate Bomb if I can find it, will fill in with Pirate Noir if I must.

22. KBlodorn

KBlodorn Aspirant (267) Oct 3, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

Right, I don't believe Prairie could secure enough apple brandy barrels to make it in 2017, but I could be mistaken

23. KRubes

KRubes Aspirant (268) Sep 7, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Huge fan of Pirate Bomb. One of the best beers I've ever had, so hoping I can snag more than 1 bottle this year.

BenHoppy, bbtkd and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  24. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

So is Pirate Bomb too rum forward or just right? Curious because I had an Abyss Rum BA and it was so rum forward I ended up not liking it, was overpowering. Hoping Pirate is a little more subdued.

25. Number1Framer

Number1Framer Initiate (105) Mar 13, 2016 Wisconsin
    Trader

I was lucky to have Pirate Bomb once and it was easily the best of the half dozen or so Prairie beers I've had the chance to try. Would love to have it again but MI, IL, IA all get Prairie and WI does not. Why the hell don't they distribute to Wisconsin goddammit?!?! I've wondered this for years.

Ponzu4u, DoctorZombies and bbtkd like this.
  26. KBlodorn

Trader

The Abyss beers are not good, imo.. Pirate Bomb is phenomenal and one of the best shelfies you'll ever find. Might it be too rum-forward? Possibly, when fresh, but let that baby sit for at least a few months and it becomes something spectacular.

27. AZBeerDude72

Premium Trader

Excellent, if I locate some I will get two. Have one fresh to see how that goes and age the other. Good to know, I love rum in general but man that Abyss was rough. I am sort of with you on Abyss, they are not high on my list honestly.
    Thanks for the info, appreciate it :sunglasses:

28. KBlodorn

Trader

You got it, sir, good luck

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  29. KRubes

Trader

Pirate Bomb as a shelfie? Must be nice. :crazy_face:

flat_lander and croush like this.
  30. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (415) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Trader

It is a shelfie, that just means it's distributed and bought off the shelf which Pirate Bomb is. You don't have to wait in line at the brewery or be a member of a club to get it, it's a shelfie.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  31. KRubes

Trader

I know what it is, hence my emoji. I think it's funny because they don't hit the shelves here they go so fast.

32. bbtkd

Premium

Oddly enough, I was disappointed with Rum Abyss because of the lack of rum taste. Pirate Bomb is rum forward, but that's what I like. Be sure to age Pirate Bomb or Noir at least 6 months; Bomb went from outstanding to phenomenal and Noir went from meh to outstanding.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  33. bbtkd

Premium

Any sightings of Pirate Bomb or Pirate Noir on store shelves? Has not turned up here yet.

34. OrangeMen

OrangeMen Disciple (306) Jan 26, 2014 New York

Pirate Bomb is only second for me to Apple Brandy Noir, so if you love Prairie stouts and haven't tried that one......then get it. I am partial to AB Noir just because the flavor profile fits what I like. And I have yet to try my bottle of Bourbon Paradise yet, so that could also leap frog in these rankings.

Apple Brandy Noir will be released summer time 2018 per Prairie twitter response from late last year.

35. bbtkd

Premium

I was underwhelmed with Bourbon Paradise, but now I'm committed to giving it five more tries since I got a sixer. I'll try aging it a bit.

36. KBlodorn

Trader

Yes. Maybe the most overrated beer of 2017.

37. flat_lander

flat_lander Devotee (409) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Well, message me if you ever want to foray into the world of trading. I'll be happy to take a few of those underwhelming beers off your hands.

38. readyski

readyski Aspirant (224) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

Definitely on the lookout for the Pirate Bomb :stuck_out_tongue:

39. Nhens0016

Nhens0016 Aspirant (246) Aug 23, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

Wow.... just wow. I thought that was one of the best beers I had all year!

40. bbtkd

Premium

I prefer BA Bomb, Pirate Bomb, Pirate Noir, and Coffee Noir over Bourbon Paradise. But it might wake up with some aging. Meanwhile, we all wait for the Pirates...