price gouging - grand rapids

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by GRBrew, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GRBrew

GRBrew Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2009 Michigan

Here is another place to avoid. I walked into Grapevine and noticed a 4 pack of black note. Went to grab it and was shocked to see it priced at 36. I asked the owner working there if it was right and he said it was and asked if I knew what it was going for on the internet. I told him if he was going to do eBay prices I wasn't shopping there anymore.

fishtremble, adamdd, raymo55 and 3 others like this.
  2. Michigan

Michigan Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 Michigan

$9/bottle isn't as outrageous as i've seen it. In metro Detroit, a guy was selling it for $12/bottle and sold out within hours on the release day

3. GRBrew

GRBrew Initiate (0) Jan 12, 2009 Michigan

4. steebo777

steebo777 Initiate (0) Jun 30, 2009 Michigan

LOL @ this place. What a fucking joke.

5. alelover

alelover Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 Michigan

if you have the money to blow then its not that bad of a deal imo. its a amazing beer and i haven't seen it on shelves since the day it hit them. i mean its only like $12 more then what bells sold them for.

6. MacJenkins

MacJenkins Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2012 Michigan

I enjoy the "Bell's will not be making this again" bit of misinformation. Pretty sure there were Facebook pics of them filling barrels just the other day. I'm doubting he meant the 2012 vintage either.

7. bierenutz

bierenutz Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2010 Michigan

I've got an idiot store owner in my neck of the woods who gave me the same lame ass answer to her outrageous gouging and my response was "good luck" and I walked out and haven't been back in about a year. I simply refuse to be complicit with such bullshit logic. :astonished:

8. MarcatGSB

MarcatGSB Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2011 Michigan

Awesome, thanks for sharing. The Craigslist is classic.

9. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

So, did anyone report this to Bells? Not that I know bells will do anything, but the people at founders have said they take care of things like this

10. OHLRangers

OHLRangers Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2007 Michigan

:hifive:

11. marcgo2

marcgo2 Crusader (426) Nov 16, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

12. chronie

chronie Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 Illinois

It was fun... the few years owners did not pay attention to craft beer and or their special releases. Now it seems that almost weekly bottle shop owners are gouging prices because they read a newspaper article about the beer they sell. I can attest that happening to my two favorite stores in just the past year

13. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

$40 for a bottle of Juliet?! Around here its $16 and has been sitting on the shelf unsold for about 6 months now...

JohnB87 likes this.
  14. LSMroz

LSMroz Zealot (672) Jan 25, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Just emailed a guy on CL posting a KH and Bramble asking if he wanted to trade and got a response that he was not interested in trading. Here was the signature at the bottom of email.

--
    Rikin Patel

The R Ware Investments
    Best Value Liquors
    6105 W Roosevelt Rd
    Cicero IL 60804
    O: 708-652-0114
    C: 630-253-8920

15. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

Holy F.

I hate the eBay horseshit. Those are ASKING prices. Places that make comments like that need to be burnt to the ground, molotov cocktail style. Kidding of course. :wink:

16. Corbet

Corbet Pundit (774) Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Best Value Liquors is a joke. Sadly I resorted to buying from them on Black Friday when I was in Chicago - they were selling Cherry Rye and Coffee for $30 a bottle and they were the only place that had bottles of them. They also had the latest Firestone Walker Anniversary Beer for $35.

I begrudgingly walked out with a bottle of Cherry Rye.

LSMroz likes this.
  17. semibaked

semibaked Pooh-Bah (1,897) Mar 27, 2007 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Deactivated

Their prices are gouging, somewhat pricey yes, gouging absolutely not.

18. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can't price gouge a luxury product.

CaptainNomihodai likes this.
  19. c64person

c64person Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2010 Michigan

It really seems like the best way to prevent 'price gouging' as it were to just not purchase the product. Obviously Cherry Rye and Coffee were worth $30 a bottle to this guy, so why not charge that much for it?

20. Corbet

Corbet Pundit (774) Nov 7, 2010 Michigan
    Trader

Cherry Rye, at the time, was worth $30 to me. The others, however, were not, so I didn't purchase them. The stores are well within their right to charge whatever they want, but most brewers are not happy when this kind of pricing occurs and they want to know about it. Maybe Goose Island (and AB Inbev) don't care, but lots of other breweries do.

If you over charge for your limited beer releases, you'll be the last store I go to for more regularly available beers on principle alone. I wish these liquor stores would understand that - you're only hurting yourself in the long run when I choose to go to another store for the latest Pipeworks release or some Daisy Cutter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.