Priming with Pear (or other fruit) juice

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by beerinNV, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beerinNV

beerinNV Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 Nevada

I wanted to get the communities experiences/opinions on utilizing pear juice for bottle carbonating as opposed to corn sugar. I know Logsdon does it quite successfully, and am wondering if it's something I might like to try.

Does it work well for them because of the styles of beer they make?
    What are your thoughts about an IPA (or double or triple IPA) primed with pear juice? How about a big stout?
    In that same vein, is there a good source for organic (read non GMO) grains, malt extracts (dry or liquid), etc.

Looking forward to your insight

2. beerinNV

beerinNV Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2012 Nevada

I'm guessing by the crickets this is not a common practice. Also wondering what an appropriate amount of juice would be for say a 5 gallon batch...

3. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Initiate (0) Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

The appropriate amount would vary depending on the desired amount of carbonation you want. If you read the nutrition label you can see how many grams of sugar are in the juice then use the calculator to determine how many grams you need for your batch. I don't know the sugar makeup of each fruit, but I think using the sucrose measurement would get you in the ballpark.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/
    http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

Google is another good resource too. This topic has been discussed on other forums.

beerinNV likes this.
  4. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 Initiate (0) May 11, 2007 Minnesota

The quantity is probably low enough that you would not detect the juice in the finished product.

But, if you do this and figure it out please report back. I would be interested to hear your findings.

NiceFly likes this.
  5. NiceFly

NiceFly Aspirant (275) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

I agree with mnstorm99 that the amount of juice probably would not impact the flavor.

Hovever, no reason not to try if you want. I would take a gravity sample of the juice and consider that 100% fermentable. Calculate how much juice for your desired carbonation level and go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.