Probably One Of The Best Beers You Have Ever Had....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hophugger, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blues_fever

blues_fever Initiate (170) Apr 2, 2015 California
    Trader

Hard to say and pick just one of the ones that I have had, but Pliny the Younger is definitely up there. Damn that is an amazing beer.

2. BSanch8

BSanch8 Initiate (94) Apr 16, 2015 California

Pugachev's Royale and Cobra does it for me.

Tdizzle, KhakCane and fredmugs like this.
  3. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Crusader (789) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Trader

the 2014 BCBS I just had

4. gdegraff1

gdegraff1 Initiate (0) Aug 4, 2014 Florida

I too was shocked at how good this was, totally surprised. CBS lived above its expectations, and DBL BA Mexican Cake I had a Hunaphu's Day was incredible!

5. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (136) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

The Derivation blends from SP! Best BA stouts I've ever had. I sat on them for about 2 hours and was upset when they were gone. ADWTD is WOW as well.

6. Shroud0fdoom

Shroud0fdoom Poo-Bah (1,888) Oct 31, 2013 Maryland
    Society

Double Barrel Jesus. I just wish I could get another Bottle.

7. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,972) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Isabelle Proximus. Wish I could have had more than a taster glass, as it was the most stunningly delicious beer I ever have tried.

First batch Hunahpu's on tap took me so much by surprise with its amazing dark and bold flavors.

Didn't try first batch of this, but second batch Alpine Great was the finest BA barley wine ever

In terms of greatest and most pleasant surprise, my friend Derek's (now brewmaster at Kent Falls) White Manna, a wild ale, had it as a homebrew next to Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Crooked Stave, and it was just as fine.

tobelerone likes this.
  8. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (506) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

You spend enough time on here and other beer sites, then a hype is built up around various beers. It is a real thing, but so many have lived up to hype for me and could probably be one of the best beers I have ever had:

CBS- thrilled I got to try this, it was everything I expected and more- had two pours
    Heady- always fantastic and deserving of #1 ranking
    Zombie Dust- when fresh it's smooth, drinkable and delicious
    BCBVR- the vanilla flavor was just incredible.
    2013 Prop- one of the most amazing beers i've ever had
    DBH- total beergasm
    Cali Huna- bigger beergasm
    PtE- epitome of a west coast dipa

AndyEdgar likes this.
  9. aleckpa

aleckpa Zealot (570) Dec 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Trader

Westbrook Mexican Cake and NoDa Hop Drop N Roll (in it's prime). Also, Fonta Flora made a one off called Mexi-Monk and it tasted very similar to Mexican Cake.

10. skunkpuddle

skunkpuddle Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2011 California

Why not let the guy enjoy his favorite beer he has ever had. The constant need to make it about the next better thing fails to allow the user to live in the moment. I realize it makes you feel better about yourself and allows you to lift yourself and your tastes above that of this young man. However it only makes you look like a small,small man. I mean be real. I've never heard anyone say they like cinnamon rolls. I've never heard anyone say how great Cinnamon toast crunch is. What is your goal to constantly prop up cinnamon. It doesn't solve the floods in Texas. I've never heard of cinnamon being used to fight anorexia. How can you sit there on your high horse and blatantly and unabashedly discount all other beers because they don't have cinnamon. Where do you get off sir. I demand a personal apology. At this point it's not even about you or me or cinnamon anymore. It's about that young child. A young child who has a dream, has a desire to be able to go about their day without the c word being dumped in their face all and every day. You sir are an embarrassment.

Mehinaman, Coned, desint and 5 others like this.
  11. deadsincebirth

Trader

12. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (410) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

All nighter? Or did you just start early?

13. NHbeerguy

NHbeerguy Devotee (463) Aug 26, 2013 New Hampshire

The beer that completely blew me away was Treehouse Good Morning!! This beer is the best stout both BA and Non BA that I have had.

14. Friendlyfire

Friendlyfire Initiate (0) Jul 31, 2014 Virginia

The first time I had Alchemy Hour/Chillwave changed me.

BWM-77 likes this.
  15. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (217) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

After I drank my first Surly Coffee Bender last year I slapped myself for not trying it sooner.
    Zombie Dust wasn't a game changer, but it certainly lived up to the hype the first time I had it.

16. deadsincebirth

Trader

I would drink Coffee Bender every day for my whole life!

Powderhornphil likes this.
  17. sternamagrapha7x

sternamagrapha7x Initiate (158) Dec 4, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Columbus brewing co. - Bodhi dipa. best beer iv ever had in my life hands down better than pliney, heady, zd and hopslam.

18. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Zealot (570) Sep 30, 2014 Illinois

When I want my tastebuds trampled into oblivion with flavor and ABV, it's Schneider Weisse Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock, with honorary mentions to St. Benardus Abt 12 and Wulver.

When I want something a bit less obtrusive, it's Ayinger Brau Weisse, with honorary mentions to Mahr's Ungespundet and Eliot Ness.

taxandbeerguy and Jerry434445 like this.
  19. Donco

Donco Devotee (470) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

BBB: Fantastic stuff!

do_ob likes this.
  20. Hendrick24

Hendrick24 Defender (666) Sep 6, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

ISO: Cinnamon Heady Topper

21. SveNss0N

SveNss0N Disciple (355) Feb 16, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Recently acquired and split a bottle of Side Project's La Fosse and was completely floored. Arguibly the best beer I've had in the past year.

22. gholmes

gholmes Initiate (153) Oct 25, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Hair of the Dog - Adam from the Wood; Cantillion Saint Lamvinus at the brewery; BCBCS; Vanilla Rye; Heady Topper - really that good. Juicebag from Mikkeller, Imperial Extra Double Stout (2011) from A. Le Coq; Cuvee de Tomme

23. msscott1973

msscott1973 Devotee (431) Dec 28, 2013 North Carolina

lol i want to subscribe to your newsletter

24. taxandbeerguy

taxandbeerguy Poo-Bah (2,786) Jul 12, 2013 Canada
    Society

The first time I had Rochefort 10, I threw my arms up in the air and wondered aloud (to the beer Gods), how did the brewers make a beer smell and taste like this. Completely blew my mind.

hophugger and UrbanCaveman like this.
  25. wyckyd_sceptre

wyckyd_sceptre Initiate (0) Oct 26, 2013 Pennsylvania

Tequila Barrel Aged Mexican Cake has probably been my biggest WOW.

26. BryanP

BryanP Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2013 North Carolina
    Deactivated

Maine Dinner and Sip of Sunshine
    Can't decide, both were awesome!

27. Himself

Himself Initiate (177) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Maine Beer Co. Hop Program Beer 1

28. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,484) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

1. The Heady Topper I watched get canned after several days of hiking the Long Trail.
    2. Barrel Aged Ten FIDY
    3. Fresh CBS on tap at Founders
    4. Pugachev Royale

Onenote81 and KhakCane like this.
  29. EveningCordial

EveningCordial Disciple (300) Apr 29, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Duck Duck
    Huna
    MBC Dinner
    CBS

30. WelshBrewer

WelshBrewer Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2013 Oregon

Sahati from Ale Apothecary, it wowed me, too bad I only had one, went to get another and the price jumped $5 so instead of $30 it was $35 sad to say I passed, kinda jerked my chain to say the least.

31. QueefLatina

QueefLatina Initiate (0) Mar 19, 2015 New Jersey

Southampton Black Raspberry Lambic was my "wow" beer that blew my mind. Didn't think a beer could be that jammy, tart, and still perfectly carbonated. Also, I had to leave a share and someone said "we're opening Chez Monus next, do you wanna stay?" Easily the best AWA I've had in the past year, thankful I stayed when it was popped.

32. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Poo-Bah (1,819) Jan 26, 2013 Canada
    Society

I had Achel Extra Bruin, and was expecting a good quad, but was really surprised with how damn good it was. It is kind of funny because Achel does not have a lot of support or a strong reputation in Belgium.

33. A_Rad

A_Rad Aspirant (290) May 8, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

CBS, Barrel Aged Ten Fidy, and Central Waters 17 all wowed me

Powderhornphil likes this.
  34. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Disciple (396) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

My first Heady Topper lived up to the hype. My first Bourbon County Barleywine exceeded it. Double Dry Hopped Melcher Street from Trillium just blew my expectations away. Others have been pleasant surprises, lots of great beers out there.

35. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (873) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Pliny the Elder still blows me away every time I have it. The level of balance in an unbalanced style and the drinkability are off the chart.

JamLand, RandyV and Mtj28 like this.
  36. cser

cser Initiate (51) Feb 12, 2015 Pennsylvania

Sunday Morning Stout

TurkeyFeathers likes this.
  37. Mike_Aguirre

Mike_Aguirre Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 Mexico

I just tried a 1.5 year cellared The Brewmaster´s Edition by Gulden Draak, it blew my mind, awesome beer.

hophugger likes this.
  38. jstilwell

jstilwell Disciple (310) Oct 21, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

so underrated! I still have a couple with the old blue label. I keep saving for a special occasion.

39. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Wow. Good Question OP. I think the first time I had BCBCS, it was like a religious experience. Also HF IPA's blew me away with their depth and how clean tasting they are, really phenominal stuff.

hophugger likes this.
  40. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,162) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

The non-barrel aged Vietnamese speedway stout blew my mind. Don't know what would happen to me if I dare to try the barrel-aged version.

wheelzntoys and GetMeAnIPA like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.