Probably One Of The Best Beers You Have Ever Had....

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hophugger, May 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToddSoonerFan

ToddSoonerFan Disciple (316) Aug 23, 2013 Iowa

I remember the the 1st time I tried Bomb. I couldn't believe a stout could be that good. My neighbor agreed! Haven't had a stout yet that compares! With all due respect. I hate barrel aged beers.

Powderhornphil likes this.
  2. Druid_51

Druid_51 Initiate (142) Aug 11, 2013 Kentucky

Alpha King....I've led a sheltered life....

3. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

If you like cinnamon then Abraxas is the beer you're looking for. Don't get me wrong, MC is a great beer, but Abraxas is the Cinnamon King. It's so cinnamony that I'm pretty sure it is curing anorexia.

Speaking of which, Abraxas would be right up there in terms of mind altering beers. Others in consideration:

Tank 7 (I know it's not rare, but damn I can't think of another hoppy saison that is better)
    BCBBW
    Hommage
    PseudoSue
    Arthur

Folks, that is how you satire.

I'm fairly certain anyway...

Skagnetti likes this.
  4. controlfate

controlfate Aspirant (203) Feb 22, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

My taste have evolved over the years, as I've explored new breweries and styles of beer. Hopslam was my introduction to craft beer, and Dragon's Milk was my first barrel-aged beer. At the time, I was overly impressed by both beers, similar to the first time I tried Heady Topper of Pliny. 2013 BCBCS really reaffirmed my love for barrel-aged and craft beer in general.

Years later I was blown away by 2014 TG Assassin, and Atrial Rubicite respectively. It's exciting to think there are still yet beers out there that blow these two out of the water.

5. loafinaround

loafinaround Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2011 New York

mogli and xocoveza come to mind....

6. Skagnetti

Skagnetti Aspirant (234) Dec 6, 2013 Colorado

Already relayed this story once, but I split a Momi Hiwa at Backcountry Pizza in Boulder with my buddy after the Avery Strong Ale Fest. We we're both rocked, however even through my drunken haze I fully recognized it was one of the best beers I had ever had! My friend felt the same. We proceeded to walk 2 miles back to our office in zero degree temps only to pretty much pass out on a couple of sofas. What a great beer I kept thinking as I fell into my beer induced coma...

GabberGod likes this.
  7. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,432) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Caught me off guard with greatness? Have to be Rodenbach Grand Cru, Bourbon County Coffee (after I had BCBS and was so/so with that one), 3Bros. Resolute & Savage Blonde (before the hype), and DFH D'Extra

Lived up to the hype? Everything from HF I've sampled, Heady, Sucks, Pliny, Sip o Sunshine, Westbrook Gose

8. mattymoe812

mattymoe812 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2014 Indiana

Permanent Funeral is up there for me along with Grapefruit Sculpin.

Jnashed likes this.
  9. GabberGod

GabberGod Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2014 California

[​IMG]
    All of these beers absolutely blew me away the first time I had them. Tons of flavor, great mouth feel, all unique in their own right. I will say I have had DBH (twice) as well as Assassin but for the amount I had to trade to get them I didn't find that they were worth it. You have to trade almost 10x more for those beers and you aren't getting 10x the flavor. Would happily trade for any of these beers again though.

10. DabblinWiscCraft

DabblinWiscCraft Zealot (520) Jul 5, 2011 Wisconsin

Being a pretty fanatical hop head who hasn't had easy access to beers outside of the Midwest until recently, I've been trying an awful lot of IPAs and DIPAs of late: I don't know if I could put a very accurate figure on it, but I've probably tried around a hundred of them for the first time this last year. Included in that number are fantastic beers like Stone IPA, Sculpin (and Grapefruit Sculpin), Fresh Squeezed, Sucks, and DirtWolf. But I was never out-of-this-world wowed by an IPA until I had a glass of Todd the Axe Man fresh from the factory at the Surly Brew Hall this past weekend. Unbelievably good beer.

StoneBrewing likes this.
  11. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,560) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Pliny the Elder is the best-tasting beer that I've ever had, but because of all of the hype baggage that accompanies this one it wasn't quite as enjoyable as it could have been because I was pre-conditioned. However, a beer that blew me away that does not get widespread hype is Ching Ching from Bend Brewing. It's one of the first sours that I've ever had, and it was a very enjoyable experience. http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/361/70099/

12. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

Any number of PBR's on a hot summer afternoon after getting off of work as a lineman for GTE (General Telephone) in Hobart, IN. That is, at least for me, when beer tastes the best. That is back in the day (the 60s) when there was no boom or ladder truck, no power tools or augers. Setting a pole line the old fashion way, was by the sweat of your brow, and the breaking of your back... That is when beer tastes the best!

So, my vote is when you are dead beat up after work, that first beer is the best beer ever!

Phigg1102 likes this.
  13. Plissken

Plissken Initiate (159) Jun 3, 2013 Massachusetts

Got some Tree House Julius on Saturday. It is beautiful.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  14. spark3148857

spark3148857 Crusader (773) Dec 4, 2010 Ohio

FW Parabola and PNC blew my mind the first time I had them. Cellarmaker Hop Killah and Dank Statement. FFF Permanent Funeral and Hell's Black Intelligencer.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  15. Mlkluther

Mlkluther Initiate (0) Sep 22, 2014 Canada (AB)

As a late comer to enjoying beer I have been making up for lost time :-). Where I live in Canada I don't have access to all the beer I hear about in the U.S. - but I'm trying!

The first time I had a Trappiste Rochefort 10 it was a revelation of what beer could be.

On an entirely different note - the first time I had Lagunitas Sucks I understood what a West Coast IPA could be.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  16. stealth

stealth Zealot (561) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota

Just going to post this one because its the most recent to really blow me away: Sudwerk's Funke Hop Farm

17. Nachojon

Nachojon Initiate (0) Sep 17, 2011 Oregon

Just had Heady Topper for the first time in 2+ years.... It's legit.

18. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Poo-Bah (1,708) Jan 8, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

Sorry, yep! The Temptation. So good!

19. fureousangel

fureousangel Initiate (0) May 19, 2012 California

I am completely biased, but each and every time I have a Pliny The Edler I am wowed. Absolute perfection each and every single time.

However, I've had the ability to have five different growlers of fresh Hill Farmstead, some bottles, and drafts, and I have been completely amazed, floored, and wowed by the flavors of each one.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  20. esetter

esetter Initiate (0) Nov 17, 2014 Tennessee

Top Gun IPA at Blind Tiger Brewing in Topeka Kansas

21. Tdizzle

Tdizzle Devotee (445) Dec 19, 2006 California
    Deactivated

Yesterday, I shared a 2008 Alaskan Smoked Poter with friends. I was completely blown away by it. Surprisingly mild oxidization, and a soft smokiness. I was sad when it was gone. Also, I had Prairie Bomb! for the first time a few weeks ago, and it has one of the best aromas I have ever encountered in a beer.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  22. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Crusader (779) Sep 29, 2013 New York

Most recently I'd have to say Other Half Mosaic. Maybe the best IPA I've had.

23. FrancisT

FrancisT Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2008 Vermont

I'm opening a 2 year old Oak Aged Yeti this weekend. With the kids and wife away, in the cellar I will play!

UrbanCaveman likes this.
  24. JStampler

JStampler Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2013 Pennsylvania

Best I've ever had
    IPA: HF Double Citra
    Sour: Allagash Farm to Face
    Stout: Vanilla Rye

All blew my mind.

25. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (140) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

Allagash Four.

26. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (546) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

In the last 2 months I've enjoyed 3 beers that have lived up to the considerable hype or even surpassed it. Founders both KBS and CBS floored me, outstanding pours. Then just this weekend Goose Island BCBS - believe the hype on all 3 of these. But an un-expected wow was Crickethills BBA Imperial Porter. Right up there with the best.

27. gobuccos

gobuccos Devotee (407) Apr 28, 2014 Ohio

Two trips to Milwaukee. Stopped at 3Floyds on 10/02/2014, had Zombie Dust bottled on 10/01/2014. Stopped at 3Floyds on 5/01/2015, had Zombie Dust bottled on 4/30/2015. Both batches were amazing.

28. slavall

slavall Aspirant (247) May 27, 2012 Wisconsin

A one year old bottle of "Last Kiss" by Pipeworks. Thought it was amazing even amongst Darkness, Central Waters Sixteen and some others we were tasting that day.

29. Sound_Explorer

Sound_Explorer Poo-Bah (2,010) Dec 29, 2013 Washington
    Society

Perennial's 17 Mint Chocolate Imp Stout. Tastes like Andes mint chocolate pieces with booze in it. MMmmmmmmmm *drool over myself*

30. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Crusader (735) Mar 28, 2009 California

The first thing that would happen is a complete disenegration of your cellar as you would trade them all chasing the BAVSS dragon. I speak from experience.

31. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,313) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

I don't have anything worth trading for. Would a kidney suffice?

GetMeAnIPA likes this.
  32. LordCrabapple

LordCrabapple Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2006 England

33. 4ingredients

4ingredients Initiate (0) May 22, 2009 Massachusetts

For me, there are 2 that I always speak with the highest regard ........ The 2008 Gouden Carolus Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw (drank in 2012), and then Weyerbacher's Blasphemy.

34. BeardofBeers

BeardofBeers Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2015 New York

Breckenridge Barrel Aged 471 IPA Dry-Hopped Sorachi Ace. Didn't expect to like a BBA IPA but holy g'dam!!!

35. Jnashed

Jnashed Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2014 Virginia

Perm Funeral is amazing

36. Capt_Quint

Capt_Quint Initiate (157) May 29, 2015 Massachusetts
    Trader

I still can't get over how good Trillium's Heavy Mettle was - and I had it back in January. It's the DIPA to which I compare all others.

37. zookerman182

zookerman182 Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2013 Alabama

Did a blind ipa tasting with julius, king sue and pipeworks sure bet and pipeworks absolutely destroyed them.
    Its like drinking pureed orange and mango juice with a splash of hops.
    easily my new favotire ipa by a mile

favorite stout is still double barrel huna

favorite sour is gose gone wild

38. charlzm

charlzm Poo-Bah (2,464) Sep 3, 2007 California
    Society

The first time I had Alesmith Speedway Stout from a 750ml bottle (must have been 2006 or so)...I couldn't even. I had no beer vocabulary to explain what was happening in my mouth. It reset my expectations of what an imperial stout could be.

I still respect that beer with a near-religious fervor.

39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,060) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I had a fellow BA move to new York and she surprised me with a HF juicy. I still lament about that beer...

cavedave likes this.
  40. SLewis

SLewis Aspirant (247) Jun 17, 2014 North Carolina

Prairie Bomb!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.