Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Proper English Bitters in the States/New England?

Discussion in 'New England' started by CheezyBlaster, Feb 25, 2012.

1. CheezyBlaster

CheezyBlaster Sep 16, 2011 Massachusetts

Looking for some recommendations in New England. I've had some here that are close. I haven't seen anything for bulk purchase either. thanks.
  2. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Can you give some examples of British ones that hit the mark and the American ones that just missed? It might help narrow it down.
  3. woosterbill

woosterbill Apr 6, 2009 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

While it's not a Bitter per se, my favorite English-style beer in New England is Cottrell Old Yankee Ale, a nice malty 5% brew.
  4. keithmurray

keithmurray Oct 7, 2009 New York

Don't know if you can get it where you are but if you can get your hands on it try Yard's Pugilist Brawler, some good stuff!
    chadb likes this.
  5. CheezyBlaster

CheezyBlaster Sep 16, 2011 Massachusetts

Good question, and hard to say . . . something that tastes like it came from cask would be great? Lol. I mean, I went on a little search looking for a bitter reminiscent of some of the pub stuff I had in the UK, but it's all different. Honker's, Hedgerow, Bitter American, and others that just taste like good American takes on Eng Pales.
  6. emannths

emannths Sep 21, 2007 Massachusetts

Have you gotten a change to try CBC's ESB on cask? That might do it for you, but brewpub-only of course. You should be able to find Fullers in bottles. Maybe Old Thumper from Shipyard?

Part of the challenge to find a British doppelganger is that the British renditions were probably lower ABV than just about anything on American shelves. And the British imports have been pasteurized and are usually old, whereas they're pipin' fresh on cask in England.
  7. Number45forever

Number45forever Jan 6, 2012 Vermont
    Beer Trader

I had Portsmouth's ESB when I picked up my Kate tickets and it was phenomenal. I've been to a couple English bars in NYC that had really good imported bitters on draft, and they were better. But Portsmouth did that beer really well.
    GrittyMug345 and chadb like this.
  8. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

In Burlington area, both Queen City Brewing and Goodwater both make a proper English-style Bitter, and are very proud to do so. Former in bottles, latter in cans. Both on draft locally and in their tasting rooms.
    yarnbomb likes this.
  9. rhino88888888

rhino88888888 Dec 12, 2013 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

10. yarnbomb

yarnbomb Oct 1, 2014 Vermont

Goodwater's is especially delicious.
  11. Auror

Auror Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

This is a 4-year old thread :confused:
  12. duchessedubourg

duchessedubourg Nov 2, 2007 Vermont
    Beer Trader

How the hell does that happen, anyway??!!
  13. LukieBL

LukieBL Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Confusing page. Has directions to Haverhill but fest is in Salem?
  14. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

When I clicked on the link the address is 94 Washington Square, Salem.

And under directions it says, "Directions to the fall festival will be posted soon."

They tweeted out that the location is in Salem too. Go to Salem, it'll be awesome. And it's after Halloween, so it won't be a shit show. Worst case scenario if this is all wrong, Notch is there. Which I'm going to anyway after the festival.
  15. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Good point on the abv%. Firestone Walker DBA is nice, but is an even 5% Old Thumper is solid.
  16. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

As a huge huge fan of English bitters, and pretty much any session English ale (especially on cask), I routinely rock Honker's Ale.

It shows up here quite fresh (within a month or s) fairly often, whenever a new batch comes in I pick some up. Very good stuff, and spot on in my opinion. 4.3% ABV, close enough. About as good as you'll get in the bottle in MA, obviously you can't buy English cask at the liquor store.

Timothy Taylor's Landlord and Boltcutter are awesome, but I can't really figure out the bottling date, so I typically don't buy it unless I see new bottles at my store.

Fuller's London Pride is excellent as well, but it's not their bitter technically, and a bit higher in bottle at 4.7% ABV. Also, I can NEVER find it fresh anymore, it's always incredibly old. I believe I had it on cask at the Coat of Arms in Portsmouth, and if I'm remember which beer I had correctly, it was delicious.

Riverwalk Uncle Bob's Bitter is in cans too, at 4.5% ABV, it's a bit higher, and not quite as good as Honker's, but it's another fresh option.

Aside from all that, follow NERAX on Twitter, they always keep you posted on the latest beers on cask in MA. There's usually some English styles on cask somewhere.
    Seacoastbrewer likes this.
  17. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

They seem to be forgotten these days but Redhook's ESB is pretty decent if you can get it fresh. They almost always have at least one hand-pump on at their portsmouth facility on Pease AFB/commercial park.

Also I would take @AlcahueteJ s advice and hit up the Coat of Arms in Portsmouth for hand-pumps regularly. Portsmouth Brewery also always has two beer engines, but I can't remember the last time they had a bitter on.
    FrankLloydMike and AlcahueteJ like this.
  18. elucas730

elucas730 Feb 5, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

Seneca Lake Brewing Company in Dundee, NY is an all British Real Ale brewery. Everything in cask and yes, they do have a proper English Bitter. The first annual New York State Cask Ale Festival will be on October 15 at Woodland Farm Brewery in Marcy, NY.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!