PSA: Live Oak to Discontinue Distribution in DFW

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by LiveOakBrewing, Apr 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LiveOakBrewing

LiveOakBrewing Initiate (0) Dec 25, 2015 Texas

Saturday, April 29, 2017

Dear Friends and Fans in Dallas/Forth Worth,

Yesterday afternoon we made the difficult decision to discontinue our DFW distribution operations. Since our expansion last year, Live Oak has been on a growth trajectory that none of us could have imagined. This year, we planned to repeat the 50% growth we did in 2016 and continued with operations with the expectation that all normative growth trajectories would remain in place. If there was any concern that the craft beer industry might be slowing, we’re certainly not seeing it.

In fact, even with recent increases in production capacity, we are up against our maximum production threshold and we find ourselves in a position where we can’t make enough beer to satisfy demand in all our territories. If we continue at our current pace, Live Oak will produce upwards of 30,000 barrels this year. That is 100% more beer than we made last year. That is also approximately 10,000 more barrels than we currently have cellar capacity for.

We hope that by temporarily withdrawing from DFW to grow our capacity and shore up our home markets, we will be able to re-enter twice as strong with adequate supply of beer and with local distributor support. In the meantime, you can still find our beers in Waco, Austin, Houston and San Antonio. Our taproom is always open and we plan to be back as soon as we can.

Thank you all for your impeccable taste.

Live Oak Brewing Company

2. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (219) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

Nooooo! That's some of the worst news. We loved being able too regularly get the Hefeweizen and Pilz. Hopefully you'll be able to get everything settled and back. We'll be excited and ready when you do.

3. Techichi

Techichi Devotee (495) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

You will be missed...hurry back!

4. JJFoodie

JJFoodie Initiate (138) May 11, 2009 Texas

While this makes me incredibly sad, I know you guys will be back in full force! Live Oak Hefe is perfect in every way, and is my desert island beer. I guess I'll just have to stock up when I head south. One thing, though...when you guys return, please return correctly - I want to be able to find 6pks readily available, and not just as one particular store's Cannonball Run...

5. cfh64

cfh64 Zealot (531) Aug 16, 2005 Texas
    Trader

Well FUCK! The hefe is one of the only six packs I ever purchase anymore and I bought a lot of it.

BullDoza, gtermi and JJFoodie like this.
  6. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Meyvn (1,055) Feb 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society Trader

As someone who purchases a six pack of hefe on a regular basis this is sad to hear. Makes sense that you want to get your affairs in order though and I'm already anxiously awaiting your return.

7. NiceFly

NiceFly Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Tajikistan

Not a bad problem to have I guess.

8. mattisloco

mattisloco Disciple (303) Feb 13, 2007 Texas

Well, thanks for the ....tease.

I hope you'll still allow Specs you distribute your stuff up this way after you pull out.

We all look forward to your second coming.

gtermi and JJFoodie like this.
  9. jdimento

jdimento Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Texas

@Clarkson Let me know if you need anything and ill get it up there

10. Cowboys9

Cowboys9 Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2009 Texas

Well my summer poolside drinking plans are ruined.

Eddiehop and gtermi like this.
  11. ExperimentalAles

ExperimentalAles Initiate (0) May 24, 2012 Texas

Huge bummer!!! I drink Hefe more than any other beer. those 6 packs are bomb, I'll have to be more diligent about stocking up when in Austin.

Ford likes this.
  12. thirdeye11

thirdeye11 Initiate (0) Feb 3, 2009 Texas

Guess I'll be making the trip to Waco more often than anticipated!

That being said, DFW drinks a lot of good beer. We hope you'll be back soon!

Cheers,
    Chad

JJFoodie likes this.
  13. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

DFW residents will need to plan some trips to other cities.. because Live Oak is canning their Berliner Weiss.... and it will be an amazing summer beer to have in Texas. I drank it several times last summer, but had to have it at bars.... got one growler fill.... I'm going to be buying a lot of six packs of this for the hottest days.

14. ilikebeer03

ilikebeer03 Meyvn (1,202) Oct 17, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Will they be sending the Berliner to Houston? I don't think Gold has made it out of Austin yet, unfortunately.

15. TTUJohn

TTUJohn Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2012 Texas

Pretty sure it has. I definitely went through a 6 pack and I haven't been to Austin in a while.

16. ilikebeer03

Trader

Haven't seen it in Houston, then.

17. Ford

Ugh... I hope so... if not I'll be figuring out the closet place to go and buy 3 or 4 six packs for the summer.

18. Dwood1466

Dwood1466 Initiate (78) Feb 3, 2017 Texas
    Trader

I live in Lubbock and it's out here. So I'd assume it's in most parts of Texas.

Ford likes this.
  19. BullDoza

BullDoza Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2014 Texas

Bummer. Why pull out of DFW over other markets? Simply because of proximity?

20. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Aspirant (219) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

If the problem is as Live Oak says struggling to keep up with demand and concentration to be able to grow before redistributing to DFW then it may still make sense to sell in Lubbock.

I believe Live Oak self distributes. The market in Lubbock is a lot smaller than the one in DFW. There are just a few stores/bars there and it'd be easier to meet demand. Even though it's a ~6 hour drive it'll be easier on the company then the 3.5 hour drive to DFW with hundreds of bars/stores with a much bigger population.

DFW has closer proximity to Live Oak but it's harder to meet demand than the longer distance to Lubbock.

Dwood1466 likes this.
  21. AugustWest1

AugustWest1 Initiate (51) Feb 23, 2016 Texas

Had my first Live Oak Hefe last night. I loved it, but unfortunately now I know what I'll be missing.

22. Ford

It is a great beer. I still haven't seen Live Oak Berliner Weiss cans around HOuston. Boo. I need that stuff in my life.

ilikebeer03 likes this.
  23. ilikebeer03

Trader

Hoping it shows up...still haven't seen Gold in Houston either.

24. Can_has_beer

Can_has_beer Initiate (0) May 14, 2013 Texas

I saw Gold a few weekends ago at Whole Foods Woodlands. So it's around...don't know how much though

Ford and ilikebeer03 like this.
  25. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (571) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio

I know this thread is old, but I don't see a newer one, so this seems as good a place as any to ask - do they still distribute to Waco? If so, how easy is their stuff to find in Waco? I'll be somewhat nearby in a couple of weeks and I'm wondering if it's worth making the trip.

26. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (175) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

The Kroger at N. Shepherd & 11th also has the Gold.

27. ilikebeer03

Trader

Gold is excellent.

28. needMIbeer

Society Trader

I’d been seeing Live Oak in Fort Worth recently. Did distribution resume or is this old stock?

29. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,901) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

The cardboard six pack holders are dated, but not the cans themselves. So that should give you some idea of how fresh they are, unless you are just seeing singles.

30. masterofsparks

masterofsparks Zealot (571) Nov 15, 2009 Ohio

Where in Fort Worth, if you don’t mind sharing?

31. needMIbeer

Society Trader

Specs Hulen

32. andys_war_hall

andys_war_hall Initiate (0) Dec 7, 2012 Texas

I've been told that the two Spec's locations in Fort Worth are still able to get some LO. The Bryant Irving location carries Hefe only, and I've seen Primus (most recently) and some Gold, (further back) at Hulen. Its been a long time since I seen Pilz, maybe not since they left.

33. Techichi

Techichi Devotee (495) Sep 25, 2012 Texas

I was gonna say...I keep seeing the Hefe at Bryant Irvin. Didn't know if it was old stock or what. That's cool that it's still available there though.

34. ElChuques

ElChuques Initiate (0) Oct 8, 2014 Arkansas

I’d like to suggest going around Dallas and continuing up I30. Bring tons of lichtenhainer.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.