Publix Craft Beer Section Expanding?

Discussion in 'US - South' started by Bluecane, May 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

A family member of mine was recently conversing with our local store's manager. The manager said that at a recent manager's meeting, they [the managers] were informed that Publix will be expanding their craft sections significantly, even having a separate "section" for craft beer.

I can't speak to what this entails since I have no idea and that was all the detail my family member got, but it would be great to just be able to grab a Two-Hearted off the shelf without having to make a separate trip to the 1 or 2 decent stores in Coral Springs. I'm glad to see Publix recognizing the trend and getting in on it. They're already a great grocery store, and this would only make them better. (Having lived in both NC and FL, I can confidently say that, in my experience, Publix >>>> Kroger & Food Lion & even Harris Teeter.)

2. bobbidylan

bobbidylan Initiate (0) Jan 5, 2010 Florida

This would be very cool. Even better if Publix had a growler station. Some day we may even see bombers at Publix. It is a good grocery store.

3. raczkowski

raczkowski Aspirant (273) May 16, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Some publix do this. It's weird how the close proximity certain publix are from each other and how varying their beer selection is. I was at a track meet in Jacksonville last month and went and grabbed a sub from Publix and they did have a craft beer section that was separate. I hope this is true because publix is everywhere down in Florida.

4. Mavajo

Mavajo Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2007 Georgia

I visited a Publix recently that had this arrangement. BMC in the coolers, and craft on the shelves. The selection was OK. If you need some craft in a pinch or for a party, it'll do. But if you're looking for a deeper cut, it's no replacement for your local craft store.

5. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Publix is a great supermarket operator but so far a lousy craft beer seller. Their selection sucks in Miami, or at least it did for the 6 years I lived there and my last two trips there. They need to step it up. All they seem to sell is Mexican and SouthAm Lagers (I know, properly assorted to their clientele, but craft is still a huge missing for them).

6. rjknyy

rjknyy Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Georgia

My store here in Pooler, GA (just outside of Savannah) updated and expanded their selection a few weeks ago. I am guessing they added about a dozen more craft choices including Lagunitas and Stone IPA's and Dogfish Head Indian Brown.

7. Bluecane

I'm hoping for at least this, but time will tell.

For the record, this was a Coral Springs store.

8. zac16125

zac16125 Poo-Bah (2,283) Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Society Trader

My former local Publix in Sarasota had a real nice craft beer selection, including some single bottes/make your own mix sixers. Nothing crazy, about 25-30ish different singles I'd guess, and a fair amount of craft 6'ers.

My current local Publix in Clearwater has nothing like that. I think it all has to do with the store manager and not with corporate.

9. Bluecane

The impression I get was that it might have been discretionary before but it will mandatory, at least in some stores, now. He didn't say that he's making a craft section, but rather that he was file he would have such a section.

10. kiawahisland

kiawahisland Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2008 South Carolina

Which publix in Coral Springs will be doing this? I'll be down there in 2 weeks to make a few Marlins games and see the parents. We usually go to the one on Coral Ridge.

11. joshodonn

joshodonn Initiate (0) Jan 21, 2011 Florida

I think a lot of the craft beer selection at Publix also has to do with the goals of the distributors... From what I understand they are each only offered a specified amount of cooler/shelf space, so they usually maximize that with their highest-volume and most profitable offerings which unfortunately is usually BMC swill. My local Publix has a small but decent selection of some craft brews in the cooler (I can always find CCB Jai Alai, Maduro, DFH 60 and 90, some Lagunitas, some Stone, Avery, Great Divide and others) as well as a seperate section that is at room temp. They even have a few bombers of some Belgian imports (Chimay, Delirium, etc).

12. joshodonn

Oh, and I'll see if I can get some more info about this as well, I know a few of the upper management folks for the Publix Miami division.

13. Bluecane

The newer one on University and Royal Palm-ish.

A BA and a Marlins fan? Ah, a man after my own heart.

14. joshodonn

I was able to get confirmation that Publix (at least in the Miami division) is indeed generally looking to expand their craft offerings. It's not going to happen in every store, it will be location dependent.

15. LiquidDegenerate

LiquidDegenerate Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2011 Florida

Publix is easily my perferred grocer to shop with and I've seen there craft selection vary from pretty good to pitiful. Best one I know of is out in the middle of nowhere in Clermont with stores in Seminole and Largo being not far behind. Hell, one Publix in Spring Hill had bombers of Rouge Choc Stout and Chimay Blue in their wine section, then crap in the beer isle, go figure.

16. blamethemovies

blamethemovies Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2012 Florida

I'm surrounded by 4 Publix locations in 3-5 mile radius of where I live. My closet one always has some CCB, Left Hand, Avery, Lagunitas, Stone, etc but one a bit farther on SR50 has bombers as well of Chimay and a few others.

On a total side note, I'm also a huge Marlins guy and am actually rocking my Giancarlo Stanton jersey as we speak. :slight_smile:

17. Shaw

Shaw Meyvn (1,384) Aug 27, 2003 Florida

Selection can vary wildly. My local Sarasota Publix has reduced its craft selections. I used to be able to get Jai Alai, but no more (I'm guessing I was the only one buying Cigar City). I've even asked for it at customer service. Meanwhile other Publix locations a little farther away have above-average selections.

18. Bluecane

Marlins fans unite! Any of y'all can BM me if you want to plan a beer and ballgame kinda thing, especially on the weekend.

And if you want another messageboard about something you love, I highly recommend MarlinsBaseball.com.

19. Bluecane

And I was able to confirm that the Coral Springs location I referenced should unveil the new display in about 2 weeks.

I wish they would have a CCB, Funky Buddha, TBC, etc party, man would that be sick! No chance, though lol.

20. chardlogic

chardlogic Aspirant (233) Feb 18, 2011 Oregon
    Trader

It seems that the newer the Publix is (I'm referring to the more recently built ones) the better variety their craft beer sections are.

In my opinion, they still don't hold a candle to Whole Foods or Milam's Market here in Miami, but they're great when you're picking up a couple six-packs of good stuff in a pinch.

21. Bluecane

I didn't know that about Milam's, not that I'm close to one. I strongly prefer to shop at Publix (at least until I have more money!), so it's at least nice in a pinch, as you said.

22. chriscraft

chriscraft Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2012

Most publix in the south Florida area are indeed carrying craft beer the selection varies on the demand of the location.

23. MagicJeff

MagicJeff Aspirant (271) Mar 21, 2012 Georgia

The Publix in Johns Creek, GA just recently expanded their craft beer selection. Imagine my surprise as I saw Stone IPA, Bell's Two Hearted, and multiple Lagunitas, Victory and Dogfish Heads available for a "pick six" for $8.99. I am very pleased with their current selection, though I doubt they will keep those premium brews in the pick six area. Either way, it looks like Publix is making an effort to please craft beer enthusiasts in my neck of the woods.

24. GatorBeerNerd

GatorBeerNerd Devotee (460) Sep 15, 2007 Georgia

Which one are you talking about? There are a few that should have Johns Creek addresses, and looks like more than 1 that does. I know the one I go to (Old Milton and State Bridge intersection) expanded, but I did not see a pick a six selection or any of the brands you mentioned. It is mostly just better imports it seems.

25. JebediahScooter

JebediahScooter Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2010 Vermont

Publix subs are one of the top 5 things I miss about gainesville. Would be nice To be able to pick up a CCB sixer to go with an ultimate when visiting my folks.

chardlogic likes this.
  26. MagicJeff

Hey, it's the Publix right by Newtown Park, on the corner of Old Alabama and Haynes Bridge...I'm not positive if it's Alpharetta or John's Creek, sorry for the confusion. Went there yesterday and they still had Victory, Dogfish, and Lagunitas in the pick six area. Stone is only available in six packs...still a pretty good selection for Publix, IMO

27. kawilliams81

kawilliams81 Meyvn (1,292) Feb 27, 2009 Illinois

Marco Island Publix? I assume this is a wasteland like the rest of the island for craft beer?

28. flag8r

flag8r Initiate (0) Nov 7, 2009 Florida

Publix in N.E. Florida have selection but terrible cooperation with the vendors around rotation. You can find cold Sweetwater, but everything else is on an end cap where it sits and is never rotated. I don't bother anymore unless I'm in a real pinch.

29. shand

shand Meyvn (1,467) Jul 13, 2010 Florida
    Trader

Blue Moon and Shock Top really put the squeeze on some of the craft space available at my Publix when they changed out the beer area. There's now four slots for Shock Top 6 packs and four slots for 12 packs, and three slots for Blue Moon six packs and three for twelve packs. We lost Two-Hearted Ale, among other casualties. I can still pick up Jai Alai, Maduro, 60/90 Minute, Noble Pils, SNPA cans, Torpedo twelve packs, and some other solid choices that are slipping my mind, but damn am I going to miss picking up Two-Hearted in such a convenient location.

30. Shaw

Shaw Meyvn (1,384) Aug 27, 2003 Florida

Bluecane likes this.
  31. MagicJeff

Just made off with a Publix pick six of Anchor Steam, Dogfish 60 minute, Dogfish Indian Brown Ale, that new Dogfish peach beer, Sweetwater IPA, and Bell's Oberon Ale. Don't know if they carry Lagunitas any more, and Stone IPA was available in Six Packs...Also saw Smuttynose and Two Hearted among others.

32. Bluecane

Shaw likes this.
  33. joshodonn

They quoted my post in there as well haha

34. Bluecane

Today's Sun Sentinel newspaper had a blurb about this at the top of Page 1D, which is the front of the "Money" section. It says South Florida Publixes will be carrying Cigar City, Stone, Lagunitas, Chimay, and others.

Shaw likes this.
  35. Bluecane

Great Divide was also specifically mentioned.

It's a great day when a Southeastern grocery announces a fairly significant craft section. That seems like an absolutely terrific sign. Let's just hope it doesn't put the smaller shops, which have better overall selections, out of business.

Shaw likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.