Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Pumking Vol of co2?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by fineout, Sep 7, 2013.

1. fineout

I contacted southern tier and they havent gotten back to me, anyone know what the proper vol's of co2 for pumking would be? I have it set at 10psi and around 38* so it is at 2.4ish now.

2. mikehartigan

When in doubt, I do 2.5-ish (10-11psi at 38F). That's in the right ballpark for most mainstream American styles. You can always fix it if and when they get back to you.

3. billandsuz

good luck getting this information. we go through a few ST kegs every year at our Spring Festival and despite emails and phone calls - nothing. it is frustrating. a lot of breweries go to great lengths to be sure their beer is being properly served. I love ST, they are local, but damn they just don't give a shit about their customers... sure they feel different if asked. we have close to $700 into them in kegs not to mention God knows what in bottles, and your pumking ain't a small buy either....
    ok rant over.

2.4 seems like a pretty good target for this big beer. let it sit for a while and see if you like it. it might be Thanksgiving before you get a straight answer from the source.

you may consider going directly to the distributor. let them know you haven't gotten any response from the brewery. the distributor/brewery relationship is sometimes imperfect, but your request is perfectly valid.
    Cheers.

4. inchrisin

5. fineout

Got an answer from southern tier, they said 12psi..ugh, not exactly what i was asking for, but ill take it.

6. billandsuz

that doesn't answer your question.
    unless you described your setup, there is no way for them to know what pressure to set your regulator.
    even if you did, I am suspicious the person you were speaking with tells everyone to set the regulator to 12 psi. but they accomplished their goal, to make you go away.

amazing.

7. paulys55

Beer Trader

Agreed. Out of curiosity, OP, did you describe your setup? Just curious as to how much of a generic answer they gave you...

8. fineout

nope, they gave me a garbage generic answer, i 100% realize they didnt answer my question, The original question was on their facebook page so I imagine that maybe it was just some rando answering it. I sent them an email hoping for a better answer but not holding my breath. It does seem to be working fairly well at 2.3-2.4 that I've had it at so no complaints here!

9. VikeMan

Beer Trader

The only 'setup description' needed to determine the PSIs required to reach whatever CO2 volumes is appropriate for the beer is the temperature.

10. billandsuz

"12 psi" is a setting on the regulator. v/v is what they need to provide. if the quetion was "what do i set my regulator at to serve Pumking?" then the answer would be "can't say for sure, you want 2.5 vols. maybe 12 psi on a direct draw will get you close to that".

for example,
    i am installing 50 lines, 5/8" barrier II, gycol loops, 9 foot vertical lift, 35' to 45' each. if i want the bar to properly serve ST Pumking, "12 psi" tells me absolutely nothing. in fact i'm not sure 12 psi would get the proper vols on a direct draw system because i don't know what the vols should be. they haven't said!
    Cheers

11. VikeMan

Beer Trader

My point was that if you know the desired CO2 volumes, the only piece of additional information you need is the temperature. From those two pieces of information, you can determine the PSI setting needed to produce those volumes.

Line balancing is important, but line type/material/length/diamter have nothing to do with determing the actual volumes of CO2.

12. billandsuz

all true. which is why it is frustrating when a brewery tells me what to set the regulator at and not what vols the beer is packaged with. it is not possible to determine the vols of a beer from the answer "12 psi". not unless you already know everything else about the system and reverse calculate. the brewery of course does not my system, so the answer is just stupid.

(and does this wizard at the brewery also know the temp the beer is served at? I just want to know the vols... that's all i'm asking... and they won't give it to me! :()

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe