Pumpkin beer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlienSwineFlu, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papat444

papat444 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2006 Canada (QC)

Brewery only? Was at Winooski Bevy but didn`t see it.

2. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,261) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

No - I picked one up in NJ last year.

3. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,261) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I'm thinking this thread should be titled "Pumpkin Beers that use FRESH Pumpkin" instead of the current name of REAL Pumpkin - canned pumpkin (not to be confused with pumpkin pie filling) and frozen pumpkin are real pumpkin not an natural/artificial flavoring.

4. EBeckett3

EBeckett3 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 New Jersey

Sorry you want to bring the law into it. The Tired Hands Brewing Co.'s Happy Hands Berliner Weisse made with the same tasted pretty damn good! One man gathers what another man spills.

victory4me and SpasmWaiter like this.
  5. BeerWizard

BeerWizard Disciple (335) Dec 22, 2012 Colorado

Elysian, and despite what a lot of people are saying, you can taste the pumpkin. I agree that you can't in a lot of pumpkin ales, but in Elysian's Night Owl and Great Pumpkin you can for sure. Look for a slightly bitter funky favor. That is the gourd, my friend!

Ricelikesbeer, Ranbot and Cubatobaco like this.
  6. SpasmWaiter

SpasmWaiter Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2013 Vermont

The AGED Pumpkin, yes, brewery only.

7. jdmandel

jdmandel Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 California

You probably can't find it in your area but Hangar 24 in CA makes a really good one called Gourdgeous (pumpkin porter).

Atreyufan31 likes this.
  8. AndyAvalanche

AndyAvalanche Meyvn (1,010) Jun 16, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

A couple people already mentioned Cape Ann Imperial Pumpkin, very good and it actually ages well (at least the one I did a little over a year). Rock Art Pumpkin Spruce Stout is Amazing in my opinion, but it's not your typical pumpkin beer. More of an imperial stout with a pumpkin mouthfeel, not flavor.

9. BeerWizard

Pumpkick uses pumpkin juice, not the whole fruit. I actually do think it's a good beer (and have drank probably a case of it in the past couple months), but it seems like a cop out to use pumpkin juice for flavoring when other breweries are trying to tackle the whole fruit.

Upslope uses fresh pumpkins from a local farm, from this season, for their pumpkin ale. Waiting for payday to pick that one up though - $15 for a four pack of tall cans.

10. AndyAvalanche

AndyAvalanche Meyvn (1,010) Jun 16, 2008 Massachusetts
    Trader

Nah, can get it in MA so it must distribute at least a little bit.

11. djsmith1174

djsmith1174 Initiate (0) Aug 21, 2005 Minnesota

I'm not sure I've had a pumpkin imperial stout. But I have had several good pumpkin imperial porters. I feel they are kind of interchangeable though. My favorite was Summit's Imperial Pumpkin Porter. Sadly, it was a one time release...unless...Summit, are you listening?

12. cyde

cyde Initiate (0) Feb 12, 2012 Texas

Harpoon Imperial Pumpkin and Pumpkinator are excellent pumpkin stouts. Pumpkinator is better out of the two, but the Harpoon is much more attainable.

13. redbeerdviking

redbeerdviking Initiate (102) Oct 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

And I assure you that you can't pick out every single individual taste in every beer. Just because you can't point it out precisely, doesn't mean it doesn't add to the flavor.

Schwantz and BeerAssassin like this.
  14. ESHBG

ESHBG Devotee (431) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

I had Star Hill's Boxcar Pumpkin Porter last night and it was just okay and not something I'd seek out again (keep in mind I love pumpkin beers and porters).

15. obrike

obrike Defender (655) Jun 19, 2009 Texas

and it's spectacular!

16. Providence

Providence Champion (815) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

I am sure it was tasty. Heirloom tomatoes are amazing. I would just rather have the tomatoes raw and then have a Berliner Weisse of another fruit variety.

17. mquartuccio87

mquartuccio87 Initiate (0) Jun 10, 2013 New York

Pumpking was my favorite till i had good gourd that stuffs great

18. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 California

how does elysian use fresh real pumpkin? their pumpkin beers are already out...

redbeerdviking likes this.
  19. TheJollyHop

TheJollyHop Initiate (0) Sep 2, 2009 California

Curiouser and curiouser...

20. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Devotee (441) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

These pumpkin ales are all over Seattle and I drink many of them over the fall. There is NO pumpkin flavor in either of these beers. I don't care what people say, pumpkin imparts no flavor in beer --- it's the spices, my friend.

victory4me likes this.
  21. pinkgrenade

pinkgrenade Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2011 California

pumpkin is great to use in the mash for fermentable sugar especially because it doesn't impart strong flavors

22. victory4me

victory4me Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2004 Pennsylvania

Local brewpub (Tired Hands) made an heirloom tomato Berliner Weiss that was really enjoyable.

EBeckett3 likes this.
  23. burgerpaw

burgerpaw Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2013 North Carolina

We had FBS and Dogfish Punkin on tap at the same time last year; a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of those tasted like an oatmeal cookie.. amazing.

24. TNGabe

TNGabe Initiate (0) Feb 6, 2012 Tennessee

What do you mean by real pumpkin? Are you referring to the fact the canned pumpkin isn't pumpkin? Considering the PITA factor, I can't see many breweries messing with using fresh pumpkins. Timing is another problem. Pumpkins are harvested when consumers want pumpkin beers, not weeks or months before when the beer would need to brewed.

25. BeerWizard

Haha, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree then. Pumpkin has a flavor though, and I think it imparts that flavor to a beer just like brewing with anything else. Try the Tommyknocker - not great but very light on spice and still tastes like a pumpkin ale.

I will admit though I've never had one with NO spices added. Has anyone?

26. Providence

Providence Champion (815) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Someone else had mentioned that and indeed it sounds interesting. Nevertheless, as I mentioned above, heirloom tomatoes are amazing. I would just rather have the tomatoes raw and then have a Berliner Weisse of another fruit variety.

27. EBeckett3

EBeckett3 Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2013 New Jersey

De gustibus non est disputandum. The tomatoes are amazing - farm markets here selling more than ever this summer. Enjoy the Weisse whatever the ingredients. Slainte!

28. Jacob007

Jacob007 Aspirant (231) Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire

Ever roast pumpkin. It has tons of flavor with natural sugers.

solo103 likes this.
  29. CMUbrew

CMUbrew Initiate (0) Jan 27, 2012 Michigan

30. Soracloud

Soracloud Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2006 New Jersey

So sad I can't get Saint Annes Pumpkin Stout this year. Finally showed up in my area last year and hasn't come back

31. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Devotee (441) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

But brewers aren't using roast pumpkin.

32. SeaAle

SeaAle Disciple (333) Jun 24, 2012 Oregon

Some do. Cascade's Pumpkin Smash that will be at Elysian's Pumpkin Fest is roasted pumpkin.

33. StlHopHead77

StlHopHead77 Initiate (0) May 30, 2010 Illinois

Came on to say this.Probably the most pleasant fall beer surprise for me this year but I have an Almanac Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine(I realize it's not a stout)in the fridge so that title will probably be usurped soon.

34. Jacob007

Jacob007 Aspirant (231) Sep 18, 2012 New Hampshire

They should use it.

35. JISurfer

JISurfer Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2002 South Carolina

Just had Lakefront Pumpkin. Not overly spiced, had a creamy/nutty/pumpkiny flavor.

36. mark14580

mark14580 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2011 New York

You against the use of hop pellets too?

37. mitch3114

mitch3114 Disciple (397) Feb 20, 2012 New York

STEAK BEER!!! YOU'RE A GENIUS!!!

38. themind

themind Initiate (0) Mar 14, 2011 New Jersey

Southern Tier uses real pumpkin pie for Pumking, they smash a slice into every bottle :confused:

39. 071184

071184 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Texas

Strange Brewery makes one of the best Pumpkin Porters I've ever had. The use a great combination of baker's pumpkins, vanilla, and spices- incredibly well balanced and smooth finish.

40. 071184

071184 Initiate (0) Sep 10, 2013 Texas

Upslope absolutely uses real pumpkins in their limited edition release. Had a chance to drink a few cans before they put it on the market last week. Overall I thought it was a very solid pumpkin ale. Slightly lighter in body than I expected but good nonetheless.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.