Pumpkin beer recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by AlienSwineFlu, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 57md

57md Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

ST Pumking is my #1

Runner-ups:
    Williamsburg
    Lancaster Baked
    Schlafly

2. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

It's definitely worth trying IMO.. it's more on the unique side..

3. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

Southern Tier Imperial Pumking
    Dogfish Head Punkin Ale
    Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale
    Wolaver's Organic Pumpkin Ale

4. Coorsy

Coorsy Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

After reading this thread i had to grab a bottle of ST Pumking. Havent had it yet as it needed to be refridgerated but i am really looking forward to drinking this beer tomorrow and possibly picking up some more of these pumpkin beers mentioned.

-xICooRsYIx

5. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

In my opinion, it taste like Pumpkin Pie. It's genius. And it's not too sweet at all.

Coorsy likes this.
  6. Coorsy

Coorsy Jul 11, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

That sounds BOMB!! So far my only pumpkin beer is the Shipyard Pumpkinhead. I remember when me and my friends discovered that we thought it was gold. Finally looking forward to tasting a true pumpkin brew that blows this out of the water.

-xICooRsYIx

7. HoptasticBeergasm

HoptasticBeergasm Feb 28, 2013 Vermont

You are more generous than I - never trying that again.

Love me some UFO pumpkin, though! Light enough that you can actually taste pumpkin rather than sweetened pumpkin pie spice.

Ilovelampandbeer likes this.
  8. Dil_thebeerdrinking_do

Dil_thebeerdrinking_do Jan 21, 2014 Georgia

Does Oaked Jack age well because I am fairly posititve last years batch is still on the shelfs at my local store.

9. mikecharley

mikecharley Nov 6, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Heirloom pumpkin by almanac

10. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts

ST Pumking
    Cape Ann Pumpkin Stout
    Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin

I usually have a pretty strict Post-Labor-Day-for-Pumpkin-Beer policy but this thread has me jones'n for this stuff already.

11. scottlerok

scottlerok Oct 2, 2011 Michigan

Griffin Claw Brewing Company bought the rights to Screamin' Pumpkin from the closed Michigan Brewing Company. They also have Dan Rogers as Masterbrewer who also was the brewer at Michigan Brewing during the Screamin' Pumpkin days. They have new Glow-In-The-Dark 16oz cans and are releasing a Bourbon Imperial Pumpkin in September. Screamin' Pumpkin aged in Bourbon Barrels and bottled in 22oz bombers. Super limited 1200 bottles made.[​IMG]

12. todesengel135

todesengel135 May 30, 2014 Michigan

new holland breweries ichabod

13. scottlerok

scottlerok Oct 2, 2011 Michigan

14. spitshaded

spitshaded Nov 12, 2012 Virginia

Alewerks Pumpkin
    Schlafly Pumpkin
    ST Warlock
    Maple Mistress

15. FoamInnovation

FoamInnovation Nov 12, 2013 Washington

5 Stones Sleepy Hollow. I know it isn't available everywhere, but it is certainly my favorite. The pumpkin is smoked, but not dominant. It plays in the orchestra instead of smashing you in the face with pumpkin pie filling and booze. This is incredibly harmonious.

darthvohn likes this.
  16. rojapa

rojapa Jun 26, 2013 New York

I don't think I've seen anyone mention 21st Amendment/Elysian's He Said. I'm not a big pumpkin flavored anything guy, but I thought both of those were pretty damn good. I had it for the first time last year, not sure if it was a one off or if it's a yearly release.

17. steve8robin

steve8robin Nov 7, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

For my top 3:

ST Pumking
    CCB Good Gourd
    Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin

Fall is a great time for beer!

18. grimey68

grimey68 Mar 16, 2013 Pennsylvania

I want to try Good Gourd in the worst way. Anyone wanting to trade, let me know.

But to answer the question, for now, Pumking wins by a mile.

19. BB1313

BB1313 Jul 16, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I personally didn't like the Pumpkin Tripel, but I thought the Pumpkin Baltic Porter was real good..

20. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Feb 20, 2013 Florida

CCB Good Gourde
    Crown Valley Imperial Pumpkin Smash

Not a third worthy yet but hoping (and expecting) it's St Arnold Pumpkinator when I get my hands on it in a couple months

Worst by far I've tried: Shipyard Pumpkinhead, and it's not close.

21. Duhast500

Duhast500 Nov 14, 2007 Rhode Island

DFH Punk'n is really good and is my go to Pumpkin beer. I have yet to have a PumKing but I think this is the year.

22. LeRose

LeRose Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Not a huge fan of pumpkin brews, but reading thru the threads and seeing that pumpkin beers are already on shelf raises a question in my mind. What are they using for pumpkin? Canned puree? Haven't seen a ripe pumpkin anywhere yet around my area.

For the record, DFH Punkin is tolerable. I do like Jack's Abby Pumpkin Crop - real pumpkins actually are harmed when making that beer and it shows up fresh.

WesMantooth likes this.
  23. TommyTheHat

TommyTheHat Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Deactivated

I was at Weyerbacher last week and sampled this. I thought it tasted like I was drinking perfume or out of a bottle of cologne. Then again, I am not a fan of Pumpkin Ales in general. I don't like spicy beer. For me, spice is for food, not my beer. I've really tried to like Pumpkin Ales and always think it would be another yearly/seasonal thing to look forward to but it just doesn't seem to happen for me.

24. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin

Love Point Whole Hog. #1 for sure.

Hoping to try DFH this year since they are in WI again. Would love to try Schafly and Good Gourd too.

25. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Feb 20, 2009 Washington
    Society

Every few years I like to do a tasting for the unintiated with the Elysian pumpkin beers. I always start with Night Owl, which is very good and for anyone who likes pumpkin beers (not everyone likes the style), it gets very positive feedback. Then I open a Great Pumpkin and it blows people away. Those who liked the Night Owl have found a new love. Finish with Dark O' the Moon for a dessert stout. Although I really like Pumking and Warlock, I think Elysian is the master of the big gourd.

Tooth_Jackson likes this.
  26. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Most of the larger brewers (Southern Tier, Weyerbacher, etc...) who have very popular pumpkin beers, HAVE to use canned pumpkin puree.....there is no way they could use FRESH pumpkin for the volume of beers they produce, and most have no way of processing live pumpkins anyway.....lot of hand work and roasting etc....plus, if they waited to brew pumpkin beers until after the pumpkins were ripe in the fields, you would not see them in the beer market until very late in the season.....this gets discussed ad nauseum every year and thought was pretty common knowledge by now.

27. rspauldi

rspauldi Apr 21, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Saint Arnold Pumkinator. Sooo good. It even ages well. I stock up on it and then enjoy a bottle every so often throughout the year.

[​IMG]

Kappakoosh, beeragent and darthvohn like this.
  28. zachpaschal

zachpaschal Apr 5, 2014 Indiana

As a fan of pumpkin pie I really liked the Schlafly Pumpkin Ale I had last night. I believe I scored it a 4.5. The only "complaint" I had was the cinnamon was a bit strong so there was a bit of a lingering bite at times.

29. cck5

cck5 May 11, 2014 New York

UFO pumpkin

30. aubzachsyd

aubzachsyd Oct 7, 2013 Iowa

Potosi Stingier Jack - aged in Templeton Rye barrels

Lakefront 25th Anniversary Pumpkin Lager aged in brandy barrels with vanilla beans.

New Glarus' new pumpkin beer out in October. Yeah, I know it's not out yet. But I'm willing to bet that's it's gonna be fantastic.

31. BRami127

BRami127 Mar 28, 2014 Illinois

32. djben

djben Sep 4, 2013 Florida

Good Gourd. Still have a few bottles from last year.

Have a bottle of Good Gourd Almighty, but I preferred the regular Good Gourd over it.

also Warlock and Hoppin Frog Barrel Aged Frog’s Hollow Double Pumpkin

33. DNICE555

DNICE555 Aug 13, 2008 Connecticut

Top 3 in order:

1. Selin's Groove Pumpkin Ale (By far)
    2. Warlock
    3. Good Gourd

34. BH712

BH712 Jan 29, 2014 District of Columbia

Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin
    Elysian Night Owl
    Saucony Creek Maple Mistress

35. CreightonSM

CreightonSM Dec 23, 2010 New York

Top 5 Goto Pumpkin Brews for me...

-Elysian Night Owl
    -Williamsburg Alewerks Pumpkin Ale
    -Schlafly Pumpkin Ale
    -Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin
    -Dogfish Punkn

I actually really enjoyed Old Forge's last year and Uinta's Oak Jacked Imperial Pumpkin those were my top 2.

36. st9647v3

st9647v3 Dec 28, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

I plan on drinking 1 unique pumpkin beer each day of October (could bleed into November if I amass enough options)

I will be starting a thread once this endevour is undertaken and I urge all fellow pumpkin beer lovers to join in.

For the record:
    Weyerbacher
    Schalfly
    Stevens Point

Cheers!

RobDB likes this.
  37. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Apr 3, 2013 Florida

THIS!

...and the combo with Thanksgiving Dinner.

[​IMG]

tmbgnicu likes this.
  38. sierratwohearted

sierratwohearted Oct 23, 2011 Virginia
    Deactivated

Buffalo Bill's! ...noone? really?

beeragent likes this.
  39. Giantspace

Giantspace Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

None

Enjoy

davetharave likes this.
  40. timnyc

timnyc Dec 28, 2013 New York

Smuttynose. Love the spice character of it. It's the taste of autumn. Haven't had another pumpkin beer I like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.