Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Pumpkin beers jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by WassailWilly, Dec 24, 2012.

1. WassailWilly

I really laid off the pumpkin aspect this year.... To many posers out there for me.. Anyone else feel this way ?

2. gtermi

I just sticked to the ones I know and the higher rated ones on here

baconman91 likes this.
  3. litheum94

I think the term "Jumped the Shark" has jumped the shark.

MCorrea, gkatsoris, Ford and 17 others like this.
  4. WassailWilly

Jumped the pumpkin then ?

5. LOCAL

It jumped the shark the second any pumpkin was added to any beer IMO.

6. hopsputin

I bought some from ST and DFH this year. I'm a sucker for seasonal things (not just beer). Oh well

7. haddon

pumpkin sucks.

gkatsoris, ant880, acelin and 2 others like this.
  8. Marti403

Beer Trader

Since Screamin Pumpkin was gone, pumpkin beers just weren't the same this year.

9. Circleo12

Beer Trader

Nah, I still buying pumpkin beers, best time to buy them is right now, when they are being cleared out. $24 for a case? Sign me up.

10. BB1313

Pumpkin Ales used to be my one of my favorite styles. I used to be obsessed with them. I still love em, but the style seems to lose its magic for me each year. I agree there's too many middle of the road pumpkin ales and not enough unique standout examples, like ST Pumking for example. I really need to try some Schlafly's and CC Good Gourd..

dumptruck81 and WassailWilly like this.
  11. rocdoc1

Pumpkin+Beer=nastiness. WTF do people enjoy in beer that tastes like one aspect or another of pumpkin pie? I have 4 or 5 in my beer room that people have given me, and I can't find anybody who'll take them off my hands(no shipping, if you want them come get them)

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  12. WassailWilly

Weyerbacher Imp Pumpkin and ST Pumpking are solid winners IMHO

huysmans and supermodified like this.
  13. spitshaded

I love Fall because I love pumpkin-flavored anything & always loved the idea of pumpkin beers, but very few ever lived up to what I would hope a pumpkin beer to be. The only ones I've had that met my expectations were Southern Tier, Schlafly, & Williamsburg Alewerks. Everything else just felt like an ok beer with pumpkin pie spices thrown in. I would like to try some of the Elysian pumpkin beers though.

14. n2185

Beer Trader

Pumpkin ales are an interesting style. Or rather, people's reactions to pumpkin ales are interesting. No other style outside of adjunct lagers seems to inspire so much hostility. Most styles if people don't like them, they just avoid them. A lot of people here act like pumpkin ales are an abomination to beerdom and shouldn't even be brewed.

Personally, I love pumpkin ales, but they're a fairly hit-or-miss style. There are some really great pumpkin ales out there, but there are even more really crappy ones that just taste like fermented nutmeg and allspice juice.

Duff27 likes this.
  15. Knapp85

Beer Trader

I highly recommend the CC Good Gourd.

16. jjchristiano

Get the Southern Tier Pumking. I think it is the standard the others are judged by.

17. strangebrew321

Beer Trader

I didn't drink nearly as much pumpkin beer this year as l did last year. But it had nothing to do with any "posers", I simply wasn't in the mood for them. The more beer l drink, the more l realize l only really get excited about IPA's, stouts, barleywines, some sours, and anything barrel aged.
    Oh yeah, and dark strong Belgians still kick ass.

WassailWilly likes this.
  18. TNGabe

I don't think I'm being judgemental when I say "Pumpkin beers suck and if you generally like them, you have bad taste.'

As an aside, when did 'jumped the shark' jump the shark? Maybe porked the pumpkin can be the new BA idiom.

19. supermodified

I don't think pumpkin beers, Pumking in particular, age very well. I bought three Pumkings when I first saw them early in September. I tried one immediately and was blown away by the pumpkin pie smell/taste. I opened the next one on Halloween and the smell/taste had diminished significantly. I had the last one a few days after that and it, too, had faded to a shadow of its former glory. While the Pumking hate veers off into irrationality to some extent, this might be a legitimate complaint to explain some of the anger.

Of course I had some Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale that had likely been on the grocery shelf for weeks and that tasted as good as the fresh ones I bought, so I could be wrong (or Pumking might truly suck.)

This season I tried Pumking, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale, Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale, Sixpoint Autumnation, and DFH Punkin Ale. The fresh Pumking blew away the Weyerbacher for the "pumpkin pie" type pumpkin beer, but the Weyerbacher was better than the old Pumkings. The Smuttynose was better than the DFH for the straight-up pumpkin type beer (and was a consistently solid pumpkin beer.)

Autumnation doesn't even taste like pumpkin. I didn't pay attention when I bought it and I drank two without realizing they were pumpkin beers.

20. AndrewBV

I'll echo the positive sentiment for Smuttynose's Pumpkin Ale.

21. supermodified

I forgot that I had tried the collaboration between Epic Brewing and DC Brau, Fermentation Without Representation, a pumpkin porter. This was outstanding! I went back and bought another bomber the next day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. TheSixthRing

Had the Chatoe Rogue Pumpkin Patch ale that I thought was pretty awesome. As a beer it was good, as a pumpkin ale, it's the best I've had of the style.

checktherhyme and MusicaleMike like this.
  23. superspak

Beer Trader

Problems with pumpkin beer? Nope, Personally I have no problems with fruit/veg/spiced style beers when done right. I had the Elysian Night owl this year, and it was absolutely incredible. One of the most balanced spiced beers I have ever had. I am looking forward to getting my hands on some more Elysian pumpkin ales next year when I can.

I really havent had too many Pumpkin beers this year though; I was more focused on O-fests this season. Looking forward to the couple I have left like the Rogue first growth Pumpkin.

24. Blueribbon666

Never been a fan of pumpkin beers or Christmas beers, mainly because of the spices. I may try them but I prefer the styles that the fall & winter seasons bring. With all the hype they bring it keeps the other seasonal offerings flying just under the radar. Make it hearty, lose the spices or at least those spices.

25. Reagan1984

Beer Trader

These are the exact two that I purchase every year. In fact, Pumking is my beer for Patriots games. Bought a case at the beginning of the season... I don't think Pumpkin beers have "jumped the shark" in any fashion. I comsume what I believe are the best representations for about three months, and then they are gone until next year.

The great news is that we each get to choose what we drink.

26. Jfriz25

Beer Trader

I got an AleWerks Pumpkin as an extra and it turned out to be my favorite of the season. Better than Schlafly. I agree that as a whole there are more duds than standouts.

27. kzoobrew

There are some really good Pumpkin beers, there are some really bad pumpkin beers.
    There are some really good IPAs, there are some really bad IPAs.
    There are some really good beers, there are some really bad beers.

Fuck, I think beer has jumped the shark.

spoony and tabascosigned like this.
  28. FEUO

I'd agree that there are far too many middle of the road (or shittier) pumpkin ales out there.
    I'm a big fan of pumpkin in general so beer with pumpkin is always appealing. Pumking is my favorite in the style and I don't see myself wasting any money on others next fall.

29. MusicaleMike

I'll second theSixthRing. Rogue Chatoe Pumpkin Patch was #1 this year. Turns out using fresh ingredients actually does make a difference.

30. waddsworth

I had my first pumpkin ale about 15 years ago and hated it. So a few years later, when I started getting into crafts I steered clear of the pumpkin ales every fall. In fact, I hated going to the distributor every autumn to see the "march of the pumpkins," which only got bigger year after year. Eventually (last year) my curiosity got the best of me and I decided to revisit the style and was pleasantly surprised. ST, Weyerbacher, DFH, Smutty - all were quite enjoyable. Of course, with any style you have your standout suckass brews. This year I found that to be Long Trail Imperial Pumpkin. Just awful. I can't believe they let it leave the brewery with the expectation that people would turn over their hard earned dollars in exchange for it.

31. Derranged

I only had 3 pumpkin ales this year, Saranac, DFH and Southern Tier. Saranac was awfully bland and I did not like DFH at all. I'm not sure what was going on with that one.

Southern Tier was really good, third year in a row I've had it.

32. beernut

I think I agree with you. I loved pumpkin beers, but for some reason this year I just couldn't stomach them, they tasted fine, it was my stomach, I always felt like puking after one. This could be the end, it was great while it lasted.

33. Docrock

Beer Trader

I think the obvious term would be " Chunked the Pumpkin".

Have not had one I cared for yet, DFH sold out here as soon as it was on the shelves, probably should have purchased Southern Tier based on what I read above.

TNGabe likes this.
  34. fujindemon74

I love me some Rumpkin.

TATURBO likes this.
  35. leedorham

I am not too big on pumpkin beers and rarely buy them in bottles. However, I'm a huge fan of the pumpkin festival idea. Elysian has a really neat thing going serving beer out of giant gourds and they even brought a sort of mini-festival to my town last year.

Even if it is a gimmick, I think it's a really fun gimmick and hope the tradition grows and spreads.

36. BeerNDoggerel

Subscriber

My question is, did pumpkin beers jump the gun this year?

Seems like they were released earlier this year than ever before. For some reason, I think of pumpkin anything between Halloween and Thanksgiving, but when I inquired (around the first week in November) about good pumpkin ales at my local (very good) beer shop, I as told they had come and gone many weeks earlier.

Can anyone explain this to me? Does it have to do with harvest schedule and freshness?

Docrock likes this.
  37. dmeadows

Beers don't jump anything. It's the Breweries and brewers who do the jumping.

38. ECalebrews449

Beer Trader

I do think the Pumpkin beers came out a little early this year, but that's what happens with seasonal beers. I really liked the Dogfish Head Punkin Ale, Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale, and Buffalo Bills Pumpkin Ale.

39. luisc123

Uinta Oak Jacked Pumpkin made me a believer again. And I'm still dying to try Rumpkin

40. brys82

Not all pumpkin beers are created equal. Some of the best - Pumpking, Cottonwood, Weyerbacher and Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin. Not that impressed with others....

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe