Pumpkin beers of 2017

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, Jul 23, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (4,063) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

Considering your taste in football teams I have to question your tastes elsewhere ... :stuck_out_tongue:

ChiCubs78 likes this.
  2. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,585) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Absolutely right, enjoy away. I still find it odd people like beers that taste like vinegar, but to each his own. Btw I don't like Pumpkin beers, what Pumpkin, it's all spices.

3. Klister

Klister Aspirant (231) Oct 27, 2010 Maine

You and I are in the same camp.

4. BrewUrbanist

BrewUrbanist Initiate (0) May 11, 2012 Wisconsin

Lakefront's Brandy BA Pumpkin is the only one I make a point to seek out.

tobelerone likes this.
  5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,784) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

10 barrel and Epic both have/had one.

I look foward to bristol venitucci pumpkin ale every year. The Venitucci pumpkin patch donates pumpkins to local school kids every year for Halloween. The kids get bussed in and get to pick their pumpkins right off the vines. I remember they had hogs on the farm and you could feed them the rotten pumpkins from the fields.
    I also look forward to Avery Pump[KY]n.

Franziskaner likes this.
  6. Dwood1466

Dwood1466 Initiate (87) Feb 3, 2017 Texas
    Trader

St. Arnold Pumpkinator is really the only one I look forward to each year, always readily available and never disappoints!

If you're lucky, you can stumble upon the barrel aged version... which is mind blowingly good..

JDice20 likes this.
  7. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (285) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I like the ones w/o any pumpkin :wink:. I keed, I keed.

I really can't stomach most over the top versions, like Pumking. Smuttynose is pretty darn subtle, and tasty. The only one I've liked that had a big flavor profile is Schafly's. It's fairly high volume, but I don't find the spices quite as harsh/raw as some others. Closest I've tasted to a good pumpkin pie.

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  8. Txex06

Txex06 Aspirant (238) Dec 28, 2016 Texas
    Trader

A local bottle shop has some Pumking and Warlock leftover from last year. Any thoughts of how they might taste with a year of age on them?

VABA and Genuine like this.
  9. OKbrew89

OKbrew89 Crusader (787) May 13, 2013 Oklahoma
    Trader

I'll get one bottle of Avery Rumpkin if I see it.

10. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (11,304) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Many of the ones I've tried could not be identified as pumpkin without reading the label - no pumpkin/squash or pumpkin spice taste at all. I only live 3 miles outside the Schlafly distribution area but still have not managed to land any - mostly due to timing - but am determined this year.

11. A_Rad

A_Rad Aspirant (290) May 8, 2015 Wisconsin
    Trader

I have a case of Pumking and Warlock in my basement from last year (they were on sale for $2.99/bomber) that I am super pumped to crack open. Trying to wait until September...

Also I always like DFH. Haven't seen the label for this year's yet.

Also what is the point of posting "I hate pumpkin beers" in this thread? Why are you in this thread?

12. BergBeer

BergBeer Crusader (765) Aug 21, 2013 Virginia

EL Gourdo was legitimately a beautiful beer. I hope Firestone makes it again.

As for beer that I know are coming, Punkin by Dogfish Head is the only one I buy.

13. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Might be something of a controversial choice, but Stevens Point's Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale is hands down the best. Just outstanding.

I know folks hate on Pumking, but I've found it actually ages pretty well. Just cracked my last bomber from two years ago and it was smooth, toned down, and pretty damn tasty.

14. TNHCS

TNHCS Initiate (53) Feb 27, 2013 Ohio

Yeah, I know, I know!! I can't change where I was born and how I was raised.

FBarber likes this.
  15. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,967) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I don't recognize the mascot... what college is that?

FBarber likes this.
  16. JDice20

JDice20 Aspirant (201) Aug 14, 2013 Louisiana
    Trader

The bishops barrel that had pumpkinator aged on rum was outstanding...

Dwood1466 likes this.
  17. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,010) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I'm usually good for a ST Pumking, a DFH Punkin, and a Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin - I've gotten at least one of each every year now, so why not? But then again, my taste for them has diminished considerably over the years, so this year could be the first year I take a pass...

I still look forward to some barrel-aged, high abv pumpkin ales - Avery releases a couple I dig, and I liked Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin and a few others over the years, so I'm still game for that kinda action...

My all-time fave was Heirloom Pumpkin Barleywine from Almanac, but that was a one-and-done...

18. gardenstatepkwy

gardenstatepkwy Initiate (137) Jun 1, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

Why do you say Whole Hog is a controversial choice? That beer is awesome. I'm a huge pumpkin fan and thats certainly in my top 5.

JMN44, CanConPhilly, jkane101 and 2 others like this.
  19. Daveshek28

Daveshek28 Initiate (190) Nov 10, 2015 New York

Southern Tier says those beers are fine for aging on their website. I have a rum barrel pumpking and warlock from last year still, i'll crack them in September some time and see how they've held up.

20. JohnnyK

JohnnyK Disciple (305) May 24, 2006 North Carolina

One i didn't see here is the Alewerks Pumpkin Ale. I take a trip outta state each year to grab this and Schafly Pumpkin.

21. FFFjunkie

FFFjunkie Zealot (529) Aug 26, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

I would also like to know why Whole Hog is a controversial choice....just out of sheer curiosity...

@nick0417

Upon edit: I've never had it so I'm really just wondering.

22. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (4,334) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I always look forward to Schlafly. And locally, I really enjoy Carton's Pumpkin Ale.

VABA and FBarber like this.
  23. nick0417

nick0417 Initiate (0) Jun 13, 2014 Illinois

Well, just because I anticipated a little shade for suggesting a Point beer...

gardenstatepkwy and FFFjunkie like this.
  24. Jag237

Jag237 Initiate (102) Aug 23, 2014 Virginia
    Trader

I don't go as crazy on the pumpkin beers as I used to but I always drink at least one Schlafly and Alewerks pumpkin every year, I usually end up buying a Heavy Seas Greater Pumpkin as well

25. Invinciblejets

Invinciblejets Devotee (483) Sep 29, 2014 South Carolina
    Trader

Pumpkin cinnamon stout. That would be a hit....

gardenstatepkwy and FFFjunkie like this.
  26. JasonJYoung

JasonJYoung Initiate (106) Jan 7, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Yea, Schlafly and Dogfish indeed. I just wish Avery would let off the gas a little (heat).

Anyhow, pumpkin beers were showing up in Seattle last week (end of July). Absolutely ridiculous! Saw 10 Barrel Rum Pumpkin bombers at store also. Hell, there are some Octoberfest already in circulation here.

27. bbtkd

Society Trader

Rum BA Pumpkin Cinnamon Stout...

28. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (458) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I usually have one or two more trips to the beach to appreciate the heat and have some killer seafood before I'm ready to get excited for this year's fall offerings. I'm such a sucker for anything seasonal - I loved when Anchor came out with their Big Leaf Maple and always look forward to ST Pumking, Warlock, Smuttynose Pumpkin, Cisco's Pumple Drumkin, Weyebacher's Imperial, etc. I always looking for new beers of the style and I always homebrew 5 gallons of pumpkin ale each year. I also finally got my hands on ST's Pumking tap handle that'll look great on my kegerator for the season. I still haven't had much from Hopping frog so maybe I 'll look for more of those. I also really enjoyed SN's flipside and any beer that is fall related. Ok, so maybe I'm getting a bit excited.

29. CommanderKeen

CommanderKeen Initiate (41) May 16, 2017 Texas

There's a bar that used to keep kegs of Pumpkinator on hand from previous years so patrons could compare and contrast the different "vintages". I love Pumpkinator, but am not really into pumpkin beers. Kinda weird that way.

Dwood1466 likes this.
  30. prost2hefeweizen

prost2hefeweizen Initiate (0) Aug 6, 2015 Oklahoma

I always look forward to schlafly's pumpkin ale

bbtkd likes this.
  31. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,365) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I see value in the nostalgic aura that pumpkin beers provide, but I don't think I've had much luck with them. Usually I find more duds than greatness. Even the nostalgia has worn off a bit with the release getting so much earlier than in the past. But even with all my naysaying, a college football Saturday with a hint of crispness in the air seems more well rounded with a pumpkin beer - even if I have to wait until November to enjoy crisp air. There have been two well rated ones I've somehow missed (Schafly and Alewerks) so maybe I can grab those this year

32. SpdKilz

SpdKilz Poo-Bah (1,690) Jan 8, 2009 Illinois
    Society Trader

Whole Hog Pumpkin
    Lakefront Brandy Barrel Aged Imperial Pumpkin Ale
    Jolly Pumpkin La Parcela
    Schlafly Pumpkin Ale

Just saw Schlafly today but didn't get it...I'll hold out a bit longer until I pick up some pumpkin beers!

HoppingMadMonk likes this.
  33. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Zealot (566) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

Brothers just broke into the Hampton Roads area, and I'm contemplating getting Fairgrounds (pretty sure it dropped at exceptionALE, other places just got the flagships)... you ever try it?

34. NotAlcoholicJustAHobby

NotAlcoholicJustAHobby Meyvn (1,067) Jun 13, 2015 Vermont

I'm not a big fan of most pumpkin beers because they end up being cinnamon bombs. I don't care for cinnamon in any style of beer. My wife likes Pumpking alot. Personally There were only two pumpkin beers that I've enjoyed over the years. One was Smuttynose which was hoppier than the other pumpkin beers. The best by far was Wormtown's Fresh Patch which actually tasted like pumpkin without all the overwhelming spice. I'll pick up the Fresh Patch again if I get down that way in the near future.

35. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,365) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Not yet, but I'll add it to my radar

36. McFinniganOfTheFinnigans

McFinniganOfTheFinnigans Initiate (111) Apr 20, 2017 Maine

37. bbtkd

Society Trader

I'm going on an out of state beer run soon, hope to bag some Schlafly. Not sure how much to buy without having had it.

FFFjunkie likes this.
  38. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (509) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Got my hands on New Belgium's Atomic Pumpkin. I'm intrigued by this one. Reviews seem to be either you love it or hate it. Very cool idea.

DarkDragon999 likes this.
  39. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,094) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

I buy 2 4-packs of Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin every year. On those early cold days leading from Fall to Winter, shared in small glasses, it's delicious. Perfect nightcap. Session pumpkin ale likely will not become a thing, maybe.

40. BeanBump

BeanBump Zealot (573) Dec 14, 2016 California

Cascade maybe? If so, its not bad. Good mix of squash flavor with some subtle spice and appropriate sourness....well, last year's was anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.