Punta Cana beer choices?

Discussion in 'North America' started by kapkenobi, Feb 16, 2016.

1. kapkenobi

kapkenobi Initiate (192) Nov 27, 2011 Pennsylvania

I am heading to Punta Cana in just over one month for my honeymoon and was wondering what variety is available down there? Staying at the Excellence resort.

any help is appreciated. thanks

2. Seacoastbrewer

Seacoastbrewer Initiate (129) Jun 5, 2012 New Hampshire

I stayed at the Hard Rock Resort in Punta Cana two years ago. Be prepared for lots of Presidente, Brahma, and AALs. If you get lucky you might find Sam Adams. I made sure to bring my own specialty beers so I could sip Heady on the beach.

3. Zdarby11

Zdarby11 Initiate (80) Oct 29, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

My wife and I were married at the Excellence last May and will be heading back there this May for our anniversary. Very limited beer choices, mainly presidente and presidente light. We brought down a few different beers to open at our wedding but not too many since we were limited on space. When we go back this year we will probably bring a few special bottles with but otherwise we will just enjoy what they have there and have lots of mixed drinks.

Couple of suggestions, bring limes with, they don't have limes, only lemons on the island. The bartenders will be excited to make you drinks with them. Don't declare them either or they will probably be confiscated. The other suggestion is to hit up the lobster house as much as possible, some great food there!

The Excellence is a great resort with great staff! Enjoy!

4. Ford

Ford Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2012 Texas

No problems flying it in there in your checked bags? That is my plan at this point as really good beer seems bleak there. I'll be in Puerto Plata.

5. Ford

Did you claim the beer you were bringing in your checked bags?

6. Seacoastbrewer

Nope. I've flown there, continental Europe, and domestically with no problems.

Ford likes this.
  7. Ford

Cool. I've flown domestically a bunch with beer and I've known plenty of people that came back with beer from Europe, and I was hoping it was the same for the DR.

8. Seacoastbrewer

As I recall the immigration getting into the DR was more lax than coming back into the US. Same thing with Germany. At times I've declared my bottles, other times I haven't. No difference either way.

9. Zdarby11

Trader

We put it on the form we filled out but said it was under 100 each. No one stopped us or had any questions for us. The are pretty lax as Seacoastbrewer said.

10. Ford

I just got back. I brought in about twenty cans of US craft between two checked bags. Other than my bags showing up a day late due to our first flight being late.. leading to missing our connection.... so we had to switch to a later flight...

Anyway, all beer showed up just the way I wrapped it up.

There is very little good beer there so if you want it, you need to bring it.

Presidente gets old after about two.

11. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,294) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

under 100 of what?

wow, 20 cans. From what I can tell searching the web it looks like they allow 1 liter. Is this not true or did you just take a chance with 20 cans? Did you declare it?

I am headed there in April and would like to bring as many cans as I can without worrying about customs.

12. Zdarby11

Trader

Under $100 total value.

jrnyc likes this.
  13. guinness77

guinness77 Champion (856) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Lol, we just booked the first week of April ourselves and was perusing this thread for information. I was really hoping there’d be something there and I wouldn’t have to fly stuff there but, I’ll take a few cans, I guess if I have to. Not even Guinness, huh?

VABA likes this.
  14. guinness77

Is it better to just take the cans in your check in bag without saying anything or better to let the airline know they’re in the bag? Even if I just bring 6 cans, we’re only going 4 nights so I can at least space them out.

15. jrnyc

Premium Trader

What dates are you going? Where are you staying? I am there first week of April too.

I am not going to tell the airline, I have flown domestically countless times with beer and a handful of times internationally and never told them. I have read conflicting things on Internet on how much beer can be brought in, I will probably bring 10 cans or so. Will declare it, they may or may not check when we go through customs. When I went to Turks and Caicos last year I brought 6 cans, it was over limit, I declared and was fully prepared to pay the duty. Customs took some time reading what I declared, was probably confused about how much I had and its value and let me through.

And it is awesome to be in a great place with our local beer to drink.

16. guinness77

What’s the worst that happens, they just dump the beer, right?

17. Macsimus

Macsimus Initiate (176) Feb 19, 2014 North Carolina

FYI for everyone => I just got back - went from last Thursday thru this Monday. I put 12 16oz cans in my checked luggage. Luggage was pulled and opened as I passed thru customs in Punta Cana - they said all was good and I had no problem.

jrnyc likes this.
  18. Zetachi

Zetachi Initiate (65) Jan 25, 2011 New York

Heading down to Punta Cana Sunday. Debating bringing beer. Not sure its worth the extra weight in the bags. More worried about that then the customs issues. Plus I've heard that customs can be quick or a nightmare so not sure I want to add anymore time to the possible wait.

19. Macsimus

You have to go thru customs either way - having beer in your bag will not add time to that process. It took them two minutes to pull my bag and me over, open it and wave me on.

It is an additional pound of weight per 16oz can. I went for a Thursday thru Monday trip and had 12 beers with me - bag was about 44lbs. Wish I had packed another 4 beers and still would have been under the 50lb threshold.

jrnyc likes this.
  20. jrnyc

Premium Trader

Did you declare it on the customs form?

21. jrnyc

Premium Trader

Nothing like having your favorite beer on vacation, especially when the local selection is not good.

22. Macsimus

No I did not declare it on the form at all

23. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Devotee (455) Aug 18, 2012 New York

Heading down to Cabarete tomorrow morning for a surf trip. I wasn't going to check a bag other than my surfboard (which I've stocked with beers before on my way back from CA) but finding out the lack of decent beer makes me think I should stock my luggage with a few cans and check the bag. Unfortunatel¥, I've been crushing m¥ cans this week in expectations that I won't be around for the next two weeks.

Also, if I have issues getting through customs (which I don't expect to, been to many countries without issues) because of beer in my luggage I fully expect a verbal thrashing from my girlfriend who already thinks I drink too much.

LFC_YNWA likes this.
  24. LFC_YNWA

LFC_YNWA Initiate (109) May 31, 2014 New Jersey

This isn't helpful from a beer perspective but Cabarete is such a special place. Have an amazing time. I'm not even a surfer or kite surfer and I freakin loved that place