Purchase that made you feel like you were stealing?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by spidermite, Jan 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (4,702) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Premium Member

I picked up several bottles of Fantome (as many as I could fit in my bike panniers) at an MGM warehouse a couple years back for $7.99. I went back a day later for another load and they were priced $17.99. I bought a bottle of bourbon (for the same price) instead.
  2. RBowers

RBowers Initiate (139) Jul 21, 2014 Virginia

Lowes food had deviant dales for 10.99 I think. I bought all of them and haven't seen it there since.
  3. David_CT

David_CT Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

If something rings up wrong I have enough morals, as well as respect for the shop to say "Hey I think you got that wrong, do you want to double check". 90% of the time they thank me and give the lower price anyways, even if they check and see they had it wrong. The 10% that do correct the price, that's fine...that's what I was expecting to pay. Aside form being honest (another upside to this is) people remember that!! and helps when I ask for something ... just sayin'!
  4. RockAZ

RockAZ Disciple (371) Jan 6, 2009 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I got a deal on marked down Christmas beer too at a grocery store (Sunshine Market) not usually known for a big craft beer selection but they do have some. The big bottle, really big bottle of Mikkeller Red and White for $9.99 - it was three years old and most excellent tasting.
  5. Mattkart

Mattkart Initiate (111) Mar 20, 2014 Florida

An Avery Tweak mispriced for $3.50 when every other one in the row was $15. Call me a scumbag if you want but I don't feel bad about scoring a deal where someone messed up. Especially if it's in a place where I spend a lot of money anyway, which I do at the mentioned store.
    hophugger likes this.
  6. SpaceEurope

SpaceEurope Initiate (45) Dec 26, 2012 New Jersey

Bought a bottle of Allagash Curieux at a bar for $16 because that's what it was listed as on the menu (it was actually $25 but the manager gave the lower, listed price).
  7. jrnyc

jrnyc Meyvn (1,252) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Premium Member Beer Trader

WOW! You are actually proud enough of this to start a thread on it??!! You knew it was priced wrong, you should have said something, you didn't, then went back for more! They were doing you a favor selling it as it wasn't even in the system and then you screwed them at same time! Very dishonest of you.
    Chugs13 and Davidstan like this.
  8. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,096) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

Anytime I buy Lagunitas I can't believe the value I get. I wish more breweries would pay attention to their price point.
  9. Grodd87

Grodd87 Devotee (419) Jul 30, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Never felt like I am robbing someone but I felt like I got robbed before
    hophugger likes this.
  10. mbeerdino21

mbeerdino21 Zealot (511) Dec 24, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I've told this story on a thread like this before, but last year at a shop in Central NJ I had a fairly clueless cashier girl ring me up for a case of Sucks for $13 and change. I laughed when she told me how much it was and jokingly said "I wish. That's how much a sixer runs". Being that I tend to mumble at times she looked at me like I had 3 heads. At that point I just walked out the door with my purchase and then proceeded to run to my car. That didn't suck.
  11. fredmugs

fredmugs Poo-Bah (1,537) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I got a 4 pack of Devil Dancer for 12.99. After seeing what it was going for in other stores I'm guessing it should have been 21.99. Even at 12.99 that's pretty steep.
  12. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Aspirant (264) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama
    Beer Trader

One time I went to winn dixie and they had the Guinness pint cans rewrapped into 6packs for 7.99. It even said "Guinness draught can 4 pack" when they scanned them at the register and they didn't even notice hahaha. I went back like every day that week and got another one until about after 5 or 6 they took them off the shelves and had them in the normal paper sleeve 4 pack. Hahaha. Cheers Kevin.
  13. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (540) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Local bottle shop was doing 32oz growler fills of Sucre for $18.
  14. MrWilliams

MrWilliams Initiate (0) Nov 24, 2013 Arizona

This, and I was talking with the stores beer guy when I pulled it off the shelf. I didn't know the usual price for it when I picked it up. Next time I stopped by (next day) they had raised it up to $22.99.
  15. ColdOneKev

ColdOneKev Defender (641) Feb 18, 2012 North Carolina

I got a 4 pack of 2013 BCBS for 11.99 in January of 2014. I assumed it was marked wrong, but maybe because it was "old"?
    russpowell likes this.
  16. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,552) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Blvd Love Child 3 last year was $7.99 in the Minneapolis market the whole run because of a distributer error with the SKU# this year LC4 was $9.99 but they managed to fix that one after a few weeks
    russpowell likes this.
  17. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Wait a minute...

According to the OP the store manager said to charge him $1.99. I'm not seeing the problem, here. Now if it was just a cashier, yeah, that's different. But a manager? What's the alternative? Have the OP demand to have the manager call the owner of the store...so he can be charged more?

If the store manager can't be trusted to say what the price of an item is, then who can?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the original statement.
  18. alucard6679

alucard6679 Aspirant (260) Jul 29, 2012 Arizona

Six packs of Scuttlebutt 10 Below goin for 3.99 at the Total Wine I work at, don't know about anyone else but I actually really like that beer. Thought it was an error when I was first putting it in our seasonal section so I double checked with my manager and it wasnt, so as soon as I clocked out I bought some :grinning:
  19. nicole309

nicole309 Disciple (350) Jan 10, 2011 Alaska
    Beer Trader

I'm not sure why, but growler fills are way cheaper in Alaska than they are in the lower 48. Most 64 oz growler fills are only a couple dollars more than the 22oz bomber price and a 32 oz growler is cheaper than a 22oz bottle. Getting 3x the beer for a couple dollars more feels like stealing especially when it is something like Abyss.
    chinochino and russpowell like this.
  20. RochefortChris

RochefortChris Savant (962) Oct 2, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I snagged a sixer of a year old Bell's Third Coast for $9.99 at a gas station of all places. Also where I used to work a distributor was getting rid of some stuff and I picked up a 750mL of a Chimay tripel for $3.99.
  21. Vonerichs

Vonerichs Poo-Bah (1,641) Sep 1, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

The store can sell the product for whatever they want and it's their responsibility to price it as they see fit, not the consumers. How is the consumer telling the seller that their product is not priced to their liking "doing the right thing?"
    LMT likes this.
  22. A-HILLA

A-HILLA Initiate (0) Nov 26, 2013 Illinois

I was recently at an Irish bar in Wrigleyville and the female bartender told me they we're selling 22oz pours of "Bourbon County Ale" for 3$
    russpowell and pjeagles like this.
  23. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,250) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

The Simcoe MC is quite sweet and probably meant to be shared (that's what I did). Also, I could just never pull the trigger on Rum Pumking, even at $15.99 (I've paid more before). Luckily, my friend has a bottle though.

I grabbed this year's for $19, down from like $36. It was a splurge, but I've got some bottleshares and a convention coming up. Also, there are places that still have the 2013 one (not sure on the prices for those though).

There was a place that had a fire sale on their Boulevard 750's. $2 off bottles that were already like $9.99. Bought the last Love Child and a Harvest Dance. This was a while back though.
  24. puboflyons

puboflyons Poo-Bah (4,321) Jul 26, 2008 New Hampshire

Here in New Hampshire stores routinely sell beers are markdown prices at season's end or if they came out of a broken 12 pack.

The other day I picked up 6 packs of Goose Island IPA Koko Black Lager, and Goose Island Pale Ale for $3.00 a six pack. A couple weeks back I picked up a couple Magic Hat singles for .50 each (out of broken 12 pack). A few months ago I got a couple 4-packs of Chicory Stout for $3.99 each. I suppose my best deal happened last year when I bought 3 bombers of year old Ommegang Hennepin on clearance for $1.99/bottle.
  25. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,250) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

It seems like most of these errors happen at grocery store chains, like Whole Foods. If I worked at one of these, I would rule the craft beer section with an Iron Fist.

26. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (361) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

My local shop has some really good closeout deals. Right now it's Boulevard Harvest Dance 750's for 5.99, Green Flash Road Warrior 4-packs for 4.99, Southern Tier 2xRye 6-packs for 3.99, and Weyerbacker Imperial Pumpkin Ale 4-packs for 3.99. These are obviously intentional prices, but it's always a steal.
  27. Auror

Auror Defender (643) Jan 1, 2010 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Jack's Abby Barrel-Aged Framinghammer the first year in bottles. I bought a case at employee cost before it "blew up" a bit. Something like $3.50 or $4 each for a 16.9oz bottle of high gravity barrel-aged beer.
    mconn13 and darthvohn like this.
  28. spidermite

spidermite Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2014 California

sigh.. as far as the side conversation about my integrity is concerned. I mentioned to the cashier that in most areas they could probably get away with marking them up to 5 bucks. I have lived net to this store for 4 years, the manager at the time and i still joke about it when he is forced to run the register. Furthermore, 2 weeks after said incident they raised the price to 2.99 officially and it stayed there for a year, and they profited just fine.... and i cleaned a shelf of a huge store they had more in back

@Chugs13 if you seriously have an issue with my statements in the future, I would prefer the chance to defend myself in a personal message before having my name drug through the dirt in front of an entire community of people.
  29. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Poo-Bah (1,865) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I'm sure you made your parents proud that day
    Chugs13 and russpowell like this.
  30. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

Nice to know that you are okay with stealing
  31. SammyJaxxxx

Beer Trader

It is the going back to get more that makes his integrity questionable at best.
  32. Oisin

Oisin Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2005 California

If you had told the cashier that it was priced incorrectly, then I'd say you're morally in the clear. The fact that you didn't say anything is kinda' like dishonesty by omission.

I had a similar experience. The cashier at my corner liquor store charged me the Arrogant Bastard price for a bottle of Double Bastard. When I pointed out the mistake, he got a little defensive, saying something like "I think I know my inventory better than you, my friend." To which I responded by asking if he would mind if I went and got about a half-dozen more bottles. Shitty of me? Perhaps.
    hophugger and russpowell like this.
  33. K-jack211

K-jack211 Initiate (180) Jun 22, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Most states have consumer protection laws that require stores to sell items for the amount taggged, so long as the store is responsible for tagging the item. In fact, in MI, if a store mis-tags an item for less and then charges the full price at the register, it becomes liable for triple the difference between the amounts. Since a store is, by law, required to sell the product as tagged, it's ridiculous to call it "theft" when a consumer purchases a mis-tagged item, even if they knowingly do so. One can debate the morality of taking advantage of the situation or not alerting the retailer to its mistake, but that's a different issue than theft.
    ezerpdog likes this.
  34. Providence

Providence Initiate (0) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

All good points. Nevertheless, what would you want to happen if you were that manager? If I ran a liquor store and had something priced inappropriately I would hope customers would tell me. Obviously it's my responsibility to know and the customer is most certainly welcome to exploit the mistake. Nevertheless, if I were in the shoes of the store owner, it'd be nice to be given the heads up. It's easy to say, "I would hope someone burned like the OP did, so I'd learn my lesson." But is that really what you would want? Would you prefer to learn that lesson and not lose product? Furthermore, if the OP did pay full price, s/he's not losing anything. S/he was ready to pay the going rate for Arrogant Bastard anyways. A simple, "these things are usually like $6" wouldn't have cost her/him more money. The costumer would have paid what they were expecting to and gotten the beer they wanted while the owner would have learned about a mistake of theirs and no one would have to take on the lost revenue. I say all this because, in my experience, when monthly totals/annual totals aren't what they're "supposed to be" lay-off of the lowest paid staff, hour reductions, or wage freezes happen. In short, those things hurt the community much more than the OP gaining some cheap beer helps it.

I understand this is a values argument and, as such, it's impossible to really find any consensus. I think the points you raised above are understandable and justifiable. Nevertheless, I think it's worth pointing out that, for some, the manager giving the green light on the $1.99 price doesn't equate to a "go for it!" mentality.

35. Mitchell57

Mitchell57 Disciple (328) Jan 8, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

This doesn't happen to me lol...usually beer feels a little pricey, usually worth it
  36. mikepcarney

mikepcarney Zealot (526) Oct 28, 2009 Ohio

Jackie O's BA small batch. I bought Rum Oil of Apphrotie, BB Wood Burner, BB Dark App, BB Brick Kiln, multiples.. Typically they are $12, but knowone was buying them in podunk southern Ohio town I was visiting so he had them marked at 5.99. I stocked up..
  37. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,925) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Stupidity on a wholesale level, slay'em. Still y'all get it way cheaper up there, nearer to $12 or higher most places in the 4 state area...
  38. Immutable_Dusk

Immutable_Dusk Aspirant (238) Dec 16, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

A Berkot's near me heavily discounted the Goose Island sisters to move out their excess Lolita about 6 months back. Gillian and Madame Rose were both normally running 29.99 (which is crazy in the first place). I think they meant to lower the prices on these two to 22.99 and someone labeled the shelf 2.99. Grabbed 2 of each and they all rang up 2.99 at the register. No remorse on my part.
  39. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,126) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Went to buy some avery ba black eye. They had no price in the register and were going to charge the same as a single from the mix a six. I told themx no, thats not right. I paid full price for it. Couple weeks later beer karma came around I I recieved a case of some great beer for free.
  40. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,552) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Yeah after LC4 error was fixed this year it did go up to around $14-$16 at shops from the $9.99 error
    russpowell likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.