1. Looking to trade some beers? Check out How to Get Started with Beer Trading.
Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Quality Noob Trader

Discussion in 'Beer Trading Talk' started by UHCougar12, May 17, 2012.

1. JM03

JM03 Nov 12, 2010 Ohio

Yeah, that seems to be the trend lately. How many times lately has someone posted something that totally backfired on them. I guess the moral of the story is - think things through before you post!

Hanzo likes this.
  2. mattsander

mattsander Feb 3, 2010 Alberta (Canada)
    Beer Trader

"So I was driving a sharp kitchen knife into all the items in a recent beer trade box (like I always do)..."

3. evilc

evilc Jan 27, 2012 California

Rubber bands won't work when packing 12 bombers together as a solid, well protected unit.

4. woodchopper

woodchopper Jul 31, 2010 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I LOVE TAPE especially the duck brand with the Lil rubber ducky on it
    I also limit myself to a roll per box too :)

I've sent out some Monster boxes and no one has Sliced through a can yet or bitched about a Lil tape

If someone using tape pisses you off because you can't re use all the packing don't trade. I hate the packing peanuts my dog likes to eat them too so I'm on a first name basis with my vet and his banker :) LMAO

Its just a bit of tape really rules for packing now too?

Jamie

5. johnsaulrubio

johnsaulrubio Dec 2, 2006 Texas
    Beer Trader

I've been trading here for a few years and I tape the hell out of stuff I bubble wrap. I'm more concerned that the beer gets there intact, and not that my trading partner gets the bubble wrap intact.

6. HomeBrewed

HomeBrewed Dec 10, 2006 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Haha...I love it when "noob traders" make threads like this

7. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Mar 2, 2008 Oregon

I envision the OP as Roberto from Futurama.
    *stabs* Ha-ha!

8. 3rdto1st

3rdto1st Dec 1, 2011 California

lol, no way? I thought EXACTLY the same thing.

[​IMG]

9. cmmcdonn

cmmcdonn Jun 21, 2009 Virginia

Man, even the good-trader compliments are becoming snarky and condescending. I just WTF'd my pants.

claaark13 likes this.
  10. thagr81us

thagr81us Apr 28, 2010 South Carolina

[​IMG]

Etan likes this.
  11. cosmicevan

cosmicevan Dec 13, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

trader is only responsible until the shipper marks the box as delivered. if the box is delivered soaking or with broken bottles inside that is their issue. i'm no fan of massively mummified taped bubblewrap (if you must use tape, it is amazing how far one or two pieces of scotch tape can hold things together) however if you destroy the contents while opening the box it is on you.

jegross2 likes this.
  12. ChefBergo

ChefBergo Nov 9, 2011 Illinois

Good thought on reusing packaging material but first and foremost is to make sure the package you are sending gets there safely. I always overpack my boxes and if they can reuse some material great, if not then at least the beer got to its destination. Awfully nice of the guy to send more beer even though it was not his fault the can was sliced open.

13. GregSVT

GregSVT Jul 1, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

HAHA I was about to post the same thing. If someone complained that I taped up some bottles to make sure they got there safely I would promptly thank them for the trade and never talk to them again.

14. EricCioe

EricCioe Aug 7, 2010 Montana

I use rubber bands now but most of my partners use a 2 inch strip of tape or two on each bottle and it's fine. I never understood why alewatcher was so adamant about rubber bands, and because that's the resource everyone uses to learn how to trade it's taken as gospel. It shouldn't be. Tape is fine in moderation.

15. JRod1969

JRod1969 Nov 23, 2010 New York

Happy I saw this thread. Always looking to improve my trading skills and now I have an errand for the weekend. Looks like I now have to find a Renassaince Fair to buy some chain mail. Then I can wrap each beer in some and then use bubble wrap and tape. This will hopefully protect the beer if a trader tries to cut the tape with a sword.

[​IMG]

Personally, I inform all of my trade partners before shipping that I open boxes with a barrage of bullets from a semi-automatic hand gun, so they are on notice to wrap all beers in kevlar otherwise I out them as the horribly bad traders that they are.

16. danwho

danwho Feb 18, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

This thread = WIN

17. buffs9

buffs9 Apr 28, 2008 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Confused by a lot of this too. Tape is more helpful to the packer, just to hold things in place, but in the box it doesn't do anything if you pack everything tightly.

OP, not sure why you felt the need to point out his "mistake". I might've sent something saying, "I accidentally cut one of the cans while unwrapping, so I had to shotgun/drink it immediately. Thanks for the trade"

UHCougar12 likes this.
  18. UHCougar12

UHCougar12 Feb 21, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

Exactly what I did, and he proceeded to send me a second box with a replacement. That's the reason for this thread, to point out that he was a Quality Trader.

19. Steimie

Steimie Jan 7, 2012 Michigan

I think what you're missing here is that you said you "pointed out his mistake." What most folks here are saying is that the "mistake" was actually yours, not his.

20. yamar68

yamar68 Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

I seriously hope that all the hardcore glass bottle advocates cite this thread in upcoming bottle/can debates.

21. ant880

ant880 Nov 7, 2010 New York

Thank God I saw the way this thread turned out before I posted my "Caught Hep-C from a noob traders box but he made up for it with a PTE" thread. Close call....

22. Pahn

Pahn Dec 2, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

just cut out the 'noob' part and you're good.

ant880 likes this.
  23. zac16125

zac16125 Jan 26, 2010 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

That really was a Hattori Hanzo Sword.

scubahood, drewba and OsNJCB like this.
  24. peteinSD

peteinSD Apr 25, 2010 California

good entertainment value in this thread.

i suspect the next thread along these lines will be someone complaining that they were sent a box that was too heavy with extras and that the individual went to lift the box (bending at the waist improperly, of course) and hurt their back and dropped the box which resulted in breakage of some of the bottles therein.

the injured trader will send a message to their trade partner with a complaint about the unanticipated heavy weight of the box, the trade partner will feel bad and send a second, relatively light box with a nice rare beer to make up for the "mistake" of the heavy box which inflicted the injury leading to the bottle breakage, and the injured trader will post in the beeradvocate.com forums to thank the trade partner for being a "good trader".

25. DicemanSTL

DicemanSTL Oct 22, 2011 Missouri

This thread is in fact win. On a topical note, I always use styrofoam bottle shippers... they are ridiculously cheap, easy and a lot safer than any alternative. The bottle shop by my house sells 3-shippers for $4 and 6-shippers for $6. Lose a valuable package w/a whale or whatever once...

26. Archemedies

Archemedies Dec 8, 2011 Massachusetts

Note to self: If I ever trade with the OP, use lots and lots of duct tape.

yamar68 and UHCougar12 like this.
  27. Vaison

Vaison Aug 27, 2010 Delaware
    Beer Trader

I tape my bubble wrap. It's scotch tape and pretty darn easy just to pull off without needing a knife.

28. SHODriver

SHODriver Aug 13, 2010 Louisiana
    Beer Trader

I tape the shit out of the box but since I usually trade in the form of a 14x14 cube with nine bottles and just throw it all in a garbage bag. when I shipped smaller I'd always put each bottle in a sealed zip lock bag.

29. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Apr 30, 2011 Texas

The way I see it, if all bottles arrive safely with no leakage, there was no packing mistake. We all pack our own way. I myself learned today how important it is to properly handle a knife when opening beer boxes(cut myself). That being said, I would never use a knife in a manner that could cut through beer. Knife n00bs should be required to take beer safety cutting courses....for the sake of beer AND people.

jegross2 likes this.
  30. JohnB87

JohnB87 Mar 14, 2011 Michigan

And when, exactly, did this occur?

31. joshodonn

joshodonn Jan 21, 2011 Florida

I have used tape, rubber bands, but most recently I've been using the Press-and-Seal food wrap stuff to secure the bubble wrap around bottles... I have received some packages that had bottles that were heavily wrapped in regular saran wrap, and while very well packaged it was a bitch to unwrap. I got so frustrated I just cut everything and wasn't able to reuse the packing material. The Press-and-Seal not only sticks to the bubble wrap very well, it is also much easier to remove since you can use much less and it's easier to find the ends since it's opaque. I usually tear off about a 18 inch strip and then tear that longways in half, it's easy to tear by hand if you start with the perferation created by the cutting blade.

32. RandomName7

RandomName7 Feb 22, 2012 Washington

What I really want to know is if the OP did the smart thing and poured than punctured can into a glass and then drank it (or straight up shotgunned it) or if he wasted beer, cause that would make me sad.

33. CaptainTripps

CaptainTripps Aug 8, 2010 Oregon

This is the trick right there. I use tape all the time on my bubble wrap, and a couple of pieces of scotch tapes does wonders. Plus, its pretty easy to cut through or just to pull off so you can reuse the bubble wrap.

Still no excuse for the OP to go all Helter Skelter on his trade offerings.

34. antlerwrestler19

antlerwrestler19 Nov 24, 2010 Nebraska
    Beer Trader

I usually hire Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro to reenact the opening scene of "Goodfellas" on every single box I receive in trades. Makes for a purdy good time.

CaptainTripps likes this.
  35. jeepinjeepin

jeepinjeepin May 20, 2012 North Carolina

Don't trade with me. I have now officially made one trade, in person it was. I do have, though, a spotless eBay record of 209 positive transactions. Not a single negative, and I think no neutrals, in just over 10 years. Not a large number, I know, but I don't do this for a living mind you. I didn't get there by being all willy-nilly with my packaging though. I've sent some small items to Thailand. They got there just fine. I just don't care for filling out customs papers and waiting a month or more to hear that it was received. I also sent a 2x12 Peavey guitar amp to Texas once. I think it was Texas. How do you package a large, oddly shaped item that weighs nearly 100 pounds? Are you familiar with the product sold by the name of "Great Stuff"? Again, don't trade with me, or buy from me on eBay for that matter. Not that I have anything up for auction right now anyway. You will get it and it will be packaged according to the breakability and distance percieved by me.

36. brooklynbrews

brooklynbrews Jan 21, 2010 Uzbekistan

Huh?

Hanzo and Duff27 like this.
  37. Pahn

Beer Trader

going out on a limb and guessing that the poster you quoted might be a liiiiiiiiitle drunk.

38. jeepinjeepin

jeepinjeepin May 20, 2012 North Carolina

Dead sober. Sarcasm not coming across tonight? I know, it was a stretch.

39. Pahn

Beer Trader

nope, sounded like hardcore drunk earnestness.

brooklynbrews, Duff27 and libbey like this.
  40. Jparkanzky

Jparkanzky Apr 5, 2011 Ohio

I received a growler that leaked a fair bit..... no big deal, it happens, but that's not the point. The point is.... I re-used the bubble-wrap (a LOT of it) from the box to send out a box to a different person, and even warned her that it had beer/sticky/smelly stuff going on, but the bubble-wrap was self-adhesive at that point, so it was a win-win!

All made it safely by the way ;)

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe