Question about aging lower abv beer

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by BlueRogue, Feb 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Maine

I bought a sixer of Southern Tier Old Man Winter Ale (7.7% abv) a few months ago. I drank 3 of them and I'd like to save the other 3 for next winter. Should I just keep them in my refrigerator where they'd stay around 40°F instead of putting them in my basement where they'd be around 50°F but probably a little closer to 60°F during the summer? I plan on drinking them in December or January.

2. stevefinny

stevefinny Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2009 New Jersey

Keep 2 in the frig and 1 in the cellar. Let us know how it turns out.

gustogasmic and TicoCali like this.
  3. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2010 California

7.7% ABV isn't exactly a lower ABV.

4. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Michigan

I got a single of this and DO NOT KNOW whether to drink now or later! Was it sweet?

ChainGangGuy review: "Had it two years ago and thought it was fine. Two years later, it's still fine."

I am by the beach in Florida, this puppy's only 2 months old, and the reviews of the beer, both fresh and aged, report citrus notes and hop bitterness. That, combined with the lower-for-the-style ABV, is enough for me to favor drinkin' one now rather than aging it just to get some more biscuit/ malt in there... If it's awesome, I'll seek some more out and age it. Need more old ales in the cellar to sit by all the barleywine.

5. nickapalooza86

nickapalooza86 Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2010 Wisconsin
    Deactivated

I had one with a few months on it and thought it improved a bit. I have one more down there I will have that one in a few more months. But it is an Old Ale so it should do ok for a while.

6. gustogasmic

gustogasmic Initiate (0) Jan 13, 2012 Michigan

I had it and was very meh. Its DOB was 11/3/11. Love the spiciness, malts, and fruits, but there just wasn't enough for me- looking for a wallop in my old ales! Good stuff either way- Christmasy with the spice, similar to an IPA with the hops and 7.7 ABV. If I see it again, I might get one and age it... maybe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.