Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Question about Bourbon and Gravity

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by JeanPaulValley, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JeanPaulValley

JeanPaulValley Feb 27, 2013 Pennsylvania

Hey all, I'm pretty inexperienced with homebrewing, and currently have a porter in secondary (5 gallon batch). We extracted 3 vanilla beans in a some bourbon (8oz), and pitched that all into the beer when we moved it to secondary. There seems to still be activity, as the airlock is still bubbling intermittently. Here's my question: My gravity when I moved the beer to secondary had held steady at 1.018 for 4 days. After being in secondary for about a week, we took a gravity reading, and it was 1.020. We double and triple checked, but it definitely seems that the gravity is currently higher than when we transferred. Would the vanilla or bourbon raise the gravity, or should I just chalk this one up to human error?
  2. clearbrew

clearbrew Nov 3, 2009 Louisiana

It is very likely due to temperature changes.
    jbakajust1 likes this.
  3. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The bourbon would lower the gravity.
  4. JeanPaulValley

JeanPaulValley Feb 27, 2013 Pennsylvania

Thanks for the replies guys. Now I know for the future.
  5. mikehartigan

mikehartigan Apr 9, 2007 Illinois

Indeed! 8 oz bourbon would lower the gravity from 1.018 to 1.017777..., then a touch lower due to the alcohol. I didn't do the research necessary to calculate that, but I think it's safe to say that the resolution of a homebrew variety hydrometer would likely read 1.018 after adding the bourbon.

I vote temperature.
  6. VikeMan

VikeMan Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I just got 1.0168 based on bourbon at 0.920 SG. But I did it without a calculator, so I might be off.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!