Questions on food pairings

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by VictorWisc, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Devotee (463) Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Here are two food-related beer questions. Maybe even three...

1) What is the best pairing you've had of craft beer and an entree? This is harder than it looks -- if you really want to appreciate the beer, it must not clash with the food nor should one overwhelm the other. Ideally, you want them to not only complement but also to enhance each other -- having a perfect Imperial IPA with a rare filet mignon might ruin them both

2) What is the best snack food or amuse bouche that pairs well with a particular beer as a chaser (looking for the precise pair, not a generic item)? E.g.: Dark Truth and Taza salt-and-pepper chocolate or Chimay Blue and a miso-crusted seared scallop (just examples, not an indication of taste)

Bonus question: Sometimes when you go out, you look at a wine list and think, "Damn! A beer would be so much better!" Or you're throwing a dinner party and would like a case to cover the entire range. I'm not talking about a plate of wings with a side of suds or a burger'n'Guinness. I'm thinking more of a fine restaurant, e.g., a decent Italian or Spanish cuisine that might present a dilemma -- red or white -- especially when there are several people in the party who are likely to order quite diverse dishes and appetizers? When faced with that choice, quite often I think the solution might be a good bottle of Belgian -- if the product is picked well, it will successfully replace both a red and a white. E.g., a nice double may pair well with both a meat dish that demands a red and a fish/chicken dish that demands a white (as long as the dish is not too delicate), and I've done just that on a number of occasions. What kinds of beer would succeed in that role? Most people won't even consider beer in this context. What say you?

2. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (3,213) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

i like IPA'S with Chinese food always have
    Saison's i like with dishes like carbonara ,mussels/clams white sauce ,shrimp Alfredo

3. mborden

mborden Initiate (54) Jan 28, 2009 New York

In response to question 2, I've particularly enjoyed a small plate of Stilton and a Brooklyn Monster Ale. I haven't tried it with other barleywines, but that gives me a good idea....

VictorWisc likes this.
  4. VictorWisc

Stilton with barleywine sounds like an excellent idea. Brennan's in Wisconsin has some 10- and 15-year aged cheddar that may pair well with some DIPAs, but I'm breaking my own rule for not being specific :rolling_eyes:

mborden likes this.
  5. mborden

mborden Initiate (54) Jan 28, 2009 New York

Yeah, that sounds AWESOME. I'll do the Stilton/Barleywine experiment and you do the Aged Cheddar/DIPA experiment and we can report back on the results, haha.

6. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,345) Jun 11, 2013 New York

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My amuse bouche is from a coconut rice with shrimp and colorful vegetables above. My beer pairing was Victory Prima Pils.

7. stella77artois

stella77artois Devotee (495) Nov 4, 2010 New York

There are plenty, but a recent favorite was Lake Placid Ubu Ale w/ excellent pizza. Not sure what it was, but the two made each other better.

8. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (539) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Pipeworks chipotle smoked porter with pollo asada enchiladas with the green sauce. Cafe con leche rocks some awesome mexican food and is byo.

9. Steve1961

Steve1961 Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2013

I NEED HELP....? When I visited Germany, many years ago (-25-) in the US ARMY, I had some Cheese with an Ale. The Ale was called Double bock and it was very dark also it tasted great. Although, the Bartender told me I should have the drink with some cheese. The Cheese they served ( the name escapes me ) with the ale brought out the flavor of ale more intensely. Is there anybody out there that can HELP ME find the name of the cheese or even a Cheese that might possibly bring about the same effect???

10. VictorWisc

I just wanted to thank Todd to moving the discussion to its proper place. I'm still figuring out all the BA navigation...:sunglasses:

11. VictorWisc

Just one question -- was the cheese young, semi-soft, hard or aged? There are different cheeses that bring out flavors in a beer and many German ones are not imported in the US. But I might figure out which one you meant if you give some indication of texture and age. No promises, though.

12. Chinon01

Chinon01 Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2007 Pennsylvania

Where were you in Germany?

13. smakawhat

smakawhat Poo-Bah (5,936) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

1) Tilquin gueze - shelled East coast raw oysters. Grass fed porterhouse and peppercorn tripel from Brewers Art. West Virigina ramp soup and rosemary trout zombie dust.. probably a few that I am missing.

2) a simple light fruit sherbert/sorbee

3) a good catch all beer to me is an amber ale.. or possibly lager, but it depends on the food items and what I would want to acentuate.

utopiajane likes this.
  14. kdb150

kdb150 Devotee (456) Mar 8, 2012 Pennsylvania

For #3, I like a good tripel as a catch-all food beer. It doesn't overpower most dishes, it stands up well even to red meat, and it even goes nicely with spicy dishes.

VictorWisc likes this.
  15. Rob1110

Rob1110 Initiate (62) Jul 7, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

One of the best food/beer pairings was with Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad paired with a roast. Completely accidental too. Brought a bottle of BBQ to a friend's house to hang out and play some music and he happened to be making a huge roast with onions, carrots and collard greens. The pairing was stellar. The fruit notes in the BBQ complemented the meat perfectly.

VictorWisc likes this.
  16. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,956) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Almost any Blue Vein cheese works well with almost any barleywine.

VictorWisc likes this.
  17. VictorWisc

Stilton and Tiny come to mind...

18. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (2,956) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

As do Maytag Blue and Insanity...

VictorWisc likes this.
  19. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 Aspirant (287) May 12, 2008 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

One of my all-time favorite pairings I've discovered is bacon, potato soup and scotch ale (Backwoods Bastard if I have my druthers).

As for snacky type things... I make a lot of homemade popcorn. Sweeter popcorn (I caramelize sugar and put it on top but kettle corn would be the same concept) goes great with american barleywines (Bigfoot is a solid pairing). The malt with the sugar and butter is great and the hops just provide a different layer to me. English are good but in much more of a dessert way than a snack.

VictorWisc likes this.
  20. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Stilton + Sucaba = bliss

VictorWisc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.