Quick Question: 60 or 20 minute boil?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by esv, Apr 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. esv

esv Initiate (0) May 26, 2005 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I'm brewing an extract pale ale. My hopping schedule starts at 20 minutes. I'm just using some crystal, which has been steeped and dme. Do I need to do a 60 minute boil or can I basically do a 20 minute boil?

2. inchrisin

inchrisin Defender (654) Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

So long as you're sure you don't add your hops at the 40 minute mark you could get away with a 20 min boil. Is this some sort of a hop burst recipe?

3. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,005) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I've done short boils and late extract additions to my boils and find they just don't turn out quite as well as the full boil does.

4. TriageStat

TriageStat Disciple (320) Sep 20, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

A 60 minute boil will give you better hop utilization

5. OddNotion

OddNotion Devotee (478) Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Only if hops are added at 60 or earlier.

6. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,419) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

If you only boil 20 minutes, you'll get less melanoidin formation, which you may or may not like.

nozferatu46 likes this.
  7. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (372) May 2, 2006 Utah

I've done several 20-minute-boil batches using extract and specialty grains. All APA type beers. All were quite good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.