Ranger Creek Blackberry Sour

Discussion in 'US - South' started by starkmarvelo, Aug 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blatherbeard

blatherbeard Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2007 Texas

Sounds like it was worse than my buddys "imperial stout" lol

what say you #kmello69

kmello69 likes this.
  2. kmello69

kmello69 Initiate (0) Nov 27, 2011 Texas

Thats a tough one. :wink:

The blackberry "sour" was undrinkable. 5 different people poured it out, and not one of us seemed to enjoy it. So do with that what you will.

blatherbeard likes this.
  3. caffeineTX

caffeineTX Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2014 Texas

Just tried this last night. It was atrocious.

It is a sour but it tastes like it was infected (like it wasn't meant to be a sour beer but ended that way). I was really looking forward to this after small batch 6 because that was a really enjoyable sour but this shouldn't have even been put on shelves.

I'm almost kind of curious to see if it mellows out with age but at $7-8 a bottle and being this bad at release I'm not sure it is worth buying any more of and wasting cellar space.

edit: after reading through this thread i'm kinda glad other people thought the same stuff about it that I put in my review so it wasn't just me.

4. justin07

justin07 Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2006 Texas

Took one of their 1st beer tours years ago and tried their 1st 4 beers or so and always thought they were below avg. Was about to give this new one a shot and glad I read this thread first.

5. BigBallaJett

BigBallaJett Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Texas

Glad I read this thread, thought about going to pick one up but now see it isn't worth my time.

6. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

You really need to try a Small Batch 4 before you start dogging Ranger Creek.

caffeineTX likes this.
  7. caffeineTX

I also enjoyed 5, 6, & 7

i unfortunately never had 4

8. Longhorn08

Longhorn08 Aspirant (283) Feb 4, 2014 Texas
    Trader

But all the cool kids do it!

9. tx_beer_man

tx_beer_man Initiate (169) Jan 22, 2013 Texas

Hah! I had one beautiful bottle of it in 2012, as well as on draft. GLORIOUS. I had one bottle in 2012 that was awful, or as others may say "infected." Just opened up another RC SB4 this past weekend and it was yup...Infected.

10. caffeineTX

i remember having their smoked porter or w.e in my beer appreciation class and it had a little sourness that reminded me of a flanders, looked at the bottling date and it was done right after small batch 6.

I think they just suck at sanitizing/cleaning their bottling equipment and it ruins batches. Certain bacteria used in brewing are very difficult to get rid of once you use them, especially brett. It is a very resistant bacteria that will take over equipment.

tx_beer_man likes this.
  11. puddledynamics

puddledynamics Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2009 Texas

I haven't chimed in in forever , but holy shit...have people forgotten that they have access to almost all information in the world at their fingertips?

12. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

Brett is a yeast, not a bacteria. It's just as easy to kill as normal yeast with the right practices.

nathanmiller and TexasBeerGuy like this.
  13. Wayne17

Wayne17 Zealot (580) Jan 8, 2013 Texas

Ok just tried this tonight... I kinda liked it. It smells like it would be very sour but it certainly isn't. It reminds me of cherry funk in many ways honestly, but I think I like this a touch more. I get blackberry jam flavor on the finish which i like. It's underwhelming but I don't hate it one bit.

14. mindswoop

mindswoop Initiate (0) Dec 22, 2011 Texas

Sweet blackberry jam. Much too sweet for my tastes.

15. TexasBeerGuy

TexasBeerGuy Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Texas

Since we're talking about it, brett doesn't make a beer sour (some strains might create a perceived tartness under the right conditions, but a brewer could confirm the extent that it does), athough many beers soured by bacteria also use a strain of brett.

16. jamescain

jamescain Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2009 Texas

Brett produced acetic acid in the presence of elevated amounts of oxygen, but not enough to sour a beer. Generally any beer that used pedio will also have Brett, because pedio produces diacetyl, which Brett will clean up with time.

TexasBeerGuy likes this.
  17. TexasBeerGuy

TexasBeerGuy Initiate (0) Apr 30, 2013 Texas

Perfect, thanks for that. My understanding was that it's possible under certain conditions to create some acidity, but I wasn't sure if it was enough to give a perceived sourness. Good info, thanks for chiming in.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.