Rant about stores marking up previous Goose Island BCBS releases

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Burt, Nov 30, 2019.

1. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,361) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I picked up pounders of weldwerks Mexican achromatic for half the price of regular bcbs and know I didn't miss out on a thing.

Tilley4 and LarryV like this.
  2. rgordon

rgordon Savant (994) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

They be stoops. Easy come easy go.....

Skabiski, rozzom and LarryV like this.
  3. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,993) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I don’t think anyone here does that , any example I used was strictly coincidental. But if your a multi million dollars operation even banking a few extra thousand is ridiculous. My reputation is worth more than that.

4. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (472) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

This is obviously the way these places really bring in the dough imo

beertunes likes this.
  5. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (1,521) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

That's outrageous. It's a great beer, but I refuse to pay over $12-13 for a bottle. I wait till it starts becoming a shelf turd and they drop the prices to get rid of it. It doesn't sell out around here, last year bottles were going for $20 near me. I picked up two bottles for $10 each when the store was blowing it out.

rozzom likes this.
  6. teromous

teromous Poo-Bah (2,223) Mar 21, 2010 Virginia
    Trader

I don't know your local bottle shop so I can't speak to whether or not they did this, but I did encounter this in the past and the bottle shop told me that the distributor had "found some extra cases in the back" and offered them to the local stores. Everybody wants a cut in the 3-tier system.

sharpski likes this.
  7. zid

zid Meyvn (1,356) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

High prices seem to achieve the same effect. :wink:

rozzom likes this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,606) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

They're either idiots, or they're not. Like with every short term versus long term investment plan there is plenty of reason to think both possible results are likely to be superior. And as with those investments it is necessary to understand the variables and look at results before calling someone an idiot.

I would also suggest that if bottle shop owners don't know what they are doing, they are far exceeded in that ignorance by every person in the universe who doesn't own a bottle shop.

jrc1093 and beertunes like this.
  9. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,494) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Yup. Hypeboiz has no limits.

10. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,494) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

Why? Moar blind Hypesterz will buy enuff for Inbev to laugh off the remnants .

11. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (472) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

So as a stockholder, should I be expecting a sweet dividend from Costco?

Just saw cases of 2018 for about $120. This definitely sounds like a retirement plan if I’ve ever seen one

officerbill likes this.
  12. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Initiate (193) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Trader

I never understood the hate towards inbev. They are buying craft breweries that are willing to sell. It was never a hostile takeover.

13. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,532) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I think it's all about shelf space. ABI 'craft' beers are showing up in my stores now, and these beers were not even carried by these stores in the past. 'Forcing' themselves into the stores, or being newly-introduced into the state and the store wants to carry a new brand, I'm not sure.

14. Justonemore91

Trader

There's no way a distributor can force their way onto a retailers shelf. Retailers always decide what they will or will not carry because they pay the bills

SouthAtholSuds and officerbill like this.
  15. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (708) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

The hate comes from them trying to stifle competition in manners that are unethical or illegal. If smaller craft brewers did some of the things InBev has been fined for they would be out of business due to fines, but InBev has deeps pockets that make these fines a slap on the wrist that just encourages them to try some other form of market manipulation. (That being said I still support GI because it's my home town and OG brewery, but don't touch anything else Inbev does.)

ManBearPat and GuyFawkes like this.
  16. Justonemore91

Trader

Do you have a source for this

17. rozzom

rozzom Champion (852) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Is that a fact? I don’t work in the space, but you have to imagine there’s a bit of a “you want X then you need to take Y” going on. Maybe I’m totally off base though.

PapaGoose03, beertunes, DIM and 3 others like this.
  18. Justonemore91

Trader

If that was the case the retailers can still say no. You want to work with retailers not strongarm them

19. rozzom

Trader

do you work in the space yourself? are you the guy who mentioned his brother works at good old food emporium in the mid-atlantic forum or am I mixing you up with someone else?

20. Justonemore91

Trader

I use to work retail about 8 years ago as an assistant manager at a supermarket. My brother currently works at food emporium while he finishes school. Never has a beer distributor told me you have to buy x to get y and we could get bourbon county, kbs and etc without issue. We did deal in huge volume so that helped

21. rozzom

Trader

So you guys didn’t ever stock the “regular” beers? No centennial, porter, urban wheat, 312 etc? But still got BCBS and KBS on demand?

I always imagined there was some sort of tied purchasing. For example the great little beer store close to me never received KBS (but never stocked regular Founders offerings) yet the small Korean supermarket that for some reason had an inordinate amount of Founders year round stuff, always got cases of the stuff.

22. Justonemore91

Trader

All you have to do is ask your sales rep for the cases. Some stores are craft savvy and some aren't. And these cases are really expensive so most stores don't want to pay over $100 for a case of beer.

officerbill likes this.
  23. rozzom

Trader

sorry so that’s a yes or a no? at the place you worked did you or did you not stock the year round stuff?

beertunes likes this.
  24. HouseofWortship

Trader

Do you want me to list proof the world is round as well? Do yourself a favor and familiarize yourself with Google. Look up Inbev with terms: "corrupt practices", "violations", "pay to play", "Fined", etc. Or if that is too much work just go read "Barrel Aged Stouts and Selling Out"...

tobelerone and beertunes like this.
  25. HouseofWortship

Trader

Unfortunately, that isn't the case in Illinois and it has been documented here that BCBS allocations are tied to how much other Goose product a retailer moves(purchases).

26. Justonemore91

Trader

Yeah we stocked some goose and founders

27. Justonemore91

Trader

Not in NYC. Top hops gets a huge allocation and they barely sell any goose. It's a on premise bar and they probably have one line open for just goose. I can only speak from my experience as I was never told you have to sell x to get y

28. rozzom

Trader

IIRC correctly the top hops owner used to work for AB-Inbev and/or is very tied in with them somehow. Hence when they opened (I rarely go anymore - not sure if this is still the case) Budweiser would be on draft. So I think there’s more going on beneath the surface as far as Top Hops <> BCBS goes. Also their pricing this year was ridiculous so fuck em

edit - yep here you go:

https://www.ediblemanhattan.com/departments/notable-edibles/beer-boutique/

Not that Kenny is a stickler for farmstead fare: Before he opened Top Hops, he spent seven years in marketing and sales with Anheuser-Busch and InBev, repping big-name beers like Stella Artois, Budweiser and Leffe. In fact, the latter two, he says, are always on tap at Top Hops.

29. Justonemore91

Trader

If you have a good relationship with your distributor all you can do is ask. Chances are they would want to please you. But don't ever expect to see me at top hops

30. AWA

AWA Aspirant (261) Jul 22, 2014 California

Perhaps I was a little too harsh. But with over 30 years of small business consulting under my belt, I'm comfortable saying trying to increase margin at the expense of volume and turn rate is a mistake in 2019. Big volume will give better standing with your vendors. You'll get more merchandising help, an actual return allowance, and maybe even some advertising dollars. As competition erodes, maybe you can work on increasing margin, but it sure shouldn't be anyone's focus today.

31. Justonemore91

Trader

How can you possibly pay rent, taxes, and employees a livable wage if you don't make a decent margin?

32. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,097) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

He's referring to the topic under discussion in this thread of slow rolling bcbs variants at an extreme mark up as opposed to selling it all immediately at your typical margin

rozzom likes this.
  33. AWA

I really believe volume is the key. My first client was a national music store chain back in the 80's. They were getting about 35% margin on everything they sold. Pretty much industry standard. Problem was they were only getting about 700k in volume out of each box. When Best Buy and Circuit City started selling music they were making 15-20%. But once they took off they were doing 2-3 times the volume of the stand alone stores. Because of the volume, they were able to get more copies of shit that was selling well. Hard good retail is lucky to pull 7% today.
    If I had a bottle shop doing 500k a year, I'd be terrified about the next 10 years. Maybe find a partner to throw some money in so I can lower pricing and bury some competitors. That's really the only way to greatly increase your volume.

beertunes likes this.
  34. Justonemore91

Trader

I agree I got off point for a second. My bad lol

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  35. cavedave

Trader

I owned my own business for a long time. Everyone knew how to run it better than I did.

36. AWA

More often than not, other people actually do. Owners tend to take their business personally. Alright, maybe not more often than not, but fairly often. It's hard for most people to make great decisions when they're emotionally attached. I'm emotionally dead, which helps me make good decisions for others.

ManBearPat likes this.
  37. cavedave

Trader

That sounds good, I bet that line gets you a lot of business. My guess is most businesses are like mine was and the intimacy was more an intimate knowledge of the local business culture, my suppliers, my competitors, my customers, my history in the area, my business' relevance to the current marketplace, the changing needs of the market, new developments in my industry, and specific economic forecasts for my industry and area.

I am sure whatever you charged to help successful businesses to succeed was well worth it to them. I also suspect you didn't offer refunds if it didn't work out. Thanks for sharing your insights with us. Cheers!

#77 cavedave, Dec 4, 2019 at 3:56 AM
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 4:06 AM
    beertunes likes this.
  38. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (128) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

wow, $5.99 out here for the basic stout and barleywine from that year