Rare Barrel growler shipping.

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by iamjay, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iamjay

iamjay Feb 13, 2014 California

I have heard from a couple people to not ship the rare barrel growlers but I am curious if this is true? I'm located in Los Angeles and want to have a trustee pickup my filled growler and ship it to me. My question is if anybody has had success doing this? All advice is appreciated

2. MegDuf32

MegDuf32 Jan 12, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

I shipped a growler of Baudonia. Just packed it extra well and double boxed it. Chicago to New Hampshire and it was fine.

3. Enochase04

Enochase04 Feb 12, 2014 Ohio

If it's an ambassador growler I wouldn't because if anything happens its $45 to replace. Regular growlers shouldn't be a problem. Just have ur trustee put some tape around the cap and use lots of bubble wrap. I also put mine in a trash bag and double knot in case of breakage

4. mps

mps Jul 27, 2013 Ohio

If it is the Ambassador growler why get it sent to you at all? It's really not much use if you aren't going to the brewery and getting it filled with the Ambassador drafts when they are on tap. Let your trustee use it to get extra growler fills as a thank you for picking your beers up...just my .02 and what I am doing with mine.

5. Curb71

Curb71 Oct 22, 2012 California

Can't say I understand that logic. I have a friend that goes there almost every weekend cause he lives down the street. He could have my growler filled and ship it to me a few times a month. Then he could ship it to me and I ship it back to him empty so of course it would be of use. He is also a member so does not need my growler since he has his own. Just wondering like the OP said if this is a ceramic growler, what is the best way to pack it and have others been successful?

6. kiki3drt292

kiki3drt292 Jan 13, 2011 California

I've sent multiple growlers in the mail. No problems either time. The two methods I used were:

1) Wrap the hell out of it with bubble wrap and put it in a stronger box. Sent to Colorado.
    2) Carved out a portion in a 12-bottle styro shipper. Sent to Pennsylvania.

7. mps

mps Jul 27, 2013 Ohio

He's going to ship your growler to you a few times a month? Most people aren't going to consider dropping an extra $100 a month for some growler fills but to each their own...

My trustee appreciated being able to get an extra 32 oz growler very much. And it is a ceramic growler...most would recommend not shipping it I think considering it's $45 to replace

8. Rotero24

Rotero24 Aug 6, 2013 California

Just like other BAers mentioned in earlier posts, make sure you wrap the growler in a bag and use lots of bubble wrap. I also put the growler inside a small padded box and put that box inside another bigger box with other bottles. I have only shipped a few times from Nor cal to So cal but no issues here.

9. mythaeus

mythaeus Jul 22, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Anyone has proofs that ceramic growlers break easier than glass ones? While this is my initial inclination, I have a nagging feeling that it may not be the case. I'd think they make the ceramic growlers thicker than ceramic plates. Any material engineers or experts in the house?

10. Curb71

Curb71 Oct 22, 2012 California

I guess not...
    So nobody on BA ships this thing? lol.
    I'm going to give it a shot. It's just money after all, right? Either I ship it around and get some use out and risk breaking it or I don't and don't get to try the beers that are only available on draft, like Kerfuffle!
    [​IMG]

11. jmarsh123

jmarsh123 Mar 31, 2010 Indiana
    Trader

I had mine shipped to me. No issues as far as breaking. Just wrap it well. The seal on it sucks. Tape the hell out of it. Mine leaked about 4 oz or so by the time it got to me so bag it well too.

12. Coldstorage

Coldstorage Oct 1, 2014 California

Shipped two growlers for folks I trustee for and both reported they arrived safe and tasty. TRB zip ties them for you and other than that I bag the growler and double box (with a bag on the inner box) and no problems at all.

13. beerific

beerific Nov 8, 2010 California

The only one I have shipped so far this year leaked :slight_frown:

14. pmarlowe

pmarlowe Nov 27, 2010 Virginia

The handle of my ceramic growler broke off while being shipped to me. But otherwise it was fine.

If they're going to spend so much on a growler, why not go for insulated SS? Doesn't make sense.

15. mendvicdog

mendvicdog Sep 1, 2006 Maryland

My growler was shipped to me with no leakages or breaks. It was wrapped in a lot of bubble wrap and sandwiched in a sytro box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.