Rare beers

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mmmmbeer, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmmmbeer

mmmmbeer Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Illinois

Is it worth holding onto rare beers, for the simple fact they are rare? I find it hard to drink the last bottle of something that has been retired, yet will not age well. Is it just me?
  2. dbfp210

dbfp210 Initiate (0) Jun 27, 2012 Pennsylvania

Personally. I would rather enjoy the beer while it's still good. Save the bottle if you have an issue with letting go.
    trixdout and cosmicevan like this.
  3. BearsOnAcid

BearsOnAcid Savant (967) Mar 17, 2009 Washington
    Beer Trader

What are you holding on to?
  4. dmoser

dmoser Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2009 California

for the sake of worst case scenario irony im guessing stone enjoy by.
    FUNKPhD likes this.
  5. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,431) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Now here's what I want you to do. Go find the rarest, most precious beer in your cellar.

What, you're still there? What are you waiting for? Go. NOW.

I'm still waiting.

OK. Got it? Now listen carefully. I want you to open that beer and drink it. NOW.

When you're done with that one, go get the next rare, precious beer in your cellar, and repeat.
    Keep doing that until they're all gone.
    Soon you'll be over this little obsession.
  6. gtermi

gtermi Meyvn (1,214) Apr 21, 2010 Texas

Its better to drink it fresh and while its tasty, instead of letting a beer go to waste
  7. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (587) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Its hard not to yell at you right now but you answered your own question in your post. You say they will not age well so what are you saving them for?....so a few years down the road you can say, "here is this great rare beer that I wasted by not drinking it". Beer is for drinking my friend.
    FUNKPhD and yamar68 like this.
  8. MagPie

MagPie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2012 Illinois

If you don't want to drink it now, I will! =)
  9. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

No, if you know it doesn't age well just trade it to some idiot that will give up a lot just because he's getting a rare beer. You end up with some beer you know you'll enjoy the hell out of. I don't see the point in keeping rare beer just for the sake of rarity.
  10. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (2,134) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Premium Member

Drink 'em if you got 'em is my approach.
    biglobo8971 likes this.
  11. joedevivre

joedevivre Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2010 Illinois

There might be a much better forum for this question, so I apologize for not searching first, but what rare beers are less likely to age well?
  12. drabmuh

drabmuh Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2004 Maryland

Eventually you'll die and my goal is to have zero beer in my possession when that happens to me. There is always new and interesting beer coming out. The whales of tomorrow often start out as the dolphins of today. I find it mildly comical to completely stupid to hold onto "rare" beer. Don't believe the now historical eBay disclaimer, the value is in fact in the contents not the container. Drink 'em if you've got 'em.
    biglobo8971 and Etan like this.
  13. Sarlacc83

Sarlacc83 Crusader (752) Mar 2, 2008 Oregon
    Beer Trader

You wouldn't have this problem if you lived in Washington state, from what I hear.
  14. Photekut

Photekut Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2006 Tennessee

...but you cant rape people for super wales later if you drink them now.
  15. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,658) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

No, it's not just you.

I've only felt this way about a handful of beers, but it happens.

Tons of people do this. But that silent majority will remain silent, for fear of being roundly mocked.
  16. theCoder

theCoder Disciple (393) Oct 24, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I was going to hang onto my Kate the Great last year, but decided it wasn't worth it to wait and man I'm glad I didn't. I hang onto rare(r) beers I can get locally because I can usually try them fresh easy enough (Darkness, Surly anniversary beers, Commander, etc).

DRink it, hate to go through hoops to get a rare beer and hang onto it just to long.
  17. FosterJM

FosterJM Poo-Bah (2,719) Nov 16, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

Right for the rape joke huh? Well played.

18. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Initiate (0) Apr 13, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

I want to know the beer in question, as well.
  19. ShogoKawada

ShogoKawada Meyvn (1,247) May 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

if you hold on to bottles because you think they're rare, you're a glass bottle hoarder, not a beer drinker.
    biglobo8971 and draheim like this.
  20. draheim

Beer Trader

Sounds like a topic for discussion over at GlassBottleHoarderAdvocate.com. I bet they'd have a completely different take on this.
  21. ShogoKawada

it baffles my mind thinking about how many awesome, or used-to-be-awesome, beers are rotting away in a basement because someone had to have it but is too afraid to drink it.
  22. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

I can't really offer any advice since there's no rare beers from Washington.
    Sarlacc83 and draheim like this.
  23. leedorham

leedorham Crusader (701) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

They are just going through an awkward phase. In about 20 years those beers will be divine.
    drewba likes this.
  24. draheim

Beer Trader

That just makes the rest of them even more rare, right?
  25. ShogoKawada

this beer is so rare! tastes like wet cardboard. obviously the brewer didn't know what they were doing.
  26. GennyCreamAle

GennyCreamAle Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2009 New York

Yea you should hold on to that thing like for awhile. Hasn't anyone here seen Antiques Road show? Your great great grandson will make a pretty penny on that someday...

Good grief just drink the beer.
  27. mmmmbeer

mmmmbeer Initiate (0) Apr 11, 2012 Illinois

Being a craft beer noob, I probably didn't use the word "rare" correctly. More just beers I can't get anymore, like lagunitas imperial red, and left hand fade to black. Anyway, looks like I will be drinking them tonight, guess it was just the investor in me. Thanks for the feedback.
  28. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (12,417) Mar 18, 2010 California

Drink now if you have never tried them before. Then decide if you want to lay some down.
  29. trixdout

trixdout Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2011 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Sometimes, to this day, I think threads are started with a catch in them to see if its a troll or not....
  30. biglobo8971

biglobo8971 Devotee (480) May 6, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

my advice, grab a friend, share a beer. Who knows, your Fade to Black might turn in to a Black Tuesday. Not magically, but I share the beers I covet the most with guys I know whould enjoy them as well. Proof? Whipped this out Darkness Day Eve with about 7 other BA's, every one got a sample of the 12 before the day, and every one got to try the 07. I then went back to our table and sought out well deserving BA's that I had shared beers with before. So sharing is caring.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.