Rating the infected Bourbon County Barleywine and coffee??

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Tonyjenlasc, Feb 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tonyjenlasc

Tonyjenlasc Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New Jersey

If you get an infected bottle, is it fair to give a poor rating? Personally, I think if you got an infected bottle you shouldn't give it a rate as it is not a true representation of the beer. But that's just me. I wasn't able to get coffee this year but I did get barleywine.....I was lucky enough to not get an infected bottle and it was amazing.

Just wanted to get peoples thoughts on this subject. Thanks for your input.

fredmugs and mctizzz like this.
  2. NeroFiddled

NeroFiddled Poo-Bah (11,733) Jul 8, 2002 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

If you're aware that there were infected bottles and you think you got one, then of course you shouldn't rate it.

3. monkeybeerbelly

monkeybeerbelly Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2012 New York

Just dont rate it. end thread

WalkerHater, frekky, mctizzz and 4 others like this.
  4. 1000lbgrizzly

1000lbgrizzly Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Illinois

Just like any other infected beer, don't rate it. It sucks if you only got one bottle and will have to trade or wait a year to get that one extra tick, and it's fair to be angry about it, but we all know it's the right thing to do, for your own records and for the brewer.

For those that will review it anyway: please mention that it was infected so the rest of us can disregard your erroneous and unfair review and know that you are prone to rate any beer regardless of circumstances, like serving temp, oxidation/skunkiness, your personal bias, etc.

mctizzz likes this.
  5. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

From the review guidelines on this very site:

Don't Review Bad Beers
    Not a beer that you simply don't like, but rather a beer you know to be spoiled due to reasons outside of the brewer's control. If you come across a beer like this, alert whoever you purchased it from and send a note to the brewer. Using a review to bitch about it won't help anyone.​

While I know there are plenty of people who would argue until they were blue in the face about that "outside the brewer's control" portion, the reality is that infections are not always capable of being caught before the bottles go out to market. In such cases, it is on the brewer to announce this fact as soon as they discover it and make amends to the best of their ability--see: Goose Island's handling of the issues with BCBBW and BCBCS.

If you want to warn other people, do it somewhere that it might actually do some good--in a thread about it. Not buried in some isolated beer review that many people will not ever see.

And for those that insist on reviewing a beer that you know is spoiled, how about a compromise: if you review a beer that you know to be infected, don't go looking for a refund for that bottle. If you're going to eschew the brewer's attempts to correct the problem when you write your review, you don't get to suddenly have a change of heart when there's money involved.

6. F2brewers

F2brewers Champion (807) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Cleaned up and locked this thread.

The post from @LambicPentameter says it all.

Don't do it.

If you come across a review like this, report it so we can remove it.

Users who ignore the reviewing rules are subject to restrictions on and/or termination of their account.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.