Rating to Style on Low-Calorie Beers

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by mambossa, Mar 27, 2020.

1. mambossa

mambossa Devotee (409) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

There’s definitely been mixed reviews on pretty much all of the low-cal beers. I feel a lot of people are rating on the basis that they will have the same feel and texture as a regular IPA. The other half understand that body, mouthfeel, and depth aren’t exactly easily achievable with such a low ABV and especially a low calorie count.

With this being such a new style of beer, it’s interesting to read all the reviews and insights. There’s no real “benchmark” yet.

There has always been a perpetual conversation on rating to style, especially with more casual formats like Untappd, with the usual unfortunate suspects like pale lagers, ambers, browns, alts, kolschs.

What is y’all’s take on the rating-to-style on the new trend of low-cal IPAs?

dukeandduke, hottenot and FBarber like this.
  2. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,078) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Light Hearted and Youza! are my favourites so far but I feel that brewers can do better than them. How's aboot having somewhat of a malt profile and still keeping them lo-cal? Is that not a realistic expectation?

hottenot, steveh and beertunes like this.
  3. mambossa

mambossa Devotee (409) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

by nature of adding more malt, you are adding more calories, alcohol and carbohydrates. Seems like that is the challenge. Tweaking processes and adding certain ingredients to give more heft (or even the impression of heft) to it.

4. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,828) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I rate them for what they are, not going to ding them for lack of malt. I pretty much rate them against each other if that makes sense. I know it is skewed, but I would probably enjoy an ipa rated 4 than a low cal ipa rated 4, but I may be abusing the ratings by doing this. This is probably an instance where it would help to have another category, but then again that probably won't fly.

5. milkshakebeersucks

milkshakebeersucks Initiate (73) Feb 10, 2020

Without leaving this site, there are only two beers if you enter 'low cal ipa' in the search engine. How do you identify them if you want to seek them out or avoid them? Yes, I know it can be googled (found Allagash River Trip and Lagunitas Day Time that way), but with the intent to read reviews of low cal beers on BA, where would one look?

dukeandduke and hottenot like this.
  6. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Devotee (489) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

I've tried a few, and they were better than I would have thought.
    I feel I have to rate any beer according to style.
    Low cal IPA is a new style I think?
    That being said, I'll probably avoid them as I'd much rather have a regular IPA.
    The malt profile is important to any beer.

hottenot, Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  7. mushroomcloud

mushroomcloud Poo-Bah (2,040) Mar 4, 2005 Texas
    Society

3.71 on Light Hearted Ale while reminding myself I'm rating a low calorie attempt at an IPA.
    I'm impressed by what they created.

dukeandduke, hottenot and Bitterbill like this.
  8. hottenot

hottenot Aspirant (299) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Why not simply drink less?
    Wait a second..
    As I was saying, there are a lot of good light lagers.
    Why not try one?

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  9. Peach63

Peach63 Disciple (365) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

Rated Saranac 100 Series IPA 3.79. I thought it is a pretty decent attempt at a low cal IPA. Was it to style? Debatable.

dukeandduke and hottenot like this.
  10. StoutOne

StoutOne Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2009 New York

I think all beers should be rated to style. It may not be your bag, but that doesn’t mean it should get below a 4 just because it is lower ABV or more subtle in flavor. If it is a great version of that style of beer, then a commensurate rating applies. You see this with Lagers as well.