Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Recent Colorado Beer Gems

Discussion in 'Mountain' started by denver10, May 19, 2013.

1. denver10

It feels like there are a number of new releases coming out from Colorado breweries, both in bottles and on tap. Perhaps this could be a way of giving folks a heads up on some of the more noteworthy discoveries to help folks (especially out of towners) an idea of what to be on the lookout for.

Grimm Brothers - available on tap only - just released Willow's Wren, a 3.9% abv session ale they identify as a erntebier. If you ever wondered what a stout or porter would taste like with all the dark, roasty flavors but presented in a light, crisp, not rich, sessionable format this is your answer. I really dug this, probably my favorite beer that I have yet to try from these guys.

Equinox - available on tap only - has on tap in their taproom Son of Space Ghost, a session APA at 4.5%. Probably my favorite hoppy beer I have tried from these guys, packs some nice flavor for the low abv. In the season of sessions, this one can stand up with the rest of the field quite well. Added bonus, they got their Mr. D's Oatmeal Stout back on tap, which I still believe is Colorado's best oatmeal stout and right up there with my overall favorites of the style.

Telluride Brewing - available in cans and tap - finally got around to checking out their Face Down Brown Ale and thought it was pretty awesome. I still haven't got around to checking out the Upslope Brown but I do believe this has unseated Ellie's Brown Ale for my favorite Colorado brown ale. Gonna have to give their other stuff a chance now.

Funkwerks - available in bottles and tap - their spring release, Solenna, a belgian styled amber with brett. I haven't heard or seen anything about others really digging this beer but I personally think its great. Maybe not the fanciest or most complex beer, especially for it being a brett beer, but something I just enjoy drinking.

2. Prospero

Beer Trader

Strange - Dr. Strangelove - bottled and available at tap room, 1000 bottle batch, american barleywine, GABF bronze I think last year.

3. chicano4craft

I'm a big fan of Space Ghost so the Son of sounds awesome. Hope to get a growler soon.

4. Mebuzzard

Miabocks:
    Grimm has their Maiden's....something out in bottles. Backcountry has their May-bock out...not sure about bottles.
    Prost's maibock is on tap. So is Strange's

5. Oxymoron

6. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

On the topic of Grimm Brothers, they also have a full-on amazing Weizenbock called "Weihnachts Bier" (Christmas Beer) that is still regularly on tap. Bottles of it are also available in a few places including their tasting room, too.
    IMO, it's the best American weizenbock I've had since Avery 13, and maybe even better. Aventinus dwarfs most other weizenbocks, but not this one!

7. denver10

I've tied that Maiden's Kiss a few times now and really digging it.

8. Prospero

Beer Trader

While not in bottles, Prost's Maibock is simply stunning, you can find growlers in stores and at the brewery though.

alexipa, dauss and Mebuzzard like this.
  9. DenverBeerDrinker

Beer Trader

And Monday's is 2 for 1 growlers

10. Mebuzzard

Just had their Alt. Goooooood

11. denver10

I'll be on the lookout for it.

12. denver10

Denver Beer Company - Incredible Pedal IPA.....one of the best IPA's from Colorado, IMO. If you like nelson sauvin hops, this is a must try.

13. StubFaceJoe

Fate Brewing in Boulder. IPA. Super citrusy. Not very bitter but I'm into that. Great sweet malt background. Super Crushable. I could have drank 25 in a row. EXCELLENT food to go with it! Glad I tried the place out.

poopinmybutt likes this.
  14. southdenverhoo

they're pouring it at the new chain/franchise taphouse in Glendale, World of Beer...also the pils

denver10 likes this.
  15. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

While I was a skeptic of World of Beer - they have a full-on TON of locals only taps. Last week 38 of their 50 taps were Denver-area small breweries like Strange, TRVE, River North, Caution, etc.
    That's actually a hell of a place to sample Denver's local beer scene in one room.

16. Prospero

Beer Trader

That's awesome, when I went during the soft opening it was like 6 out of 50.

I do find it funny that the "World" of beer is now trending CO beers :)

17. southdenverhoo

The number has gone back down a bit, it was a function of them having a "nano tap takeover" or something. I must've been there the day Domingo was; counting all Colorado beers instead of just Denver-area small breweries I think I got 46 out of 50.This past Sunday the number was down but they had had some sort of Dogfish Head special and there were, like, 6-8 DFH beers on. But among the Colorado beers still on, and I think its been on all 3 times I've been there so maybe it's more of a "regular", is the Prost Maibock.

I too am skeptical about chain-type operations but so far I have no complaints whatsoever about this place, which is practically on top of my gym (Cherry Creek Athletic Club) and therefore perfect for after work-out/after pool-lounging beers on Saturday and Sunday.

Place hasn't really caught on yet; if I had put that much money into a new joint I'd be getting a little nervous. They seem to feel they won't really start doing big numbers until the restaurant storefronts in that development start to open & the Marriott starts to really book (Hilton has obviously been there long enough to be pretty full.)

18. Hojaminbag

Beer Trader

I will second (or third or fourth) the recommendations for Prost Maibock and the DBC Incredible Pedal IPA.

19. denver10

Son of Space Ghost isn't on tap there anymore (though Mayor of Old Town currently has it), but Space Ghost is ...still have yet to try that one myself, gotta remedy that.

They also have a really nice milk stout going right now, nice dark roasty flavors paired with the lactose sugars. Really enjoyable if that is your thing. It is mine.

Oxymoron likes this.
  20. denver10

Haven't actually tried it yet, but can only imagine I will love it so gonna post the update here that Funkwerks just released a saison hopped with galaxy hops today....on tap and in bottles only in their taproom.

Also, Equinox has a galaxy ipa on tap right now (or as recently as Sunday) that was damn tasty. Went hoping to finally try the Space Ghost IPA, but it was not on tap at the time and tried the galaxy one instead. No complaints from me as I thought it was great. Easily my favorite hoppy beer from those guys.

21. SalukiAlum

Space Ghost is amazing!!

22. Youngtubbz

Beer Trader

False Summit from Elevation - a BBA Quad. Very, Very good. I haven't had many BBA Quads but this one I enjoyed. I'm starting to love everything Elevation does.

denver10 likes this.
  23. ElevationBeer

Youngtubbz we are starting to love everything you do too...

Cheers.

The Elevation Team

Youngtubbz likes this.
  24. beatenbyjacks

Beer Trader

has the service gotten any better? beer there twice and while I work close by, the extremely slow service killed me.

25. Domingo

Subscriber Beer Trader

Granted we went on a Wednesday afternoon, but service was great. The waitress knew her stuff, made good recommendations and was even bringing out samples with her before we were ready for the next round.
    I have no idea how representative that is of their normal business, but I was impressed.
    To me the only caveat of the place is where it's located. If I'm in that area, it's pretty hard for me not to go to the Bull & Bush instead.

26. LoganStegman

Beer Trader

Coming from Florida I can promise you guys that WOB (as us regulars call it) is not just a normal chain/franchise. These are pretty prominent in the central Florida area and was my local watering hole. They have a loyalty program that is pretty sweet and tracks every beer youve ever tried there, and it has perks (including a 250 dollar bar tab when you reach 500 different beers), I'm at 418 so that tells you how much I frequented this place! I know it hasn't taken off here, and may be overshadowed by the great beer scene that Colorado has to offer... But the taps are always rotating and the local one here has done a good Job displaying the great beers that you can find locally. If you haven't been, give it a shot! There opening another one in belmar soon too!

27. poonamibaxter

Beer Trader

Went to Great Divide and noticed this yesterday
    [​IMG]

They will apply your AHA discount of 20% to kegs also. So I can get a 5 gallon keg of Choc Yeti at the house for $52 plus tax which makes my cost per 12 oz glass about a buck. If that isn't a gem then I don't know what is.

28. denver10

Just got back from the bar where I tried Grimm Brother's Kleine Elsa Kolsch.....definitely recommended. I am a newbie to the style, only tried a few so far, but this one was leagues above any other Kolsch I had tried.

On the topic of Grimm Brothers, their Snow Drop has recently hit the bars on nitro tap......also highly recommended. Wasn't really too into when I tried it on CO2, but in nitro tap, I think they have discovered a gem. Maybe the best summertime specific nitro option that I have tried, personally.

29. BeerSlingerMike

Just a heads up the Epic Beers will be released around Denver and surrounding areas the week of July 22nd. Quite the exciting lineup coming out the first week.

denver10 and Prospero like this.
  30. Prospero

Beer Trader

Maybe some of this?

denver10 likes this.
  31. denver10

Epic can be hit and miss with me, but interested in checking this fruity marijuana concoction out.

32. Oxymoron

I know that Berthoud is not on many beer maps out there, but if you have a chance stop by City Star Brewing. They have a DIPA called Dead or Alive that is solid.

33. schlegelmeister

Fate's Gose and OZO Coffee Kolsch are out-of-this-world good.

34. denver10

Equinox recently released Truffle Shuffle Porter.... a rich chocolate truffle porter with a welcomed slightly bitter roasty finish. Its awesome and highly, highly, highly recommended if that sounds like your thing. One of the best constructed beers these guys have put out. If you are in the Fort Collins area, give it a try.

SalukiAlum likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe