Recieved my online Hi-Wire shipment.

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hottenot, Mar 24, 2020.

1. hottenot

hottenot Disciple (336) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Yep got it today.
    Disappointed in the packaging.
    One of my 10W-40 Imperial Stouts had a leak.
    So naturally, I drank it first. Not worried especially about it leaking and me drinking.
    It is a Stout and not cheap.
    Single wall cardboard with about 1 square foot of bubble wrap.
    I don't know how beer is usually shipped but this is my last go.
    With Hi-Wire online.
    Will still buy in the store.
    Anyone else have a similar experience with online beer?

AZBeerDude72, dcotom and PapaGoose03 like this.
  2. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,397) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

A couple of years ago, I was trying to track down a Roggenbier. I finally found one at Keg N Bottle in San Diego. The shipping and handling charge was more than three times the price of the beer, but I knew that going in. No complaints otherwise. Shipping was very timely and the product was packaged securely. Almost makes me wish they sold Westy. Almost. :wink:

hottenot, FBarber and PapaGoose03 like this.
  3. Lorddevn

Lorddevn Initiate (45) Mar 10, 2019 Wisconsin
    Trader

Tavour does a good job packing and shipping. They usually use thick cardboard separators which I will usually reuse when u ship. Once they had a few of my bottles exploded due to the unexpected cold they experienced last year, replaced my bottles and sent it out.

4. baklo

baklo Savant (924) Oct 10, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Yikes on your first online shipment experience with Hi-Wire. Sorry that happened to you--that sucks. You probably know this, but they just got their online ordering off the ground... catalyzed by the coronavirus. I bet they'd make it right if you let them know (if you haven't already). And, hopefully beyond just getting you square, they'll make any necessary improvements to their packing materials and process.

And, to speak to your question, can't say I've had a similar experience with online beer, thankfully, as those that I've ordered from used the form fitting (to fit bottle/can shapes), paper based packing materials along with good foam or bubble wrap packing. I was local so never needed to get anything shipped, but Bruisin' Ales did an excellent job while they were open and shipping.

Not beer, but just received 2 IPA glasses from Dogfish Head that were packaged insanely well... probably could've dropped the box off a 3 story building and the glasses would've been fine. So there are folks out there that know how to do it. Doesn't take a lot of jostling to damage some cans or bottles so meticulous, bulletproof packing is a must and table stakes for online beer sales/fulfillment!

Hope the leaky 10W-40 was alright for you. I like that one. :grin:

Bitterbill and hottenot like this.
  5. Miles_in_beer_city

Miles_in_beer_city Devotee (411) Jun 18, 2014 North Carolina
    Society

Please keep in mind that shipping is not the normal distribution method of breweries, who are doing everything they can to keep the lights on and the employee's paid.

hottenot and baklo like this.
  6. hottenot

Society

OK, I contacted Hi-Wire and complained about the packaging and ranted too much for my own good.
    Javier Bolea from Hi-Wire contacted me and apologized for the packaging and is sending me another 4 pack of 10W40 Chocolate Macaroon!
    They made good. And now have a very loyal customer.
    Recommended if you live close enough to order on line.
    Very excellent Imperial Stout.

Miles_in_beer_city, baklo and VABA like this.
  7. hottenot

Society

I didn't get sick, at least not till morning Ha Ha!

baklo likes this.
  8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,946) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

The rule for people who send beer is you can't overpack. After having to make good on your botched order, and likely others, I am certain it is Hi-Wire's rule now too.

Bitterbill, hottenot and baklo like this.
  9. baklo

baklo Savant (924) Oct 10, 2012 North Carolina
    Society

Nice! So glad to hear that!

hottenot likes this.