recipes including a scotch ale

Discussion in 'Beer & Food' started by bifrost17, Feb 27, 2013.

1. bifrost17

bifrost17 Dec 16, 2011 Washington

I've got a can of Sun King Wee Mac hanging around my fridge that I really don't think I'm going to drink, not a huge fan of the style, and I've had the beer for like 6 months. So I'm wondering if anyone has any recipes that call for a scotch ale, thanks!

2. bpgpitt10

bpgpitt10 May 12, 2008 District of Columbia

I did some braised lamb shanks with scotch ale, mint, and mustard that turned out awesome. The mint just adds depth (does NOT taste minty) and the mustard adds acidity. If you aren't a huge fan of the style, I would just say braise something with it because it'll mute some of the really identifiable flavors that you probably don't love.

Andygirl and bifrost17 like this.
  3. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

bifrost17 likes this.
  4. PetitChouffe

PetitChouffe Sep 28, 2009 Washington

Bierlerner likes this.
  5. smakawhat

smakawhat Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Subscriber

I can't think of a recipe off hand, but I can without a doubt say that Wee Heavy and ham is just a killer pairing.

Bierlerner likes this.
  6. Bierlerner

Bierlerner Aug 17, 2010 Oklahoma

PetitChouffe likes this.
  7. JohnGalt1

JohnGalt1 Aug 10, 2005 Idaho
    Beer Trader

This is what I was going to say almost word for word.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • Free Trial Subscription

Reside in the US? Interested in a free 1-month trial subscription to the print edition of BeerAdvocate magazine?

Yes! Sign Me Up!