Recommend perfectly balanced stouts for me

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by MCImes, Feb 19, 2013.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MCImes

MCImes Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2010 Connecticut

Recently I've drank 2 stouts that make me pause for a moment. They were Hel & Verdomenis (by de Molen) and the classic Samuel Smith Imperial Stout (really not much of an "imperial" by American standards at only 7% abv, but extremely good none the less)

What I liked so much about these is their balance and smoothness. So many of the American imperials are so bitter and so over the top malty that I have a hard time wanting more than 1 in a night. With Hel and SS, I could drink a case. They're not too bitter, not too sweet, not too malty...just...perfect. I really like the medium-heavy mouth feel, mild sweetness, not over-the-top hops, not ridiculously dark malt...

With that in mind, what are some other stouts that have that perfect balance?

(I still love all the over the top stouts like founders IS, KBS, black note, central waters and the like but Im looking for something different at the moment)

2. MammaGoose

MammaGoose Initiate (0) Jan 10, 2013 Wyoming

I recently got the chance to try Yeti and the Oak aged espresso seasonal Yeti on tap at Great Divide Brewery in Denver. I like stouts quite a bit, but I wouldn't say it's my style of choice. But I LOVED Yeti. It was everything a stout should be, in my opinion. Chocolatey, roasty, malty, viscous, and well, stout. Both were Imperial stouts, but they were both very balanced, in my opinion. Very drinkable.

legend8706 likes this.
  3. jnoble

jnoble Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 Washington

Looked on seekabrew and saw that you should get Deschutes in your area...Deschutes Obsidian Stout is one of my go to stouts. I find it to be good for 2 or more servings in a night without being too much. IMO, it is well balanced and could be what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Edit: the only thing you won't get is that heavy mouthfeel.

4. Dtapeski

Dtapeski Crusader (407) Oct 26, 2012 Colorado

I'm a huge fan of Old Rasputin (RIS) from North Coast and it looks like they distribute to MN.

jnoble and Thickfreakness like this.
  5. BetterBeerPlz

BetterBeerPlz Initiate (0) Sep 8, 2007 Arkansas

Schlafly Irish-Style Extra Stout. Very drinkable and balanced extra stout.

Chaney likes this.
  6. Ataraxia

Ataraxia Zealot (562) Sep 20, 2012 California
    Trader

If you want a milder imperial stout, you can drop the imperial part and see where that leads you.

7. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Plead The 5th.

smonice and Providence like this.
  8. blackcompg

blackcompg Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2011 Illinois

Try Southern Tier 2X Stout, and Left Hand Nitro/Milk Stout - these are both milk stouts, but each also has a nice balancing sweetness, not over the top at all, and very smooth - they both have a pretty wide distro, hope you can find these local to you. If you like a little sweeter and creamy mouthfeel Youngs Dbl Chocolate Stout is a pretty nice one too, and easy to find. Happy hunting - Cheers!

9. tectactoe

tectactoe Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

New Holland The Poet for a lighter, balanced oatmeal stout. Courage RIS is heavy and robust, but very well balanced between sweet/roasty/bitter IMO.

looseteeth and RobertColianni like this.
  10. leedorham

leedorham Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2006 Washington

Balance is not a defining characteristic in a perfect stout. The best stouts in the world all kick your palate's ass in one way or another, and that's by design.

11. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Georgia

Courage
    Disputin

12. coreyfmcdonald

coreyfmcdonald Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2008 Georgia

I'm going to have to disagree with you.

13. airforbes1

airforbes1 Initiate (0) Oct 27, 2010 California

Anderson Valley Barney Flats Stout to me is smooth, creamy, slightly chocolatey, and comes in at only 5.7%. Flavorful but balanced, in my opinion.

Willbfun, PORTerCITY and jgluck like this.
  14. Beefytits4

Beefytits4 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2011 Illinois

Old Rasputin is a little on the Hoppy side but sooo damn good. Sierra Nevada Stout is very well balanced and you can drink them all night.

15. HaidaSaint

HaidaSaint Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2013 Washington

if you like SS imperial maybe give the oatmeal stout a shot its one of my go to stouts i can never get enough of it
    BA SCORE
    exceptional
    -
    3,400 Ratings THE BROS
    world-class
    -
    read more » rAvg: 4.24
    pDev: 11.56%
    Reviews: 1976
    Hads: 1424

Ratings Help

thats not so bad by comparison to imperial higher on BA and 4 shy on the BROS

fox227 likes this.
  16. TapeDeck

TapeDeck Initiate (0) Mar 31, 2011 Illinois

I generally like--prefer the "you only really want 1" type of big beers. Even if I'm going to have more than 1.

If Central Waters Imp stouts are more intense than what you want, I think you may just not be wanting imperial stouts at those times when you want to knock a few back. Nothing wrong with that. Maybe swing over to porters?

17. bilboTbaggins

bilboTbaggins Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2013 Wisconsin

ten fiddy, expedition. Perfectly balanced?, well i really can't say. Too many to say what is really balanced correctly

18. Number45forever

Number45forever Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2012 Vermont

Not that this is easily attainable, but balance in a big stout leads you to one place:

Kate the Great

Of the widely available ones, I recommend the Yeti series.

seplo and ShogoKawada like this.
  19. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Savant (1,147) Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Yeah I agree thats why the thread title threw me off a bit.

20. Spaten454

Spaten454 Savant (1,162) Aug 23, 2012 Texas
    Trader

Founders Imperial Stout. Just all around a perfect stout.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.