Recommendations Chile 2020

Discussion in 'South America' started by eldoctorador, Dec 16, 2019.

1. eldoctorador

eldoctorador Defender (675) Dec 12, 2014 Chile

Hi everybody,

I just moved back to Chile after almost 10 years in the US. While there are timid signs of progress, needless to say craft beer here is still in its infancy. Last weekend I went to breweries Spoh, Mossto, and bars Pepperland and Rubik. I liked the bars (~20 taps) and the breweries were OK (Mossto) to good (Spoh), although they didn't have much variety. Any other recommendation?

We can use this thread for anything else Chile and beer related (please no politics, we have enough of that).

2. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,167) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Where do you live in Chile? I don't have any knowledge of the beer scene but I'm planning to visit in 2020 and am also curious about what's around. We are planning to visit the south with the trip focused around valdivia

eldoctorador likes this.
  3. eldoctorador

I live in Santiago, but have had some experience with breweries in Valdivia say 10 years ago (?). Overall, Valdivia seems to be one of the better cities in Chile beer-wise. Beers tend to follow the German and English tradition over there, although that might have changed since then. I haven't found many IPAs nor Imperial Stouts here in Chile and I'm pretty sure that will be the case in Valdivia too.

There's a brewery in Valdivia named Cuello Negro that makes a Foreign Stout (8%) that's super tasty, you should try that.

I'm curious to know your thoughts when you do visit, so feel free to post about your experience.

Cheers

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  4. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (6,458) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

I am headed your way next week - I posted our planned trip about in this thread
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/trip-to-chile-and-argentina.623242/

Do you know if the Cuello Negro beer would be available in other cities in the Lake District, or just Valdivia?

5. jmdrpi

Society

Just had a glass tonight at a craft beer and burger bar called On Tap that just so happened to be around the corner from our hotel in Santiago. Pretty darn good. Thanks for the heads up!

eldoctorador likes this.
  6. eldoctorador

That's great to hear! Sorry I didn't reply earlier, I just came back from vacation.

In case you're still in Chile, a brewery that I have found is great all around is Luptopia. You should give them a try if you have the occasion.

7. Noelito76

Noelito76 Champion (809) Oct 30, 2004 New York
    Trader

In Santiago you can find lots of offerings from Kunstmann and Kross. You should be good.

eldoctorador likes this.
  8. eldoctorador

I'll make a point to visit both Kross and Kunstmann brewpubs. I hate Kunstmann Torobayo with a passion though :stuck_out_tongue:

Noelito76 likes this.
  9. eldoctorador

This is probably a long shot, any of you know where to find Bourbon County (or KBS, CBS) in Santiago? (if at all possible)

10. Noelito76

Noelito76 Champion (809) Oct 30, 2004 New York
    Trader

It's a huge longshot but did you try Beervana in Providencia? They had a number of American craft brews when I went. At the time those beers were harder to get but now, who knows.

eldoctorador likes this.
  11. eldoctorador

Thanks. Yeah, I went to Beervana. They didn't have any Fouders nor Goose Island. They said they didn't work with AB InBev and Mahou. I did find CBS (although it was 2018 and not tasting that great) at Rubik Bar (Barrio Italia) though. It wasn't super expensive (~8 dollars the bottle).

12. jmdrpi

Society

Just not your style? I had a bottle at a restaurant in Villarrica and thought it was pretty good.

In that area I had a few other good beers
    [​IMG]

Redrover and eldoctorador like this.
  13. eldoctorador

Ohh, Gran Torobayo is good, but I would prefer to drink Bud Light instead of regular Torobayo given the option. It's way too sweet (a problem in general with Chilean craft beers, don't you think?), it needs more hops or higher alcohol (as Gran Torobayo) to balance the sweetness IMO.

It's great that you are in the Villarrica area, that's where my parent live. Very beautiful area with lots to do: beach, hiking, hot springs, rafting, climbing the volcano, and apparently beer now :stuck_out_tongue:. Hope you enjoy, and if you have time it would be great to read your reviews on chilean beers.