Red Wings Game on Saturday in Detroit

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by Hesscabob, Nov 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hesscabob

Hesscabob Initiate (0) Mar 16, 2014 Illinois

Hey Everybody, long time diehard of the Red Wings and finally going to a game on Saturday night vs. the dreadful Preds.

Headed up with a buddy from Chicago and have Bells planned as a half way point but am looking for more options near downtown Detroit/ by the arena/ nearby.

Looking for suggestions of recommended beer bars, local breweries, events; etc. Sorry if there is a thread about this but just trying to get a feel for downtown Detroit.

Thanks in advance, ching ching!

2. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

As far breweries in Detroit, my top two are Batch and Jolly Pumpkin. Batch is a fairly new nano with great beer. Recently started doing some 40oz growlers I believe. Jolly Pumpkin needs no introduction; depends if sours are your thing but also full lineup of North Peak if not. I really like the Detroit location, great service and food. There's Atwater, Detroit Beer Co. and Motor City Brewing too but I'd definitely hit the first two.

Hesscabob likes this.
  3. CityFarmer

CityFarmer Initiate (171) Mar 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

I've never been to a tap room in Detroit, or Michigan for that matter....but down the street from old tiger stadium is Slow's BBQ. Always great beer options and Great food. Get the yardbird and Mac and cheese

rooskey379, Hesscabob and htm like this.
  4. Hesscabob

I will absolutely get the yardbird and Mac & Cheese ryanwbrodie, love me some BBQ at different spots in different states.

3DMan - Thank you for your suggestions: Why I love BA, needed to be reminded Jolly Pumpkin is there... Now I may miss the game due to excessive sour consumption, much appreciated!

5. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Defender (634) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Might want to check out hopcat in detroit. They just had their 120 dark horse beer tap takeover. Worth checking out if they still have Bbpt5 on draft.

Hesscabob likes this.
  6. mcomben

mcomben Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

Beer list hasn't been updated since Saturday but Grand Trunk has a pretty decent line-up going right now. Bar has a little history too and its right on Woodward not all that far from the arena.

Hesscabob likes this.
  7. Namaste108

Namaste108 Initiate (166) Sep 14, 2010 Michigan

I would stick around Corktown. For food besides Slows....Mercury Burger Bar, Mudgies Deli, St Cece's and Gold Cash Gold are all solid options. As far as breweries go, check out Brew Detroit and then Batch Brewing a street over. Take Uber from Batch to the Joe and back. Wont have to deal with shitty traffic outside JLA post -game. You can leave your car in the lot at Batch which has a security guard.

Tripel_Threat likes this.
  8. gratefulbeerhead

gratefulbeerhead Zealot (578) Dec 7, 2009 Indiana

Glad you are getting to a game for the last season at the Joe! Best choices and not too far from the Joe are Slows and Grand Trunk, both less than 2 miles. Hop Cat is another really great choice about 3.5 miles away. I usually hit Grand Trunk when in town for Wings games. Also stopped at Traffic Jam and Snug a couple of times before games which is also about 3.5 miles away from the Joe. Go Wings!

Hesscabob likes this.
  9. nicholasofcusa

nicholasofcusa Initiate (198) Jan 14, 2006 Florida

The Red Wings will be playing there next year too. The new arena isn't scheduled to open until 2017. I'm not at all into hockey but used to live in Detroit and only learned about the new building plans through this thread, which caused me to do some additional reading.

Hesscabob likes this.
  10. Hesscabob

For some reason a year or so ago, I saw the initial plans for the new stadium to be completed in 2016, which until recently I discovered is a LIE! Oh, well, no time like the present. Long over due to see a game there in Hockeytown anyway.

Thank you everybody for the suggestions, this is a solid list so far

11. jsrose16

jsrose16 Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2014 Illinois

Kuhnhenn is about 20-30 min north in Warren and they are kicking ass in the Michigan craft game. I'd certainly recommend them.

12. Hesscabob

Ended up going to Batch Brewing, Grand Trunk Pub and Jolly Pumpkin - Overall had an awesome time in Detroit... besides the cabs that pretend to not know where they are going so they can charge $20 for a 3 minute cab ride... oh well, newb mistake. Wish I brought more JP home, they're the bomb!

3DMan likes this.
  13. mcomben

mcomben Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2008 Michigan

Sounds like a pretty great beer tour of the city...Great game to be at too.

14. Hesscabob

It was unbelievable! 3v3 Hockey is the best thing to happen to sports in a long while

mcomben and MIbeer27 like this.
  15. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

I always drop at least 50 bucks at Jolly Pumpkin. So hard not to.

Hesscabob likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.