Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Refractometer Care and Feeding

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by HerbMeowing, Feb 23, 2012.

1. HerbMeowing

Subscriber

Can the business end be dipped in the wort or is dripping drops the more better method?

Can the business end be put under a water faucet for rinsing or is damp wiping more better?

2. ClusterFunk

FWIW The Northern Brewer gents on BrewingTV generally pour a healthy dose of wort with a spoon over the business end in several of their episodes. I figure if they sell the devices they might have some good knowledge of their useability. I've done the same as well as rinsing that end under the faucet with no issues noted so far. Might depend on the specific refractometer though...

3. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Personally I wouldn't recommend it. The refractometers I've seen look like they have been constructed to get the job done at least cost, and IIRC the instructions are pretty specific about Not immersing.

4. StarRaptor

Does anyone know where I could get a replacement glass flap for one? I'm getting one for free from a fellow brewer that works minus the flap

5. HerbMeowing

Subscriber

My meter is definitely low-cost.

I don't dunk but it would sure would be easier.
    Thought I'd ask before doing something I'd later regret.

6. Longstaff

I just use a medicine dropper to put wort on the glass.

7. Wolfsdenbrew

I use a dropper to put a few drops of wort on it, but I do run the end under the faucet to rinse it off. I have been doing this with the same refractometer for over 7years.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe