Refrigerating an IPA

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by alysmith4, Mar 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alysmith4

alysmith4 Initiate (0) Feb 11, 2005 District of Columbia

Quick question: if you refrigerate an IPA (or something that generally degrades quickly), does it stay "fresh?"

I see a lot of people talk about certain beers (Pliny, Hopslam, Wings, Heady, Jai Alai, etc.) not tasting well after a couple of weeks/months, and I'm wondering why they just don't keep them cold until they can be enjoyed. (Semi-related: I traded some Wings recently, and kept it in the 'frige until I could send it - just in case.)

2. GFG

GFG Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2012 North Dakota

I've never really had a problem with keeping IPA's in my fridge. Granted my fridge is cold as hell. It literally turns Coors Light into a slushy.

alysmith4 likes this.
  3. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Aspirant (270) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Light is usually the bigger factor for causing hop fade and skunking. Aside from that, cold does keep things fresher because it slows chemical reactions.

alysmith4 likes this.
  4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew Initiate (0) May 8, 2006 Michigan

Refrigeration is the optimal environment for conserving beer but it will not work indefinitely. Keep it cold while before you get to it but do get to it sooner than later.

jesskidden and alysmith4 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.