Refrigerating an IPA

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by alysmith4, Mar 30, 2013.

1. alysmith4

alysmith4 Feb 11, 2005 District of Columbia

Quick question: if you refrigerate an IPA (or something that generally degrades quickly), does it stay "fresh?"

I see a lot of people talk about certain beers (Pliny, Hopslam, Wings, Heady, Jai Alai, etc.) not tasting well after a couple of weeks/months, and I'm wondering why they just don't keep them cold until they can be enjoyed. (Semi-related: I traded some Wings recently, and kept it in the 'frige until I could send it - just in case.)

2. GFG

GFG Oct 24, 2012 North Dakota

I've never really had a problem with keeping IPA's in my fridge. Granted my fridge is cold as hell. It literally turns Coors Light into a slushy.

alysmith4 likes this.
  3. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Light is usually the bigger factor for causing hop fade and skunking. Aside from that, cold does keep things fresher because it slows chemical reactions.

alysmith4 likes this.
  4. kzoobrew

kzoobrew May 8, 2006 Michigan

Refrigeration is the optimal environment for conserving beer but it will not work indefinitely. Keep it cold while before you get to it but do get to it sooner than later.

jesskidden and alysmith4 like this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe