Refunds for 2015 Regular BCBS and 2015 Prop

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by GatorLCA, Apr 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klicky

Klicky Initiate (0) Oct 19, 2014 Illinois

Based on Untappd reviews it's about 1-2% are infected if that. Just take a look at the last 100-200 reviews. This is a good gauge to see how widespread it is. All things manufactured have a small percentage of failure, that's a fact. Now may be a good time to get great trade deal on some BCBS 15.

2. rrock44

rrock44 Maven (1,481) Oct 27, 2009 Washington

Well, I broke. I only drink these on special occasions, but this darn thread started messing with me. The mind is a funny thing. Kept saying mine are fine, but then there were the whispers...what if... Anyway, at first I was upset (because it is drinking just fine, bourbon on the nose a little muted) for being weak and cracking one open, but now that I am on my last couple swallows, it is cool. Thanks OP for making me paranoid and making April 14th a special occasion. I do feel a little bad for Florida BAers, though.

[​IMG]

bbtkd, Thecalmdrinker, R3ason and 2 others like this.
  3. carrionricardo

carrionricardo Initiate (0) May 10, 2013 California
    Trader

Just checked mine. Luckily the two cases I bought were full unopened boxes one is sept22 the other oct15. Oct15 drinking phenomenal. I might be alright. Had another case that's gone now that I got from mixed locations. All were good or had not begun to change!!!!

4. cavedave

cavedave Grand Pooh-Bah (4,083) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Well, I guess I don't worry about the numerical because I ignore any rating that doesn't have a good review. To me number ratings are a waste of time both to read and to put in the data bank.

5. tbryant21

tbryant21 Initiate (0) Sep 12, 2015 North Carolina

I have a more than a slight concern that the 2015 BCBS infection is not isolated to FL distribution. Purchased bottles in Virginia and based on the bottle we drank last night, infection is starting to rear it's ugly head. The finish had a slight sourness and metallic taste to it. Bottle info: 01OCT15 0938 13.7%.

The bottles are temperature controlled, so am hoping the taste was just a figment of my imagination.

6. jrnyc

jrnyc Pooh-Bah (2,916) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Is anyone who is familiar with the bottling and distribution process know if it is even feasible that only one area (Florida) could have infected bottles?

chrismann65 and SomethingClever like this.
  7. nmyers462000

nmyers462000 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Florida

Well I think its pretty clear that all of us have reported the same bottling date, so that would be the common tie. It's not like GI produces and bottles this stuff in more than one place.

TomClem likes this.
  8. nmyers462000

nmyers462000 Initiate (0) Oct 1, 2013 Florida

#248 nmyers462000, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
    nsheehan, SFACRKnight and maximum12 like this.
  9. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Maven (1,282) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

My guess is that the first couple dozen people or more who reported coffee and barleywine infections received the same polite non-response. Please send your complaints to GI if you are experiencing issues with BCBS, and hopefully they will eventually address it in a meaningful way.

10. TomClem

TomClem Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2012 Nebraska

I talked to a brewer who came to town for Migration week. They are pretty certain they know what went wrong with BCBCS and BCBBW. Changes to the process have been made.

bbtkd likes this.
  11. erik_c

erik_c Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2012 District of Columbia

I have a bunch of 2015s. Bought in DC. One 12OCT15 1248 (13.7%) was infected. Flat, metallic, sour. I notified GI on Jan 18 2016, right after I drain poured what was left of it.

TomClem likes this.
  12. tanis38

tanis38 Initiate (0) Jul 26, 2013 Florida

In the name of science, I opened up one of my bottles last night. All my bottles were purchased in Miami, FL.

Bottle Date: 11/4/15
    Bottle Code: 1147
    ABV: 14.3%

Purchased on Black Friday and kept in the fridge since then.

It was delicious. No signs of infection. Very boozy.

nsheehan and Bogart2930 like this.
  13. JamesH

JamesH Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2012 Florida

I have one to send to you but in all honesty is your report going to hold up more validity than anyone else's in this thread just because you are outside of Florida? If you are able to get multiple people involved to taste test this bottle I would send one.

@mxracercam

aasher and nsheehan like this.
  14. JamesH

JamesH Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2012 Florida

Not to mention that more people right above me from different places have just started chiming in about infection... Clearly not just an isolated event. I highly suggest EVERYONE give a call in to GI. The more people that sound off the more likely they are to respond to it.

jloomis likes this.
  15. mjmcdonough73

mjmcdonough73 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2014 Florida

I'm going to Chicago in three weeks. I'd be happy to stop by Goose and let them experience their "off flavors" for themselves. I'll even bring a good one so they can experience the difference.

16. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,578) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Trader

I wouldn't waste the good one; I have a feeling they probably have decent access to BCBS. :wink:

nsheehan, SFACRKnight and rightcoast7 like this.
  17. Bartos

Bartos Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2013 Florida

I'd say that Florida (since that is how we are taking to referring to all the Florida BAs) are responding that same way to infected BCBS as we did when Funky Buddha had an infection issue with BA Muy Bonita. Is it really "piling on" when other people report that they also have infect/off bottles especially if the first person to report it has been called a "troll" or of spreading rumor/hearsay. I don't think it's piling on if I chime in about my bottles being infected if the OP and other Florida BAs are getting contrary responses from BAs in other states about their bottles being fine. This actually has helped up get a better idea of the issue. It is looking like its largely the 21OCT15 bottles (which apparently were sent to Florida). Other FL distributed bottles don't appear to be an issue (yet?)

Yes. The vast majority of posts on here and reviews on Untapped are for the 21OCT15 bottles which apparently were distributed to Florida. Not sure if they ended up being distributed anywhere else

HA! Good luck. Even if anyone from Florida was up for trading quality (Cycle) for quantity (BCBS)...they are probably too wary now to pull the trigger on anymore 15 BCBS. But I get what you are saying. I got to every Cycle release. When people ask me what Cycle trades for my response is always "More Cycle" because the majority of the trades I see/hear about are locals swapping bottles from different releases.

THIS RIGHT HERE! My exact experience. Most of the bottles I opened soon after the release were from bottling dates other than 21OCT15 and those bottles were amazing. The last two bottles I have opened are 21OCT15 bottles that I picked up via trade that are 21OCT15 bottles that I know where not refridgerated for the whole time since the release are the ones that have significant "off flavors"

Well, it appears that GI organizes their distribution (at least partially) by bottling dates....ie. This chunk of bottles (which happened to be bottled this day) are for NY and this chunk of bottles bottled on the 21st of October are for Florida.

Further "proof" that is not all florida bottles or a location thing but rather a certain "batch" (21OCT15) that is infected.

At this point is looks like since the issue is largely contained to 21OCT15 and those bottles seem to have only gone to FL...yes, this thread might be better in the South Atlantic forum. At the time it was created, none of us knew what bottles were affected or what areas. It's also still possible that there are 21OCT15 bottles in areas other than FL and those people aren't aware or haven't opened their bottles yet.

Well based on what @north_1 posted, there is some anecdotal evidence that the infection/off flavors didn't develop till recently. And it's obviously going to depend on what temperature the bottles were stored at. The warm the temp the bottles were store at (and the longer the time) the more likely those 21OCT15 bottles will exhibit infection/off flavors. Bottles kept at fridge temp (36 or 37 degrees) are less likely to exhibit the off flavors or exhibit less off flavor (and therefore harder to detect). There are even posts from Florida members that state their 21OCT15 bottles tasted fine but almost all of them state they kept their bottles cold (even cooler than "cellar temp") since the release. I had a similar experience with my BCBW bottles. The bottles kept in my fridge were drinking fine. The bottles I had in my "cellar fridge" (45 degrees) started fine and as time went on began to exhibit off flavors over the span of a couple weeks. And the bottle that I had forgotten about and left at room temp (71 degrees) was undrinkable by the time I opened it (after they started taking refund info)

Examples like this are why I would advocate AGAINST moving this thread to a regional forum. It has taken 6-7 months (from time of bottling) for these off flavors to start to develop enough to prompt this conversation. Its entirely possible that other bottling dates are also affected but not to as great of an extent...especially when you start factoring in variable like conditions during distribution and release. Other parts of the country are much cooler on Black Friday then Florida. So bottles sitting on trucks and in stores might not have been expose to the warmer temperatures we experienced and therefore the infection in those bottles is taking longer to rear it's ugly head. And those consumers in cooler areas have actually cellars so bottles aren't hanging out at 70 degrees like a couple of mine did during our "Florida Winter"...it's a small chance but it's still possible. It's more likely that (excluding the occasional random "off" bottle) the infection is limited to just the 21OCT15 bottles.

I received the same response but at the time I didn't know the "limits" to the infected bottles. So I am going to try calling back and give them more details about how it is limited to the 21OCT15 bottles. I'm sure GI has multiples of all bottles they sent out set aside for QA purposes. Hopefully they can open a 21OCT15 bottle and test it

18. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Grand Pooh-Bah (3,142) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Where did you get the idea I want to wait to find out my beers are infected? I was only pointing out an inaccurate statement and correcting it...

19. in_deep

in_deep Initiate (0) Sep 7, 2015 North Carolina

I shared this bottle of 13.7%. I want to add a couple things. We opened a bottle of 14.3% a few days ago and it was beautiful. So we know what the taste should be. They were stored together since beer release. So one less variable - Not bad storage. I also have been through 5 bottles of BCBW that were horrendous. So we know what that tastes like too. This 13.7% BCBS was not at that point. It was drinkable but off. But it did remind me of the BCBW on the finish - Sour. Nervous for my other bottles of 13.7%

FarmerTed likes this.
  20. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois

Speacking of infected BCBS GI is officially at the level of zero Fuxx's given, they have a BA Barely wine with Lacto on tap at Fulton called playing with fire .Do they just pour the BCBBW you returned in a glass and charge you 4 bucks?

[​IMG]

21. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Trader

Have you heard their experimental stuff? It's pretty cool/tasty, even the one that was just a random blend of a bunch of different BCBS variants/vintages (Cuvee of Darkness).

Vitamin_Hop likes this.
  22. Thirst_trappist

Thirst_trappist Savant (1,204) Jan 18, 2016 Florida
    Trader

this is making me sad all my bcbs 15's are the 21oct15 dates :slight_frown:

23. JMagee

JMagee Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2013 New York

So you're trying to horde all the BCBS and trade for it at rock bottom from people who may not know there is a refund going on so that you can exchange for better beers?

Because I remember several notable #Florida people doing that for BA Muy Bonita.

berto714 likes this.
  24. Jimbobebop

Jimbobebop Initiate (0) Jun 12, 2013 Illinois

It's obviously a bad batch of BCBBW re-labeled, same ABV too. I am aware of they experimental stuff, the recent sour coffee comes to mind. With that said no company in their right mind makes a 10+ percent beer,add Lactco and barrel ages with plans to sell it for 4 bucks a 10 oz pour.

#264 Jimbobebop, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  25. SammyJaxxxx

SammyJaxxxx Initiate (0) Feb 23, 2012 New Jersey

Is there experimental stuff normally 1/2 the price of everything else?

SFACRKnight and berto714 like this.
  26. SammyJaxxxx

Here's a change they might want to make-DON'T SELL INFECTED BEER

27. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Trader

Interesting point!

Oh c'mon, like they're the first guys to do this, and like they meant to. It's fair to point out that this only started being an issue with BCBS when they started ramping up production/distributing all over. As a compromise, I say they just go back to selling almost exclusively to Chicago/Illinois (fine, NY can have some), and we'll deal with all possibility of infection. :wink:

28. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,480) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Hmm just got home from work will try one soon.

29. Steban

Steban Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 North Carolina

06OCT15 1236
    14.3 %

Tastes Perfect. No off- flavors.

surfcaster likes this.
  30. gatornation

gatornation Grand High Pooh-Bah (8,480) Apr 18, 2007 Florida
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Lets see ..Took one for the team and opened a BCBS 11/04/15 , Tasting just fine, just as good as the others ive opened over the last 4 months, now if your looking to find off tastes and people are saying its so ,you may just find these off tastes thats human nature , and possibly this years will not age and more people will find infection tastes and then in the end will become true time will tell , had a 2012 , and a 2013 recently and they were just so great , so hope this one holds up.. Time and posts will tell.

nsheehan likes this.
  31. DIPAFAN

DIPAFAN Savant (1,010) Dec 16, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

I have a bunch of bottles dated 10-1 (13.7%) that were all purchased at Whole Foods in NYC. I opened one last Friday and then another last night after seeing this thread and I am happy to report they both tasted delicious. It is definitely different than it was fresh, but not different than the last 4 years have aged from my perspective.

Hopefully this is just regional and the rest of us will be able to age and consume at our leisure over the coming years. I hope you FL guys get your bottles replaced or money back from GI.

TomClem likes this.
  32. bb_hagen

bb_hagen Initiate (0) Apr 2, 2015 New Jersey

I have three 21OCT15 bottles on hand bought from two NJ stores. Going to try one tonight or tomorrow and post results. Fingers crossed.

elucas730, zizouandyuki and jrnyc like this.
  33. Tomcheeze

Tomcheeze Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Illinois

Had a bottle dated 21OCT15. Bought at Binny's on Black Friday. Overall, still enjoyable. But there was definitely a tart taste with the finish. Closer to the end of the bottle it got worse. Similar to the metallic, penny taste people have reported. Definitely turning in the wrong direction. Still think it's just Florida?

34. PowderedToastman

PowderedToastman Initiate (0) Mar 29, 2016 Pennsylvania

21OCT15 bottles here all bought in the SEPA area. Have had at least 6-7 since black Friday that have been consistent and delicious. Will test one out tonight and post back.

zizouandyuki likes this.
  35. SammyJaxxxx

I don't think they did it intentionally but I do think that the scope of the problem was their negligence and "need" to have this beer on the shelf black Friday. GI knew there was a problem with the Barleywine and had to dumb a batch. They should have held the rest back to do more testing.

nsheehan and 2beerdogs like this.
  36. Boosully

Boosully Zealot (526) Apr 8, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Curiosity got the better of me and I cracked a bottle tonight 21 OCT 15 1904 (14.3%). These have been in a temperature controlled cellar since I got them. These were either purchased/traded for in the Detroit area. No off flavors and smelled fine.

37. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Pooh-Bah (1,877) Mar 19, 2012 California
    Pooh-Bah Society

2 OCT 15. Drank two nights ago. No problema other than not being as good as last years.:grinning:

Purchased in SF Bay Area.

38. _RL_

_RL_ Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Maryland
    Trader

21 Oct 2015 bought around Baltimore MD. Drank last night and was delicious.

39. CuriousMonk

CuriousMonk Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2010 District of Columbia

IMO... All the Brand Stout beer series including the Rare were OFF this year, PERIOD! Even the '15 Rare was a bit underwhelming. For a super limited beer like the '15 Rare, why isn't it trading at the same equivalence as, say, a TG KBBS or MD?

Anyway, back to my point -- 2015 is to be forgotten and let's give GI the benefit of the doubt especially for them trying to make it right by issuing refunds and all of that. That takes balls. So, let's hope that '16 will be a better year for all concerned. Cheers!

40. mxracercam

mxracercam Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If 15 Rare is super limited, I'm Miles Davis!
    Its a good, overpriced beer that I'm hoping ages into something great....but it isn't particularly rare.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.