Refunds for Goose Island 2015 Bourbon County Coffee & Bourbon County Barleywine

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by snoopdme, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snoopdme

snoopdme Initiate (30) Nov 9, 2015 Illinois

Per Goose Island's blog this afternoon http://www.gooseisland.com/blog?id=post_11

---
    To our loyal fans,

Each year you stand in long lines in the cold to get your hands on Bourbon County Stout and the special variants. This is beer that we hope is shared on special occasions, or maybe even makes the occasion special. Beer that we truly hope helps strengthen bonds and makes lasting memories.

I want you to know that the entire team at Goose Island puts our heart and soul into making Bourbon County, and we understand and appreciate your high expectations for them. It is always our intention to put forth the best beer we can craft. When we don’t meet those expectations we take it personally, and we want to make it right.

It has come to our attention that since bottling the 2015 Bourbon County Coffee and Bourbon County Barleywine, they have developed flavors that are not consistent with our expectation of how these beers should taste. That’s not to say the beer doesn’t taste good, in fact some drinkers may enjoy it very much. However, it doesn’t meet our standards for the taste profile of these beers.

All of our beer goes through a very thorough quality oversight process including sensory and microbiology programs. This by no means is a guarantee of success especially with barrel aged beers. Both of these beers have drifted out of their target character thus leading us to provide refunds for anyone who is unsatisfied with them. Anyone who would like a refund for 2015 Bourbon County Coffee or 2015 Bourbon County Barleywine, please contact us at 1-800-Goose-Me.

In spite of the risks inherent with barrel aging, our quest to grow these beers and our barrel aging program will persevere. I hope you continue to join us in this adventure.

Very Truly,
    Jared Jankoski
    ---

That being said if you have a good coffee or barleywine do not abuse this situation. It sucks that it happened but Goose is making it right.

Now the big thing will be if you want to age your barleywine. You're taking a risk.

2. riotontheroad

riotontheroad Devotee (430) Apr 7, 2010 California
    Trader

...off to the cellar to check dates/bottling times.

3. rjp217

rjp217 Poo-Bah (1,526) Apr 24, 2012 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Glad to hear they are making it right. Hope it doesn't get abused.

4. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (5,191) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Trader

They are offering refunds , just got thru , have some bottle codes available super nice on the phone took about 10 minutes refund will be processed within 2 weeks.

5. jar72404

jar72404 Initiate (95) May 31, 2009 Florida

Harmful bacteria are killed by alcohol. That's a big reason wine was so popular before refrigeration. (That it can taste great and has other side effects were added bonuses.)

There's definitely "reason they choose the words they do"--they don't want to admit that they screwed-up.

charlzm and Pisthetaerus like this.
  6. Davl22

Davl22 Aspirant (260) Sep 27, 2011 New Hampshire
    Trader

What are the bottle codes?

The-Adjunct-Hippie likes this.
  7. snoopdme

From someone who covers the beer industry it's true but it is exceedingly unlikely as you put it.

Lare453 likes this.
  8. bowzer4birdie

bowzer4birdie Poo-Bah (1,539) Aug 16, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

There are multiple threads like this. @blue-dream can you help here? there will be dozens out there before we know it if peeps don't take the time to scan what's out there already.

9. gatornation

Trader

Date and time bottled (military).

The-Adjunct-Hippie likes this.
  10. SCW

SCW Poo-Bah (1,692) Jul 25, 2004 New York
    Society

What common beer-spoiling organism will cause harm when drinking it?

11. snoopdme

While it's extremely rare their could be a potential issue, when you call a beer infected it leaves that door open. If they called it infected there could be a lot more issues. It's just off-taste so you may or may not like it but it's not what they wanted it to taste like. It's the same thing that happened with 18th Street's Hunter this past year.

Lare453 likes this.
  12. snoopdme

Great question. I don't know at this point. Trying to find that out. However, I spoke with a person who knows these situations (not affiliated with Goose Island) that says this is common practice.

Lare453 likes this.
  13. SCW

Society

It is a rhetorical question. I'm sitting next to a Diplom-Braumeister from the Weihenstephan Institute, and there are none known, especially in high-ABV beers.

If there are frequent reports of "gushing beers" and some report the beer to taste "sour" or "diacytel" the beers are clearly infected/spoiled by common beer spoiling organisms.

To say the beers "have drifted out of their target character" is not a misrepresentation, but to say they're not infected is also inaccurate based upon the prevailing observations.

14. blue-dream

blue-dream Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2013 Virgin Islands (U.S.)

Locked down the other 2, if more pop up report it with the request to merge it, and if you can paste the link to merge it too you get brownie points.:wink:
    Hopefully everyone will now be directed here to know how to get refunds.

15. bowzer4birdie

Trader

Nice, dude. You da man! as always, bro :-)

creepinjeeper likes this.
  16. egoo33

egoo33 Aspirant (208) Apr 18, 2010 Illinois

So when do we riot :grinning:

KurtE, Rammed96, JayWhitson and 4 others like this.
  17. boothbeer

boothbeer Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2009 Illinois

Props (no pun intended) to Goose for doing this to try to make it right. They have an excellent product and they want people to continue purchasing their beer. I'm just hoping the loss they take from these refunds wont be added into a price hike next year....

18. aubzachsyd

aubzachsyd Disciple (326) Oct 7, 2013 Iowa

Blame the bottles.

PerHops, IowaPA, JDizzle and 5 others like this.
  19. gatornation

Trader

Why?

egoo33 likes this.
  20. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,300) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland

Are they refunding based on their MSRP? Most places didn't sell them at that.

21. egoo33

egoo33 Aspirant (208) Apr 18, 2010 Illinois

Just waiting for the thread to devolve

ManBearPat, chipawayboy and HopBroker like this.
  22. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Defender (607) Mar 28, 2009 California

Which ones are known to have issues? I have one bottle that I would prefer to drink down the road instead of drinking it now. However, I don't want to crack in a year and find out its infected..or "outside the target".

23. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Check out the first post.

24. gatornation

Trader

Should Evolve IMO. Call them they will help you.

drtth likes this.
  25. kevinrivers

kevinrivers Initiate (32) Nov 16, 2014 Washington

I think it is safe to assume they all will have issues at some point.

cavedave likes this.
  26. bowzer4birdie

Trader

everyone.............look the first post and link. it will all become clearer to you from there.

snoopdme likes this.
  27. SCW

Society

Thanks for your help with that. At one point in time there were 5 separate threads all discussing the same topic!

28. bowzer4birdie

Trader

Don't I know it...

29. donamh

donamh Initiate (78) Dec 27, 2012 New York

Opened up one of my bottles of coffee earlier after reading about the possible infection. It definitely tastes off, so I guess I have to give them a call.

30. gatornation

Trader

Call GI, they will help you and it does not take that long.

31. 64vdub

64vdub Aspirant (281) Feb 20, 2014 California
    Trader

I just called in and it was easy peasy. I bought 3 bottles of Barleywine, and 1 coffee. Their sending a $50 check and they asked what size t-shirt I wear. The guy who answered my call was very nice and professional.

32. mungbeans

mungbeans Initiate (0) May 27, 2007 Massachusetts

Goose Island tries to make it right and people complain about the wording. Are you people ever happy?

33. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,606) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Haha folks hate Goose Island because they were purchased by ABI. Goose Island could have announced they cured cancer along with the refund announcement and folks would complain they didn't also cure heart disease.

34. gatornation

Trader

This had the same experience, they are working to make this right.

35. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Devotee (477) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Less than five minutes on hold waiting for a representative and then another five minutes getting it all sorted. Very well done on GI's part with this one, I have to say. The guy I spoke with was extremely cool about the whole thing, very polite and apologetic (shit happens), so I for one am not stressing it.

Loops, 2beerdogs, riverlen and 5 others like this.
  36. Benm2c

Benm2c Initiate (155) Mar 2, 2009 Illinois

Same easy experience. Woman even said there must be a lot of bourbon county drinkers that must not be very busy at work today. Lol

Loops, Bonis, cjgiant and 2 others like this.
  37. KevSal

KevSal Meyvn (1,031) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Trader

Ha! GI shoulda stuck with the 4 packs! All of this would have been avoided

Fargrow and Bunuelian like this.
  38. jRocco2021

jRocco2021 Disciple (303) Mar 13, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

Harakiri is the only thing that will make this truley right, their infected beer has brought shame upon us all and for that they must atone.

39. Shwilly_Vanilli

Shwilly_Vanilli Initiate (156) Dec 20, 2013 Connecticut
    Trader

It goes without saying, they are doing the right thing. GI has worked too hard to build a brand like Bourbon County and not keep the highest of quality standards. What is interesting to me is what the end result will be of all this. For everyone who requests a refund - authentically or otherwise, there will be someone else who purchased and isn't on BA. UnTapped, etc, and just won't ever purchase the beer again because they just don't like it. They can't get to every buyer. It's not like recalling automobiles. Some will slip through the cracks.

40. PhantomDogg

PhantomDogg Initiate (89) Jul 4, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Do you have to send the bottles back or how does that work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.