Refunds for Goose Island 2015 Bourbon County Coffee & Bourbon County Barleywine

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by snoopdme, Jan 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2012 Nebraska

I guess it does depend, but I'm not sure the state is the distinction. Price discrimination is fundamentally legal except in cases where it is found to violate anti-trust laws. In other words, price discrimination is illegal when it demonstrably harms competition.

I'm not a lawyer, but it would seem to my layperson's eyes that selling an identical product to two different retailers at different rates would be a violation of anti-trust laws because it consistently allows the retailer to whom they sell at a lower-price to dominate the market by being able to sell the product to the end consumer at a lower price.

Of course, the discriminated-against retailer would have to show in court that the cornering of the market was an inevitable outcome of the favored retailer getting to pay a lower price. That might be hard to do with beer--especially with a beer that will likely sell from both the discriminated-against retailer and the favored retailer.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  2. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

In Connecticut, price discrimination by distributors is specifically prohibited under the liquor control act. I haven't looked, but I'd assume other states do so as well.

Back when major distributors for NYC were going to merge the Bodegas Association specifically mentioned that they didn't get the same price discount on wholesale purchases from distributors as big box stores did. I'm sure their lawyers would have loved to have more to pile on to their anti trust complaint if price discrimination was actually an illegal practice for any distributor to take part in.

3. LambicPentameter

But isn't anti-trust a federal thing? So wouldn't price discrimination that is found to undermine open competition be potentially illegal no matter what the local states specific laws were?

4. Pisthetaerus

Pisthetaerus Initiate (126) Dec 3, 2014 Connecticut

I'm not a lawyer, but I'm sure there are plenty of companies and organizations with lawyers who would have gone after distributors by now for that kind of thing if it were possible.

this article implies it's possible to do so legally:

https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/com...ust-laws/price-discrimination-robinson-patman

#364 Pisthetaerus, Jan 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    LambicPentameter likes this.
  5. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2010 New York

Punk is dead.

Side note, popped open a barleywine last night, time stamped 1543 28Oct15, it smelled like Tart Of Darkness/cherry sours I've had and the acidic carbonation was pretty fizzy and persistent. Didn't gush or anything but it shouldn't have been that lively and it wouldn't quit bubbling. It was almost (actually?) like sour BCBBW and I tried for about 2 sips, then down the drain it went. Paint thinner.

#365 PsilohsaiBiN, Jan 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
    Klebe likes this.
  6. LambicPentameter

Yeah, the article I was reading suggested the same, that price discrimination is fundamentally legal except in certain cases where it is done with the intent or result of having an impact on competition within a given market.

I also got the impression that it can be hard to prove in court because the plaintiff has to do more than just show that it hurts their own sales. Perhaps a clue to why companies might not pursue legal action even if they believe they should be able to--especially if we're talking about local, smaller retailers who don't have deep pockets for a court battle.

Anyway, we're a little off topic I suppose. An interesting topic though.

Pisthetaerus likes this.
  7. f-castrillo

f-castrillo Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2015 California

Did my refund request last week for 4 barleywines and 3 coffee. I tried the coffee a month ago and it was good, I remember 2014 being more coffee-forward than the 2015. Haven't cracked the '15 BW yet though.

8. darktain

darktain Initiate (136) Dec 1, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Cracked a coffee tonight and definately was on the tart side, was time stamp 1312, no gush and drinkable but tasted like a sour stout

9. aubzachsyd

aubzachsyd Initiate (0) Oct 7, 2013 Iowa

BCBBW 29OCT15 1704 is not infected. Or whatever the hell Goose Island wants to call it. Pretty good but not as good as years past.

10. OrionsHunt

OrionsHunt Initiate (175) Jul 17, 2011 Minnesota
    Trader

Two more "off" bottles for those keeping track. Drinkable, but still very disappointed. Got more of each and hoping for the best.

Barley - 9/17/15 1245
    Coffee - 10/29/15 0815

11. mctizzz

mctizzz Initiate (0) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Deactivated

Anyone know if big breweries take out insurance policies on batches of beer to protect against big losses like this?

I know AB-Inbev is big enough to take this on the chin and not notice, but it seems reasonable that they would protect themselves when dealing with large, expensive batches.

pinballplayer likes this.
  12. treznor

treznor Zealot (594) Dec 20, 2006 North Carolina
    Trader

For those questioning kegging, I had drafts of both Coffee and BW last Thursday. The Coffee was definitely not infected. Tasted exactly as it was supposed to taste. BW on the other hand was definitely infected. Not the immediate drainpour that my drinking buddy that night said his bottles were, but definitely infected. Slightly acidic and the first flavor that comes is cherry/red fruit. Was actually a quandary to try and rate as it still tasted drinkable, though not at all like a barleywine. Still, in that keg the infection was starting to take hold so it it'd been left for another month or two it probably would have been a vinegary mess that I've heard the bottles were.

13. raynmoon

raynmoon Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

So you asked for a refund because you thought it was good? ... Interesting.

14. pinballplayer

pinballplayer Disciple (356) Jul 2, 2014 California
    Trader

Great question. I would love to hear feedback on this.

15. mctizzz

Deactivated

If big beer's business practices force other breweries to improve their customer service than that's obviously a plus. But I consider many of their business practices to be at odds with craft beer community that I have grown to appreciate. A good product is important, but I want my dollars to support business practices that are conducive to bettering the craft beer community, not eliminating it.

jrnyc likes this.
  16. HoosierHulk3

HoosierHulk3 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2015 Indiana

I had the exact same experience. The lady was very nice, very apologetic, and said someone would be getting back to me with a plan on what they are going to do for Indiana. I'm wondering what they will actually do? Send some good batches directly to us? Have a free party with everything on tap?

foundersfan1 likes this.
  17. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

Had my BW on Saturday. Going to call them today. Oct. 28, 2015, batch 1241.

Not terrible certainly, but actually had a slight sourness...indicating to me some bacterial infection.

18. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (347) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

Don't bother calling it's a corporate holiday at Goose Island. I used a vaction day today and this was on my to do list guess not !!

19. Fat_Maul

Fat_Maul Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2014 Pennsylvania

I thought it was going to be "I bought an infected beer and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

mfowler314 likes this.
  20. shizzyraw

shizzyraw Initiate (111) Mar 26, 2008 Pennsylvania

Has anyone done the swap at the brewery? How'd it go?

21. kclifford

kclifford Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Illinois

I might have missed this, but are these for Coffee or Barleywine?

22. jws6w7

jws6w7 Initiate (0) Oct 30, 2014 Florida

I called and they took care of me no problems

VDubDJ likes this.
  23. kclifford

kclifford Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Illinois

This is largely correct. I e-mailed an acquaintance (know well enough to e-mail him regarding this, but not to ask if any bottles of 2010 Rare are laying around :wink:) of mine who recommended I put mine in the fridge or cooler temperatures right away. He said if I stored all mine the same way and was unsatisfied with one of my bottles, the rest are likely to be the same. Those bottles that were stored in warmer temps are tending to have an “off-acid” flavor.

Cheers.

24. Seanem44

Seanem44 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Virginia

I'm glad that you mentioned this. I opened my Coffee this past week and first hint something was off was the carbonation. It fizzed almost like a coke instead of normal beer head.

After that, tasted no coffee at all. Tasted like an off BCBS. It had a weird tangy after-taste that I couldn't pin-point until I read your post. The after taste was sour cherry. I have yet to open the three barleywines I purchased. Sucks that this happened.

25. Dan_Inreallife

Dan_Inreallife Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

It's been 12 days now so I'm wondering if anyone has actually received their refund yet. I know many folks, myself included, were told 7-10 days, but I haven't gotten anything as of this morning.

26. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Make sure your counting business days. Also dont count this monday lol.

27. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,550) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Yup, refrigerating your beers will be a benefit since cold temperatures inhibit the growth of spoilage microorganisms (e.g., bacteria). That is why you refrigerate your orange juice, milk, etc., to inhibit the growth of spoilage microorganisms.

Cheers!

foundersfan1 and cavedave like this.
  28. Chitex78

Chitex78 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2013 Illinois

Has anyone else received email acknowledgement from GI? Got this today:

[​IMG]

bowzer4birdie likes this.
  29. Heretic42

Heretic42 Initiate (0) Aug 31, 2011 Texas

Got the same today

30. DarkMagneto

DarkMagneto Initiate (145) Apr 17, 2007 Illinois

Yep, just walked up to the front doors of the brewery and they handed out cash. Super simple and fast/easy. Amazing!

31. mctizzz

Deactivated

I tried twice earlier and spent 30min and 5min on hold before giving up.

Just called and spoke to someone right away. They only asked for the place of purchase, the numbers off one BW and one Coffee, my shirt size, and a copy of receipt. I obviously didn't have a receipt so they said they could only refund me $99, a difference of ~$10. Very easy, thanks GI. I hope that tshirt is soft as fuck!

bigjsempire likes this.
  32. Avelasquez80

Avelasquez80 Initiate (0) Jul 9, 2015 Texas

I wasn't asked to give my email. So I'll just continue to look out for the package to arrive.

33. 4truth

4truth Aspirant (237) Jan 30, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

No email, no t-shirt, no refund check yet.

34. Seanem44

Seanem44 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Virginia

I called last night. No wait time at all. They reimbursed me for the coffee and three Barleywines. $50 total and a T-Shirt to boot. GI is a class act. Sucks this happens and I don't blame them. They made it right and I have no problem camping out again next year.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  35. Klebe

Klebe Initiate (0) May 16, 2012 Maryland

Identical experience, down to the drain pour (though try I did to drink the SOB).

PsilohsaiBiN likes this.
  36. JDubbelStout

JDubbelStout Initiate (0) Mar 30, 2014 California

Called and got my refund and t-shirt coming. I don't understand why anyone would complain or criticize this situation. Seriously, shit happens, and the best you can expect is for someone to try to make it right by offering money back. The number of bad beers I have poured out that I got nothing for... Yeah, I appreciate this very much.

I'll be proudly wearing my new GI (hopefully BC) t-shirt, and making an effort to get more BCBCS and BCBBW next Black Friday!

37. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

Just got done. It took less than 2 minutes to get through. He said they were "thinking about" giving T-shirts and did ask for my size.

Coffee was 17 Sep 1223
    BW was 20 Oct 1215

38. Tomcheeze

Tomcheeze Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Illinois

Was anyone else given the option to swap their Coffee and BW for Regular at the GI Fulton taproom? When I called about a refund weeks ago it seems like that wasn't even an option. Now I'm hearing reports of swapping. Wish that was made clear after their public statement. I would of rather taken regular BC that I can drink vs. a refund for opened bottles.

39. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (186) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

I was told that you could do both the refund and exchange for unopened bottles. It is supposed to be for the inconvenience of this entire situation and to make up for it in addition to the refunds.

40. Tomcheeze

Tomcheeze Initiate (0) Apr 20, 2015 Illinois

Interesting. Would of been great to know before I tossed all my empties. Thanks for the tip!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.