Regionally distributed beers in the next state from you

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bubseymour, May 6, 2022.

1. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

What easy to find beers do you frequently finding yourself purchasing when visiting a neighboring state or for some of the larger states (CA, TX etc) perhaps in a different part of the state away from your local area. Talking about easy to find beers in grocery stores or bottle shops (so not talking about grabbing to-go beers direct from a small brewery). So I live in Md, if I’m in PA, I grab Fatheads, Lawson’s, and if fresh Toppiling Goliath and Half Acre. All if found in PA grocery stores across the state line and we don’t get them in MD. I’ll grab these when I can (and check freshness). Virginia, not much unique regional beers these days from what I can get in MD. Maybe 7-10 years ago there were many however. Crossing into WV….nothing special I’ve found compared to my home state of MD.

2. Cstamp3084

Cstamp3084 Initiate (76) May 3, 2020 Maryland
    Trader

I'm in the same boat as you I live in Maryland and go to pa once a month to grab the same brands as you. I also have found hop butcher beers in York and Lancaster. The only beer brand outside of local stuff I get in Maryland on the regular is von trapp. I also go to Virginia whenever a new schilling beer is available and now they have regular distro of jack's abby so i'll be getting some ray catcher once it makes its way down there. I feel like I hit the jack pot this week I found a place that has fresh mini kegs of rothaus in Maryland. I have never found anything worth traveling to Delaware or West Virginia for.

ChicagoJ and Sheppard like this.
  3. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Meyvn (1,456) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey

I used to go to NY a lot visiting family and friends and occasionally PA. I would get Bells, but now it’s in NJ. There were some other things, but wow, can’t think of any other brands anymore.

The one thing that I’m still jealous of now is that NY and PA have all these breweries that ship there and NJ doesn’t.

#3 DrStiffington, May 6, 2022
    Last edited: May 6, 2022
  4. BigIronH

BigIronH Meyvn (1,364) Oct 31, 2019 Michigan
    Society Trader

New Glarus in Wisconsin.

Lucular, Chilmer, defunksta and 12 others like this.
  5. jonphisher

jonphisher Meyvn (1,205) Aug 9, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The main one for me years ago used to be Deschutes, Philly would get most of their stuff and NJ none. Now they distribute here which is nice.

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (2,024) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

I do it on a local level. Many small breweries get distributed to a few shops in the Denver area but not ALL of the shops in the metro area. As a result I find myself driving all over denver for different beers that aren't available in my neighborhood bottle shops.

7. o29

o29 Disciple (341) Sep 29, 2020 Texas
    Society Trader

After moving from Louisiana to Texas, I was happy to see both NOLA Brewing and Abita still available here. Strangely however no Parish in Austin which is my favorite Louisiana brewery -- I know it's distributed to some parts of TX and other parts of the US, but not here unfortunately.

8. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,475) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

It used to be 3 Floyds when traveling to northern Indiana, but they found their way to Michigan last year. Now it's just Fat Heads when I visit family in Ohio. Sometimes Columbus Brewing too. And if I'm in a good store I'll check out the German import section too.

ChicagoJ, Junior, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  9. BigIronH

Society Trader

Odd to see all the ZD and GBH rotting away on shelves at 3-9 months old now isn’t it? When we just got their distribution at the beginning of last year, I wouldn’t have expected the desire to fade so quickly. Or, maybe the market was just flooded that fast? Cheers.

ChicagoJ, Junior, vurt and 2 others like this.
  10. Providence

Providence Crusader (790) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Trader

Troeg's goes to Mass. and not RI. If I want Nugget Nectar I have to make arduous 7 mile expedition north.

taalhiker, ChicagoJ, cavedave and 6 others like this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,430) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I travel to Delaware a few times a year to visit Total Wine & More (none of these stores in PA) to stock up on wine. I do walk through the beer section, mostly for fun. The prices there are good (plus no sales tax) but you really have to be conscientious about checking the dates (which is also true at my local beer retailers). Sometimes I buy beer there and sometimes not; the availability of beer brands is not better than what we get in PA.

As regards the other neighboring state of NJ, in the past I would make it a point to seek out and purchase Carton beers but I can now find Carton at my local Retail Beer Distributor but I don't buy them because of the high prices.

One of my preferred neighboring state brewed beers is Fat Heads which I can purchase at my local beer retailers.

Cheers!

ChicagoJ and BigIronH like this.
  12. JackHorzempa

Society

I have witnessed this phenomena at my local beer retailers (you could add WeldWerks to the list). When they first showed up (with high prices) folks would buy them (for ticking purposes I presume) and then they would just sit and get old. FWIW I think this is an artifact of the strong "Drink Local" movement of some (many?) craft beer consumers.

Cheers!

13. bubseymour

Society Trader

Deleware gets Prairie beers and I don’t find them in Md (at least no where I recall) that is pretty much only thing I look for specifically in DE stores that are regionally distributed.

ChicagoJ, BigIronH and JackHorzempa like this.
  14. slander

slander Poo-Bah (2,342) Nov 5, 2001 New York
    Moderator Society

Great Lakes & Port/Lost Abbey in NJ, for me, please.

15. DrOfGolf

DrOfGolf Disciple (334) Jun 11, 2019 Delaware
    Society Trader

Ain't that the Truth! :wink:

Cheers

BigIronH likes this.
  16. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,880) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

This. And Zombie Dust.

ChicagoJ, Junior, Jaycase and 3 others like this.
  17. bubseymour

Society Trader

Yea I just noticed Hop Butcher in PA when I was up there a few weeks ago and grabbed a single. I’ll be looking for them more often now. Schilling is another Ive found sporadically in PA. I wasn’t aware they are in VA, so I’ll be looking for those next time I visit. I’m in Frederick area of MD and we got a “test run” of Jacks Abbey beers distributed a few months back and I was buying them on the regular. They disappeared though so I guess the sales didn’t hit the mark they were looking for in my area :slight_frown:. But like you I’m buying a lot of Von Trappe on the regular now it’s in MD.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Society

Prairie beers are available at my local beer retailers. The below list is from my local Retail Beer Distributor:

Prairie 4th Annv 16.9oz Bt Sng 16 Oz. Btl/Can Single 11

Prairie BA Weekend 12oz Bt Sng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 14

Prairie Bday Bomb 12oz Btl Sng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 9.5

Prairie Bible Belt 12oz B Sng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 9.5

Prairie Bomb 1/6 bbl 1/6 Keg 259

Prairie Bomb 12/12oz Btl 12 Pack 12oz Bottles 100.99

Prairie Hulk Hands 12oz Cn 4P 6 Pack 12 Oz. Cans 12.99

Prairie Key Lime 12oz C4P 4 Pack 12 Oz. Cans 12.99

Prairie Merica 12oz Can 4PK 4 Pack 12 Oz. Cans 12.99

Prairie Mocha Noir 12oz Bt Sng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 14

Prairie Noir 12oz Btl Sng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 14

Prairie Paradise 12oz Can Sng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 9.5

Prairie Pineapple Ups 12oz C4P 4 Pack 12 Oz. Cans 12.99

Prairie Pnt Btr Bomb 12oz BSng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 14

Prairie Punch 12oz C4P 4 Pack 12 Oz. Cans 12.99

Prairie Snicker Noir 12oz BSng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 14

Prairie Weekend 12oz Bt Sng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 9.5

Prairie X-mas Bomb 12oz B Sng 12 Oz. Btl/Can Single 9.

I have yet to buy/drink a Prarie beer since they are too pricey for me.

Cheers!

russpowell, officerbill, Rug and 3 others like this.
  19. MistaRyte

MistaRyte Defender (659) Jan 14, 2008 Virginia
    Trader

This. I would love to try a *Bomb... think the only thing I've ever tried from them is Phantasmagoria, a (cheaper) IPA

BrewsOverHoes likes this.
  20. JackHorzempa

Society

bubseymour likes this.
  21. JackHorzempa

Society

Is one of the Bomb versions more appealing to you vs. another? Would bottle age be an issue here?

Maybe I should pry open my wallet and pull out a $10 bill and try one? :thinking_face:

Cheers!

ChicagoJ and cavedave like this.
  22. MistaRyte

Trader

I'm closest to NC, and there's nothing really "huge" there that I can't get in VA. I do like to go down to Boonies in Moyock to pick up beer from some smaller NC-specific breweries I can't get over in VA though.

I've seen Surly come and go in VA. 3 Floyds has been around for a few months, and we just got access to Jacks Abby in the past month. I would love to see some Fatheads in VA. And maybe some more NJ specific beer like Carton.

ChicagoJ and rgordon like this.
  23. bubseymour

Society Trader

Yeah I haven’t seen Schilling in any recent trips up to PA either. Maybe they had to do some retraction.

24. JackHorzempa

Society

25. montman

montman Devotee (431) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

I am not sure if it is the "bomb" kind specifically, but I've seen Bottlebox carry prairie stouts, some BA.

I usually have too many beers locally to catch up on to buy up many neighboring states beers, but the exception is I do regularly like to grab Olde Hickory when in OBX/NC.

ChicagoJ, DrOfGolf and BigIronH like this.
  26. Cstamp3084

Trader

I'm down in southern Maryland I can get to Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax in about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Schilling is not widely available in northern VA. Arlington brew shop, dominion beer and wine in falls church, high side in Fairfax, craft beer cellar in dc, and corks and kegs in Richmond VA. It seems they get a shipment of a few varieties every month or two. My part of Maryland was getting jack's abby a year ago but none since. I talked to the distributor and I was told they got jacks abby through brew pipeline not directly from jacks abby. It was strange jacks abby beer finder never showed any of there products in Maryland. If you use there beer finder now you can see there beers all over VA. I still cant find any von trapp helles bock.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  27. Sheppard

Sheppard Poo-Bah (2,166) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Interesting thread. What motivates these trips? Is it nostalgia for certain brands? Is it just that these brands are better (or particular styles since Schilling was mentioned) than what's available locally? Is it to expand your ticks?

I'm asking these questions because I don't want to sandbag this thread and I am interested in consumer behavior. I do not go over to different regions bc Massachusetts gets better distribution than neighboring states IMO. Also, I have great local options. If I'm going to a neighboring state, it's usually as a weekend trip and I will pick up beers directly from breweries (unless I can get something like Drie).

28. MistaRyte

Trader

Sorry I wasn't clear. I have no problem finding Bomb. My issue is paying 8$+ for a bottle.

russpowell and BigIronH like this.
  29. Cstamp3084

Trader

If I was closer to North Carolina I would stock up on red oak and Old Mecklenburg. One year I was driving to Georgia and bought a case of Old Mecklenburg oktoberfest kept me very happy the week I was in Georgia I wish I stopped and bought more to bring home. I also made a trip to red oak one weekend there lagers are more impressive then anything brewed in Maryland but not quite on the same level as Old Mecklenburg.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  30. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,952) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

I've ordered from Half Time a few times to NJ, so that might be an option available to you for some out of state variety.

31. Cstamp3084

Trader

I'm motivated by getting my hands on world class lagers. The best lagers from craft brands available to me right now in Maryland are von trapp. I normally only buy imports on the regular in Maryland. I have a local place that carries ayinger pils near my home and a place close to my work that I get cases of pilsner urquell in cans from now.

32. BigIronH

Society Trader

I feel like my state has really good distribution and obviously a ton of excellent breweries, therefore I don’t have to travel out of area for beer alone. I answered more from a perspective of what I would grab if I was in a particular breweries distribution area within another state. Cheers.

33. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Poo-Bah (2,037) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

If I make it to Oregon I always look to bring home some pFriem, Breakside, Georgetown, and others.

If I get to southern California I try to grab some henhouse saisons, Beachwood, and ghost town cans if I can.

34. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (136) May 28, 2008 Florida

We see our fair share of Sweetwater and Terrapin in South FL, fwiw.

ChicagoJ and Bitterbill like this.
  35. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (3,475) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Ditto. My purchases out of state would be good beers that I had on previous visits and would want to enjoy again. I don't make special trips just for these beers

36. budsNpils

budsNpils Initiate (110) Aug 6, 2021 Texas
    Trader

I never see any Parish here in the DFW area. It sucks and we're not to far imo. Iv been brainstorming on a trip to Louisiana/Parish eventually.

russpowell, ChicagoJ and o29 like this.
  37. vurt

vurt Poo-Bah (1,647) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Society

Every now and then my wife and I go to Idaho to visit family. We drink Idaho beers while we're there, and we almost always grab a couple sixers of Odell beers since we don't get them here in Oregon.

38. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,724) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Well, since I only have 2 states next to mine, and there's not really much from Idaho (other than Selkirk Abbey) that interests me, I have to look towards OrUhGun. We get lots and lots of OR brews up here, but the two top targets for me are Bend Brewing and Barley Browns.

Neither gets across the Columbia, and those are the ones I have folks bring back for me.

vurt, ChicagoJ and Bitterbill like this.
  39. Junior

Junior Champion (845) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Society Trader

Same with Toppling Goliath. Sad that they cannot figure out distribution.

40. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,236) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Boonies in Moyock sounds like something on Netflix. Season Two coming soon. I mostly buy Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, and Oscar Blues beers. But I do miss New River Pale Ale, which was way ahead of its time. It was special.