Request: Greg Koch, Executive Chairman & Co-Founder of Stone Brewing

Discussion in 'Beer Me Anything' started by Todd, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,522) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

As of this post, @StoneGreg hasn't been seen on BA since October 13, 2016. My initial questions for Greg would be:
    • Where the hell have you been?
    • You took a 6-month sabbatical around four years ago. What did you learn about yourself as it relates to Stone and the beer industry in general?
    • In this tweet, you said: "The Berlin craft beer scene is really starting to get in the swing. I’m loving it & stoked to be a part of it." Only now? Why? And why are you loving it and how are you a part of it beyond Stone having a brewery there?
    • With the growing interest in lagers from independent craft brewers, and Stone brewing lagers in recent years, do you still believe that "fizzy yellow beer is for wussies"?
    • With 22 years in the beer business under your belt, what single piece of advice would you give those looking to open a brewery today?
    Drop me a note, Greg. Let's schedule a BMA!

2. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,381) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Member Beer Trader

What's the proper way to do this, Todd? Do we put our own questions in this thread now, or wait for the BMA is scheduled?

AZBeerDude72 and LA_Hue24 like this.
  3. Todd

Staff

Probably best to wait for the BMA. Requests are simply meant to generate interest.

4. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,171) Jul 27, 2013 California

Great idea and a very nice “premium” perk

5. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,551) May 28, 2015 Arkansas

I like this a lot. There are a good number of people in all aspects of the beer industry on this site. It could make for some great discussions. I like only allowing premium members to post questions also. Hopefully that limits troll-ish posts.

6. Todd

Staff

Initially I liked his idea of broadcasting a live Q&A in person (see the above Twitter thread), but there's a risk that it'll become the "Greg Show" and remove the focus from you and your questions.

What say all of you? BMA or should I meet up with him for a live Q&A?

eppCOS and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  7. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,393) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

I vote BMA, it was fun with Shane and worked well.

eppCOS, frozyn, TongoRad and 2 others like this.
  8. frozyn

frozyn Crusader (705) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

Seconded. Additionally, I would like to see these conversations exist on BA to continue to promote BA and the hard work of the team here, as well as the community that exists, as opposed to a video that sits on Twitter/Vimeo/Youtube/somewhere and the traffic goes there instead of BA.

jrnyc, RobNewton and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  9. AZBeerDude72

Has Greg reached out, curious why he disappeared for 2 years? Hope he decides to join the conversation....
    Cheers

10. Todd

Staff

See the above Twitter thread.

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  11. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,292) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Premium Member

My vote is the BMA format - the one with Shane was great.

12. AZBeerDude72

Ah, I did not click on it originally and missed his reply, thanks for info. Sounds like he is on for talking so that is cool, always enjoyed his posts here back when he was active on the boards.
    Thanks and Cheers:beers:

13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,575) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

My vote is the BMA format.

When should we start posting our questions?

Cheers!

14. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,112) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania

It's probably already happening, but I think BA should invite other people (offline) to do some BMAs. One a week or so would be cool.

You and your bro would be cool for one week. There are a gazillion other people I wouldn't mind hearing from, too. All the hot breweries; the regional breweries; brand new breweries; label artists; epic beer bar folks. Even a few users: a @GreenBayBA one would be epic! Basically, just invite the first couple dozen people that come to mind, see who bites, and suggest a date to them.

Then decide whether or not you want to do Greg's thing. I think it would be cool, but I wouldn't necessarily brand it as BMA. At least not until there a bunch of "regular" BMAs in the books first.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  15. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Champion (853) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin

I certainly could create quite an interesting thread! :grinning:

thebeers likes this.
  16. Todd

Staff

Only when Greg decides to post his BMA thread.

17. Todd

Staff

It is. We've got a few in the works with more to follow.

18. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,711) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Beer Trader

Frankly I'm more interested in what they have to say than who's doing the saying so any brewer who is willing to openly participate is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

warrendietrich2001 likes this.