Respect Beer Society Membership Drive & Gathering!

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cfahooligan

Cfahooligan Events Director (127) Mar 19, 2001 California
    Staff

We can aim for a different kind of drive in Europe if this gains any sort of traction. We want to expand and up membership and usage overseas. Lot's of places are long overdue for visits.

2. LGHT

LGHT Devotee (494) Sep 28, 2007 California
    Society Trader

If you have 6 times more population shouldn't you have 6 times more in amount of members? You guys seriously don't deserve an event now I mean seriously you should be WAYYYY ahead of CALI not behind!

3. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (3,791) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Society

Yeah, I would like to see more Europeans on here, and active in threads. I try to spread the gospel whenever I talk to beer people, and the social aspect is my main point.

Beersnake1, 2beerdogs and FBarber like this.
  4. Cfahooligan

Cfahooligan Events Director (127) Mar 19, 2001 California
    Staff

I think Todd opening up reviews in native languages is a big positive for that. We are definitely open to ideas to appeal to overseas audiences in ways we weren't as receptive to before. Plus with Rate Beer being big overseas and that buy out, we really need to show those users we can be here for them too.

5. ktr5010

ktr5010 Disciple (352) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

The electoral college and what I proposed are two vastly different things.

2beerdogs likes this.
  6. BeerseAnyone

BeerseAnyone Initiate (52) Oct 5, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I'm not following this logic. Cali has 6x more population than Mass.

#46 BeerseAnyone, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    meefmoff, colby600 and beertunes like this.
  7. Rub_This_BBQ

Rub_This_BBQ Defender (667) Jul 8, 2013 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Thank you for making my point. CA has 6x more people than mass so CA should WAYYY out in front of mass but CA is not. That was my point is Mass is so much smaller but yet we still have almost the same amount of members as CA. So what you are saying then is CA does not deserve the events. (since it says you are from CA im surprised you are taking this stance but I agree with you so cheers!

jhavs likes this.
  8. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,622) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

This is the shizzle. ( A compliment)

jakecattleco and 2beerdogs like this.
  9. GratefulBeerGuy

GratefulBeerGuy Poo-Bah (2,840) May 20, 2006 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

Anywhere in New England and I'm there!!

jhavs likes this.
  10. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,833) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Sadly I spent the week hunting out of Sundance and never made it out to Devils Tower, but we hunted a few days in the Black Hills. I’ve hunted Eastern Mt as well, but that part of Wy is something to be seen. I’d love to do Glacier one day too.

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. Sarah_Bearah

Sarah_Bearah Initiate (177) Feb 5, 2019 California
    Society Trader

L.A. PLEASE!!!

TrojanRB and 2beerdogs like this.
  12. troutwild

troutwild Aspirant (250) Aug 4, 2014 California

13. eypmcfg

eypmcfg Initiate (78) Dec 20, 2011 Maryland

Maryland is a massively underestimated beer destination, and we get no respect being next to the Hell Hole called DC. The Baltimore Convention Center is ripe for an event like this, and there is a large list of excellent local breweries to help sponsor the event. Come on, the Orioles suck, and so we really need a pick me up around here.

2beerdogs likes this.
  14. GPaul

GPaul Initiate (130) Dec 30, 2018 Pennsylvania
    Society

Pittsburgh with its beer history past and present would be a grand place.

15. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,787) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Other than, ya know, it being Pittsburgh.

JK JK! :wink:

2beerdogs likes this.
  16. tobinbrews

tobinbrews Aspirant (260) Aug 16, 2014 Georgia
    Society

I know CA and MA get most of the love, but you should seriously consider coming to Atlanta. It's super easy to get to (direct flights to/from basically everywhere), and I'm sure a bunch of members from the other southern states (SC, NC, FL, AL, TN, KY, VA, MS, LA - almost 450 members between those states!) would be willing to make the trek! With so many other BA events happening in CA, MA, or NY already, it would be cool to change things up and show some love to the south!

The brewery scene here in Atlanta is excellent, there's amazing food, other events to go to, and it's not as expensive as other large cities.

I mean, let's be real, anyone flying to a gathering almost anywhere is going to have a layover in Atlanta anyway, so why not just make it the destination?

#56 tobinbrews, Apr 10, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  17. HopSessions

HopSessions Initiate (138) Mar 1, 2019 Illinois
    Society Trader

Idk about you but Illinois sounds like a pretty good host to me :wink:

dukeandduke likes this.
  18. Charmaign

Charmaign Initiate (25) Jul 8, 2018 California

Sacramento, CA would be really great. Everybody likes California, right?

jakecattleco and 2beerdogs like this.
  19. tobinbrews

tobinbrews Aspirant (260) Aug 16, 2014 Georgia
    Society

See my other post, but Atlanta should seriously be a contender. Easy to get to (direct flights from everywhere and a not crazy drive for the almost *450* members in the southern states!), GREAT beer and food scene, not as expensive as some other cities. Show the south some love!

2beerdogs likes this.
  20. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,252) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

I was going to mention something about Scott's Addition area of RVA being a great spot but you make a solid point - Virginia + DC + beltway MD would be an awesome represent, but the whole beltway parsing would be brutal at best. Think that only Ocelot up there would have an area capable of such a gathering though.

21. kevinmira

kevinmira Initiate (60) Feb 11, 2011 Ohio
    Society

No distance is too far to go for a good beer gathering. Just make sure there is a good airport near.

22. Alexmc2

Alexmc2 Zealot (532) Jul 29, 2006 Massachusetts
    Society

So since VT, NH and MA are top 3, I think we should meet up at the Northfield Drive in, which straddles NH and MA, with VT just 2000 feet away.

2beerdogs likes this.
  23. gueuzegeek

gueuzegeek Zealot (578) Aug 11, 2003 New Jersey
    Society

I really want to be counted in PA in case Philly has a chance!!

24. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,663) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Society

Hmm... I wasn’t thinking about the exact place, but would the meet up be at a brewery? Either way, expected attendance would need to be taken into consideration for the venue as well as transportation to and from it.

Around here there are some nice farm breweries that have lots of space, especially if we have good weather, but they’re not so close to the city. 2 Silos is a similar example. Separately thinking of Bluejacket downtown.

I’ll stop my meandering brainstorms now and leave it to the organizers to work out the particulars :wink:

riptorn likes this.
  25. bennyman12

bennyman12 Defender (632) Oct 10, 2008 Missouri
    Society Trader

Why not come to the center of it: St. Louis?!?

HopsAreDaMan likes this.
  26. ironpalmfist

ironpalmfist Disciple (352) Feb 12, 2009 New York
    Society

Representing New York!!!!!!

Todd likes this.
  27. 19etz55

19etz55 Aspirant (299) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

KANE BREWERY NJ!!!

28. Todd

Todd Founder (5,578) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

You'll need to sign up and get others from NJ to sign up too if you want NJ to have a chance. :wink:

29. 19etz55

19etz55 Aspirant (299) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

Ok thanks...

30. Zorro

Zorro Poo-Bah (4,431) Dec 25, 2003 California

Closer to the center of the country with affordable flights in and out.

Either Dallas or Denver.

31. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,833) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Should be based on total population vs percentage supporting. Otherwise there’s no way anyone else but California/ NY/Mass has a real shot here.

32. Todd

Thanks to @ktr5010 @MNAle for suggesting that we change this to per capita.

Update: While it's an interesting idea, the goal is to drive membership and host a successful gathering. And hosting one in a state with hundreds of Society members will help accomplish this vs. a state with under two dozen.

33. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,006) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Since I've yet to be impressed by any SD brews (caveat I haven't been to Sioux Falls in awhile), your location would have me drinking plenty of Toppling Goliath and Surly stuff for my palate and preferences... and Odell distro'd stuff. TETO

34. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Yeah - only one SD brewery distributes outside the state, and then only just over the border - and not my favorite brewery. On the other hand, Remedy is only about 19 months old and is expanding production. They are excellent and I wouldn't be surprised to see them go at least regional. Woodgrain is decent too. I'm mostly into BA Stouts/Porters/Quads/Scotch Ales and not a lot of that being brewed here, though Woodgrain and Fernson have occasionally.

jakecattleco likes this.
  35. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,396) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Let’s go California!!!

36. Todd

Switching to per capita killed California's chances.

37. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,396) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Society Trader

It inflated Vermont.....where there are TENS of people....

I think you should go back to total people. After all, it’s about ticket sales and participation. Even if only 10% of California’s society members show up, it’d still be more than a 100% turnout from Vermont....

38. Todd

I have to agree. The ultimate goal is to drive membership and host a successful gathering.

TrojanRB likes this.
  39. HopsAreDaMan

HopsAreDaMan Defender (667) Jul 28, 2015 Missouri
    Society

Is there a way to include both members per capita and total number of members, in the way that there are two parts of congress--being comprised of both the house and the senate? Perhaps half of the overall 'score' would be based on members per capita and the other half on total number of members?

40. Todd

To @TrojanRB's point, it's still attempting to inflate the numbers to force a desired result.

TrojanRB and SLeffler27 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.