Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Germany Rest of Deutschland Bier bought and drunk

Discussion in 'Europe' started by seanyfo, Sep 23, 2013.

1. seanyfo

seanyfo Meyvn (1,020) Jan 2, 2006 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Had a bier last night that i wanted to share a review of which was Non-Bayern and didn't want to lump it into the other thread. Im sure we all like a bit of ordnung around here. So i thought id start a new thread for biers from outside the Freistaat of Bayern.

Big thanks to Erzengel for this one.

Adambier

Brauerei Vormann - Methusalem - 10% abv

[​IMG]

Appearance - Altbier like copper body with excellent clarity. Creamy head produces great lacing/retention considering the abv.

Aroma - Subtle smoke is the first thing that hits me. Underneath i get a hint of green apple sourness with a bready malt note.

Taste - Altbier like maltiness up front. Wholemeal breadiness with a hint of tofffee sweetness. This is balanced by this green apple sour note coming through. I cant decide if there is a distinctive hop character in the finish though - the sourness seems to get in the way but not in a dominant overpowering way. Its all enveloped in a delicate smokiness. Absolutely no alcohol heat detected at all in the finish. Would never have guessed the alcohol content. Very clean finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation and body.

Overall - Incredibly complex stuff. Maltiness of an alt, perhaps a hint of sourness like a gose, all wrapped up in a subtle smokey blanket. It's a wonderful thing.

A lovely surprise and thanks again to Erzengel for the chance to try it!

Feel free to add more random Non Bayern bier reviews here!

Prost!

2. Ungespundetes

Ungespundetes Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2010 Antarctica

3. seanyfo

Next one is another special one

Schumacher 1838er Anniversary 175th Altbier

Abv 5.0% Bottle on 29 July 2013, Best before 29 August 2013

Big thanks again to Erzengel for this one. Cheers mate!

Blurb on the website says a special selection or aroma hops and barley malts gives a light bitterness. I guess compared to the house Alt which I've always found to be on the maltier side compared to Uerige.

[​IMG]

Appearance - Classic copper Altbier body with excellent clarity. Head retention and lacing are excellent.

Aroma - Hop notes very distinctive - floral and fruity esters - mainly peaches. Background sweet toasty malts.

Taste - A delicate sweet malt toffee quality up front balancing well first with the fruitiness (peaches again) and a delicate floral hop bite in the clean finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium carbonation/body. Solid

Overall - For me this falls between the regular malty Altbiers of Zum Schluessel/Schumacher and the hoppier Uerige. They have nailed it! Sweet & toasty malt notes of a classic Alt but with a welcome fresh fruit floral hoppiness that balances well but doesn't dominate which i find Uerige can tend to do. Perhaps my favourite Altbier so far! Shame its only an Anniversary edition. Dare i say they should change their recipe?

Prost!

P.s This was enjoyed alongside an Authentic South African Boerewors sausage! Was a great match!

[​IMG]

4. boddhitree

boddhitree Devotee (482) Apr 13, 2008 Germany

Here are 2 beers I found at a local Rewe supermarket a week ago. Now that this thread is opened up, I thought this would be the perfect place for their review.

The beers are from Privat-Brauerei Schmucker, from Mossautal, in the Odenwald, which is a low-mountainous area south of Frankfurt and east of Heidelberg.

Here's a pic of both, the Doppel Bock Dunkel and Rosé Bock.
    [​IMG]
    Founded in 1780, Schmucker is a beer I remember when I was growing up here in the 70's and drinking in the 80's in university in Germany. It wasn't considered a great beer, but a fairly standard beer of the Hessen area.
    They were bought out by Brau Holding International, which is joint venture betweenSchörghuber Unternehmensgruppe (50,1 %) & Heineken N.V. (49,9 %).
    Here's an interesting list of the BHI beer line up:

Paulaner Brauerei Gruppe:
    Kulmbacher Brauerei AG (belongs up to 63 % to Brau Holding International GmbH & Co. KGaA):
    Südwest Gruppe:
    So once a proud local beer now owned by conglomerates.
    But, do they taste good?
    1st, The Rosé Bock.
    [​IMG]
    It's not really rosé, per se, more amber and orange with a fine brownish head on top.
    The nose is lots of malts, Pils and Münchner malts, basically like a Märzen should smell. It's also got a full-bodied, very nice chewy mouthfeel.
    The flavor is slightly bitter up front, sweet and caramel malts and a tangy alcohol feeling on the tongue. The middle gives me more malts, more Märzen-like qualities and a little more tangy brandy-like alcohol flavor. The end and aftertaste is pure malts, caramels, a little bitterness and a slight burning alcohol flavor.
    It basically tastes like a Märzen/brandy mix. On the Schmucker webpage they call it "full-bodied, vinous, sweet, soft, mildly bitter." That vinous quality comes through like a barely wine would, and at 8%, it's near that territory in alcohol. Not bad… wow? Not quite, but very good I'll buy this beer again. It's very very good and relatively cheap at about 1€ per 0.5L bottle. Maybe a solid 4.3 rating.
    2nd, the Doppel Bock Dunkel.
    [​IMG]
    Yep, it's dark, dark brown with red and orange tints peaking through the light. It's also got a light brown head, but it falls flat almost instantly.
    The aroma is lots and lots of roasted malts, yep, it's a Bock. I also get a alcohol smell coming up, and again at 8%, no wonder.
    The flavor: brandy-like flavors, roasted malts, a little tang from the alcohol and a wee bit of bitterness. The middle is red wine-like, more roasted malts and more alcohol. The back finally is where all the sweet caramel Münchner malts pop out among roasted malt flavors. Again, it's got a brandy quality that's hard to miss in the aftertaste. What I like is that the roasted flavor really predominates but it's not overwhelming or super-sickly sweet like some Bocks or Dunkles I've reviewed here.
    Again, overall it's a brandy-like mix, but this time it's a roasted malt-sickle. It's a good beer but I wish they'd been able to hide the alcohol better. Maybe this beer would be better in 6 months to a year. Mmmm, I think I have an idea… cellaring. A 4.5 rating.

5. Gutes_Bier

Gutes_Bier Disciple (390) Jul 31, 2011 Germany

I've had the Rosé Bock before and remember liking it a bit. This was probably over a year ago at this point, though. Nice find!

6. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (298) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I had no idea Schmucker was eaten up by Schörghuber. Too bad.

7. boddhitree

That's why I felt compelled to include the list of beers under the BHI umbrella. It's a literal list of traditional, all former independent operations that now are controlled by a conglomerate. Nonetheless, compared the to the Bitburger, Radeburger or InBev-Bud groups, it could be argued that each brewery has been allowed to maintain its individuality and kept the standards higher than the other mass corporations. Now, some of them, I know firsthand have gone down slightly since being absorbed into into the conglomerate, but not as much as those aforementioned conglomerates. . In addition, what I find interesting is that, with the exception of the Münchner breweries and Kulmbacher, most of them have remained regional and haven't become "Fernsehbiere," until now, at least.

8. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,030) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Just saw this. Thought it would fit nicely here. (Who says there is no new beer in Germany?)

[​IMG]

seanyfo, boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  9. Gutes_Bier

Nice. You know, I thought I saw somewhere that Hopfenstopfer was a very short Straßenbahn from me. Later research seemed to debunk this, but it's something I may have to look into again; per this map it is certainly from my "home" state. It would be funny if, after all my moaning, there was a group making American style IPA's just 15 minutes from my front door and I didn't even know about it...

10. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,305) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Nice, only heard of a few of those.

I find it amusing that they have Franconia and Bavaria as separate states (colors are wrong ;-)). Why didn't they split Baden and Wurttemberg?

herrburgess likes this.
  11. boddhitree

The colors on the map correspond solely to the brands' colors. Why not split BW? Because they aren't 2 "craft" brewers there. Though Nordrhein Westphalen could've been spilt into a few other brewers, such as the one in Köln, and there's one in Hamburg - Ratsherrn, which doesn't seem to be on the map, or it's too small to see.

What's the source of this map?

12. seanyfo

Das Landbier by Brauerei Distelhäuser

A well decorated bier winning Silver in the 2006 World Beer Cup in the European Dark Lager/Muenchner Dunkel class.

Described as an export bier on the website, I think I'm looking for a malt rich lager with perhaps a strong hop character in the finish.

I like the English translation description on the website:

"This indigenous export beer with a distinct malty flavor owes its subtle caramel note to the use of handpicked special malts.
    The slight sweetness - smooth and rounded in the finish - appeals to more than the ladies. A caress for any beer lover‘s throat. "

Sexy :wink:

[​IMG]

Appearance - toffee amber body with excellent clarity. Creamy head produces very good lacing with average head retention. Lively beading.

Aroma - Bread crust, wholegrain bready goodness. Hint of toffee sweeter malts.

Taste - Sweeter biscuity malts up front becoming more savoury/bread crusty fading a touch quickly to a clean lager finish with a mere suggestion of hop character. Pretty standard stuff, nothing jumping out, flavours perhaps a bit subdued with no lingering character.

Mouthfeel - Carbonation is a good level, active without being abrasive. Body is a hair thin though which becomes more obvious in the finish.

Overall, it's not a bad dunkel - refreshing with a nice aroma. Flavours are very quick to fade with no lingering complexity which makes it instantly forgettable for me. Yet to find an Augustiner beater.

Prost!

JHDStein, boddhitree and Gutes_Bier like this.
  13. Gutes_Bier

A local restaurant sells Distelhäuser beers and my default is the Landbier unless the seasonal sounds interesting. Unfortunately I have never seen Augustiner's dunkel in my neighborhood. Nice write-up!

14. seanyfo

I'm always picky when it comes to dunkel since sampling Augustiner. It has a fantastic flavour complexity. Only other one i can think of that comes close is Weltenburger Barock-dunkel. I've got a bottle lingering somewhere I'm sure, will break that out soon for a comparison.

15. Gutes_Bier

Do you know if Biershop Bayern delivers to the UK? If so I'd definitely check out Faust's Schwarzviertler and Brauerei Eck's Wilderer Dunkel.

boddhitree likes this.
  16. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (87) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

I was lucky enough to find a 5-liter mini-keg of the Barock Dunkel here in Minnesota. A really good dunkel. Unfortunately I somehow missed Augustiner's when I've been to Munich. I guess I'll be on the look out the next time I'm there!

seanyfo likes this.
  17. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (1,958) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

Whoa! I've never seen the mini-kegs of Weltenburger... keepin' an eye out now.

18. seanyfo

They do deliver! Noted that one for my next order, cheers

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  19. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,686) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

Not a bad default. wish I could find some here without a scary layer of dust on the bottles

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  20. seanyfo

Interestingly, looking back when I used to log reviews on here, my highest rating was Ayinger altbairisch dunkel. Albeit these reviews were over a course of 5-6 years, my palate must of changed!

Gutes_Bier likes this.
  21. Gutes_Bier

The Augustiner Dunkels are easy to find in Berlin also, if you should end up there. For whatever reason, they don't make it to Heidelberg.

22. Gutes_Bier

I've only ever seen it on tap at this local place. No Distelhäuser to be found in the local bottle shops, sadly.

23. LBerges

LBerges Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Germany

The original map is here:
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?....271370019640941.58551.211673152277295&type=1

It is my personal answer to this map:
    http://blog.coco-new-media.de/bierr...mit-dem-bekanntesten-bier-in-jedem-bundesland

Stan likes this.
  24. LBerges

LBerges Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2010 Germany

Apart from Hopfenstopfer (Bad Rappenau) there are some other craft brewers in BW. At least Vogelbräu in Karlsruhe, who was Germany's first new craft brewer.

25. danfue

danfue Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2012 Germany

Jeez!!! I mean, all of them are poor piss, more or less. But the Oettinger logo all over Bavaria, that is pure blasphemy!
    Your reply-map is spot on though! Very interesting, and it introduced me to the BrauKunstKeller in the Odenwald. Not too far from me, but haven't heard of it before.

26. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,305) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

27. danfue

Quite a good Pils from southern Niedersachsen. Einbecker Brauhaus is the alleged birthplace of Bockbier.

[​IMG]

28. danfue

Alpirsbacher not only offer a prize-winning champion-Pils, but also an excellent Weizen. Very well balanced sweetness, fruityness and fairly yeasty paired with a perfect taste of wheat malts. Yet none of it is too much, a nearly perfect Weizen considering it is not from Bavaria.
    [​IMG]

einhorn, JHDStein, boddhitree and 2 others like this.
  29. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (29) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

Alpirsbacher also makes a wonderful seasonal "Starkbier" that shows up during the winter months. As much as I dislike cold weather, at least it brings with it some very good seasonal beers.

30. JHDStein

JHDStein Initiate (29) Aug 16, 2013 Germany

India Pale Ale by Fritz Ale (from Bonn)
    [​IMG]
    While I can't promise to give as wonderful and as comprehensive a review as seanyfo always gives, I thought I would at least give an overview of this non-Bavarian IPA.

Although the picture doesn't really do it justice, this actually has a very nice orange-amber color with a fairly dense head of foam that reduces, but lingers throughout. Flavor-wise, I was surprisingly impressed. It's very citrus-based, with some grapefruit and orange flavors mixed in with a decent maltiness and only a hint of pine-resin. However, there isn't an overabundance of bitterness present, which I found refreshing. It's not exactly subtle, but it isn't obnoxiously aggressive either. I wouldn't call it a Wow beer, but I would definitely buy a few more the next time I see them. And it is always nice to find an IPA that has less than 6% alcohol.

LBerges, danfue, Gutes_Bier and 3 others like this.
  31. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (298) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

My father-in-law is the glass blower in Alpirsbach, if anyone makes it into their neck of the woods, stop in and say hello! Be forewarned, he doesn't speak much/any English. But as he drinks his Alpirsbacher, his English gets better.

32. seanyfo

Couple of beers to add to the thread, suitable for the cooler weather setting in

Berliner Kindl Bock Dunkel & Hell

[​IMG]

The dunkel has a nice plummy chocolatey aroma which carries through nicely on the palate. Chocolatey notes really linger on in the lager clean finish. Very smooth, doesn't show its strength at all. Mouthfeel is lacking though - carbonation too low and a touch thin, so a mark against there. Certainly looked the part though and i really enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

The hell definitely has some fruity esters going on in the aroma - im getting lots of apple in amongst the biscuity malty backbone. Head retention isnt as good as the dunkel, minimal lacing. Taste is the biscuity/grainy end of the malt spectrum. Lager clean finish but i can definitely detect just a touch more alcohol strength here than the dunkel. Mouthfeel is better, a fuller body with a livelier carbonation.

Both bocks have their good and bad points. I'd go for the dunkel as i like bocks at the chocolatier/dark fruit end of the spectrum.

Had a flashback, I had the dunkel before in Zum Nussbaum in Berlin. What a lovely cramped pub. Fond memories of a man at the opposite table who looked like Santa Claus demolishing Frikadellen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

33. Gutes_Bier

I've had some Märkischer Landmann Schwarzbier while in Berlin once, and I remember really liking it. I realize you said the above photo was the dunkel Bock but the branded mug reminded me.

34. digita7693

digita7693 Disciple (394) Jan 19, 2010 Germany
    Beer Trader

Very nice map! It is definitely missing a few places, namely Freigeist in NRW and the Fritz Ale and Freigeist side project which will be debuting soonish, Monarchy.

cheers

ps back in Germany, Kassel, if anyone wants to organize a meetup at some point. Perhaps Bamberg or Köln or elsewhere. I will definitely be in Köln for the Festival der Bierkulturen again. 31.5 and 1.6

35. seanyfo

Agreed. Obviously all by Berliner Kindl. Enjoyed the Märkischer Landmann Schwarzbier too!

36. danfue

Dithmarscher Urtyp from Schleswig-Holstein, a brewery right at the North Sea. I had their Pils once and that was the classic northern hoppy Pils, more than Jever or Flens. I don't quite know how this is an "Urtyp", as it is a regular northern Pils as well. "Urtyp" is often used for an Export or a Kellerbier in southern Germany.
    It starts with a nice malty, slighty sweet and grassy taste of grain. Immediately followed by intense, yet not too well balanced or aromatic, but rather bitter hops. Goes down bitter as well. Maybe this is what Flensburger once tasted like.

[​IMG]

37. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,030) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Dithmarschen (and Moravia) became my go-tos when living in Lueneburg. I would agree that their beers are what Flensburger once tasted like/aspires to.

38. danfue

Pott's Pilsener (gotta love the beer for that name already!) from the Münsterland-area. Again, a typical northern, bitter-hoppy Pils. Yet, there is a nicely balanced bready and grainy side to it full of Pilsener Malts.
    [​IMG]

On the back label the head brewer gives a little note containing a little side blow on Fernsehbiere, calling the majority of Pils today "hopfenarme Pilsener-Biere".
    [​IMG]

39. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,057) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“ …a little side blow on Fernsehbiere, calling the majority of Pils today "hopfenarme Pilsener-Biere". There is no doubt that Fernsehbiere are “low hopped”. Thank goodness for Pott’s, Dithmarscher, and other German breweries who produce non-low hopped Pilsners!

Prost!

40. boddhitree

I've had it a few times in the Ruhrpott, which is local slang for the Ruhrgebiet, or the Ruhr Area. For merchandise of the Ruhrpott, go here. However, Münsterland, which is what the area around Münster is called and has the city of Münster at its center, is just north of the Ruhrpott. So to Germans, seeing the name Pott's has a double meaning, lending it an air of muscular, blue collar authenticity. Oh, and the beer is really good, too, though I had it a few (5 maybe) years ago and I only remember that I was impressed.

einhorn and JackHorzempa like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.