Review protocol for beer brewed 'under license' in foreign country?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by JonnoWillsteed, Apr 1, 2020.

1. JonnoWillsteed

JonnoWillsteed Meyvn (1,443) Apr 12, 2013 England

I'm hoping to clarify this situation with a beer. Similar has happened before (re: under license), but added to that this is in an altogether different country...

Mainstream/mass-market French beer, brewed by Dutch brewery in Scotland (UK!). I only realised that on checking the small-print on the can.
    Right now here I don't see Heineken listed as having a brewery in Edinburgh, but to list it as from their Dutch hub in the Netherland feels misleading.
    Kronenbourg itself has it's own listing here from it's historic French brewery, but this seems very very arms length from that product.

dukeandduke likes this.
  2. rousee

rousee Meyvn (1,042) Aug 13, 2004 Massachusetts

Don't sweat the small stuff--make note of it in your review if you feel its important/helpful.

dukeandduke and maximum12 like this.
  3. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,795) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

If you're tracking the beers you've had from each country, this gets you 1 more for 3 countries for the price of 1! Great deal all around! :grin:

dukeandduke and hottenot like this.
  4. hottenot

hottenot Disciple (334) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

The more complicated the better!

Thanks for the opportunity to use my new catchphrase!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  5. JonnoWillsteed

JonnoWillsteed Meyvn (1,443) Apr 12, 2013 England

'Brewed under license' is invariably a major negative IME. Maybe this doesn't convey internationally where it is uncommon? How about say Americans could buy reverse-import big quality US brands that were brewed abroad, that were notably worse.
    Heineken (Dutch) don't brew Kronenbourg (French) in Scotland for the British to maintain standards, they do it to cut costs. Similar applies to the mass-market Stella Artois, the real Belgian original is quite palatable, yet the decades old common 'Brewed under license in the UK' version is a shadow of that.

Maybe I just note the facts of the matter on the 'associated (original/real) beer listing'... I'll see, I've still a few days to ponder before reviewing.

dukeandduke likes this.