Revolution Brewing (2021)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by DeadWax, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ktr5010

ktr5010 Aspirant (252) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Having a Mineshaft right now. Still tasting great. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

2. Ckoz

Ckoz Aspirant (298) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Trader

Had a Blackberry Finn. Fantastic. Wasn’t sure if I’d like it but it was really good.

core42, SWChi, ktr5010 and 8 others like this.
  3. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (957) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

I came here tonight for a rather unusual reason. I have a love-hate relationship with coffee stouts. I love coffee. I need coffee. I'd be willing to pay $30 for a single cup on any individual morning fi that was the only way I could get coffee, because not having a cup would give me such a headache the next day. It lays me out. I'm addicted, I need it, love it, and every morning I even have a "coffee ritual." That said, coffee stouts are often thin, BA versions lack barrel, there's the 'who the fuck put Peppers in this' debacle, and so on.

Well, I'm revisiting an old friend, 2014 BCBCS. Everyone knows I love BCBS, but man does this beer sing. This really is what a BA Coffee stout should be judged on for me (as well as the other earlier BCBCS).

Comparatively, Cafe (this year) probably has more barrel, but it's thinner and coffee isn't as good/well incorporated. Arguably, it actually punches you in the face less.

Didn't try this year's Supermassive, but last years was great, but I'd argue it was more of a coffee stout than a BA coffee stout - weak barrel. But it was spectacular, and in the same league as this 2014 BCBCS.

Long live the coffee!

4. Mwils8

Mwils8 Initiate (51) Dec 1, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

I did Deth vs Cafe Deth vs Supermassive side-by-side-by-side last week. Cafe Deth was the worst of the three by a wide margin in my opinion. Part of that was because this year's Deth was the best it's ever been in my view and because I love Supermassive as a coffee bomb. But I found Cafe Deth a bit thin and the coffee and beer weren't in sync. Didn't live up to past years. Could just be an off year for Cafe Deth. Or maybe it was just a comparison issue (and yes, I realize that Supermassive probably blew out my palate but I did have the others first).

5. 4DAloveofSTOUT

4DAloveofSTOUT Poo-Bah (3,430) Nov 28, 2008 Illinois
    Society Trader

Now you gotta drink all three separately on a fresh palette. Thought Cafe Deth was as good as every single year this year. Not a off year for Cafe deth. Palette fatigue as u suspect

mbockstruck30 likes this.
  6. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,585) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

7. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (36) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois

I see what you did there

8. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (192) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

To this point - let me help our brethren…

Palate is a noun referring to the roof of the mouth, but has extended to refer to one's sense of taste.
    Pallet, also a noun, has an older definition of a mattress filled with straw, or the more common usage as a wooden shipping platform.
    Palette refers to the board on which a painter keeps his paint, or more figuratively a range or selection of something (such as color).

9. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,009) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

So what's a trash palette then?

jaysker95, FBarber, Sabtos and 2 others like this.
  10. vicodin_tears1

vicodin_tears1 Initiate (85) Jun 22, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

Since working at a grocery, I’ve seen a lot of trash pallets.

11. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

All that from one extra t? Lol. Appreciate the shenanigans...

Sabtos and Beer_Economicus like this.
  12. VinHalen54

[​IMG]

jaysker95, GuyFawkes and Sabtos like this.
  13. 4DAloveofSTOUT

Society Trader

it's the top of a trash panda's mouth!

14. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (182) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Half way through my first ‘21 SJ can and this has exceeded my already very high expectations. Shared a can of the most recently released VSOJ over last weekend and prefer SJ, and I don’t even think it’s particularly close. The only nit I can pick is that it seems ever so slightly under carbonated; other than that this is like the Platonic ideal of barley wines.

GuyFawkes, FBarber, ktr5010 and 9 others like this.
  15. gudbrande

gudbrande Zealot (527) Jul 10, 2009 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Currently drinking a '20 SJ and it's near perfection. You all are saying '21 is even better? Not doubting, just want to hear some perspectives on that comparison.

FBarber, ktr5010, monstershu and 2 others like this.
  16. VinHalen54

Nice...thanks a lot for putting that thought in my head.
    Now I have to go and open one of each.
    Bastard.

17. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,585) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Y'all got me cracking mine way earlier than I was intending, but got damn if you aren't all right.

It's definitely more viscous and rich than my recollection of past vintages, yet still featuring more fresh woodiness than VSOJ, which is certainly more complex and integrated. However, it's scary how much this is closing in on its older sister...

18. Beer_Economicus

Trader

I haven't even opened a Vanilla Deth and yall are making me want to open a SJ so I know whether I need 1, 2 or 3 4-packs. Gah.

19. Sammonsd

Sammonsd Initiate (75) Aug 13, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

I had a 21 SJ a few nights ago and had similar thoughts. I don’t remember liking VSOJ as much as that SJ and plan on a side by side. Need to get more for sure.

20. ktr5010

Trader

Cracked my Deth's Tar stovepipe about an hour ago because I hadn't had a DT in a few weeks. Imo DT is so much better than this year's BCS. Thought last year was pretty close but this year it's not.

21. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Tastes obviously differ, but I want to delve into this a little bit. I'm a BCBS fan boy, so I obviously disagree, but that said...looking at and tasting each, I think the reasons primarily center around the base - with one being an oatmeal stout vs. not. Personally, I don't tend to like the oatmeal base as much, and there's a flavor that originates with that base that is expressed in DT/variants that is a little 'off putting' for me. -At least compared to a non oatmeal. I haven't put my finger on it or I would be more specific. That said, their barrel program speaks volumes through this year's DT. It is more barrel/bourbon forward and more well-rounded. Although 2017 or 2018 is still my favorite for DT, it's obvious to me (at least in my recollection) that the barrel was weaker that year, but the creaminess of the base really improved my preference for that year. I don't recall if that was the year VSOD was woven in.

So, in the most round about way possible, I am trying to say that I completely understand where anyone is coming from if they say (this year) they prefer DT. Personally don't agree, but I get it.

22. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,559) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

It is good to know that you liked BCS and that taste is subjective.

(Now this is a shitpost!! :grin:)

In all seriousness, very interesting analysis!!

23. ktr5010

Trader

I think BCS since 2014 and non-infected 2015 has had a lot of darker fruits, been on the thinner side, and weirdly carbed than before that where you got a lot more barrel character flavors of vanilla, graham cracker, and a richer boozy flavor. Just seems like it went from whole milk to 1%. This isn't really a relitagation of the downward trend of BCS, but moreso that Deth's Tar has steadily been increasing the "whole milk" bourbon barrel aged stout flavors. Regular BCS has definitely improved the last two years from 2016-2019 but Deth's Tar has take much larger strides. And after just having Riverlands Tranquil I get those richer notes that I now get with Deth's Tar and not regular BCS. I probably need to do a blind and actually write tasting notes down rather than going from memory/word vomiting. Maybe this weekend...

24. whatruDOINdragic

Trader

Ryeway next Friday--I'm like a kid anticipating Christmas.

25. vicodin_tears1

vicodin_tears1 Initiate (85) Jun 22, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

And LP Binny’s still has last years, if you want some!

26. ktr5010

Trader

This release is really sneaking up in a not-so-fun-financial way but Ryeway is either my favorite or tied for my favorite yearly release from Rev

27. VinHalen54

Yep - we love that Rye! It is tough on the wallet to only have 3 weeks between releases, especially at THIS time of the year. But we'll have 7 weeks to recover between the last two releases, so that will help.
    I'm digging the new Dark Mode t-shirt, and now they have a long sleeve shirt for Maple Jacket, but where is the Ryeway to Heaven shirt?!? :confused:
    I love 2020 Ryeway, only increasing my expectations for VSOR, so I'll look for that t-shirt.:wink:

28. mbockstruck30

mbockstruck30 Devotee (402) Dec 31, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

For M.C. Escher fans like myself, the Dark Mode artwork in general is just glorious.

SeanBond, ktr5010, VinHalen54 and 5 others like this.
  29. Beer_Economicus

Trader

The Dark mode shirt is really cool. I'm not someone normally down for these type of things, as they come off really gimmicky to me. But...that shirt is very cool. Not gimmicky at all.

The generals jacket is also pretty cool, but pretty sure I am late on that one.

mbockstruck30 and ECOBOOSTINST like this.
  30. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (212) Nov 11, 2014 Arizona
    Trader

Dark Mode art reminds me a bit of the Suffering Luna S/T album cover.

Looking forward to trying it.

31. darktronica

darktronica Poo-Bah (3,004) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Society Trader

As of the last release event, they still had the general's jacket, but possibly only in XL.

Beer_Economicus and FBarber like this.
  32. flat_lander

Society Trader

FFS. Already?! I was at least hoping to make it to the next credit card statement.

33. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (101) Jan 13, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

Rev subscribes to the Cobra Kai school of wallet karate. Strike First, Strike Hard, No Mercy.

34. sahd-1

sahd-1 Disciple (375) Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

XL-also known as the beer nerd’s medium…

35. flat_lander

Society Trader

Being a standard XL, this makes me feel like I'm in good shape.

36. whatruDOINdragic

Trader

Can’t say enough about this year’s SJ: sweet but not overwhelmingly so, HUGE butterscotch prune with some vanilla and cherry notes, and smoothest 15% I can remember.

Sinzanasti, Jsimansk, ktr5010 and 6 others like this.
  37. Beer_Economicus

Trader

[​IMG]

So, I had a hot-take, and it was pretty much the same as my overall experience by the end of the can.

Nose: Lots of vanilla, but not super strong. You really have to nose the beer to get the experience. Limited other flavors.

Taste: Basically DT with Vanilla, but barrel is seemingly very absent.

Mouthfeel: Thinner than DT (but not unexpected, it is a vanilla beer afterall), but it comes off very flat. This flatness is really ruining the beer for me.

Overall: I really liked this beer after my first sip, then everything started sinking in. The mouthfeel kills this beer for me; if the carb level was up to snuff I think I'd prefer this to DT, although I'm not sure it's worth $10/can or 50% more than DT.

BA Review Score: 4.148

My review can be found here: https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/22072/312929/?ba=Beer_Economicus#review

Redrover, maximum12 and ktr5010 like this.
  38. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Aspirant (235) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Vanilla beans can be a tough adjunct to use. This is why a lot of brewers just use artificial (natural?) flavorings

39. SinBoldly

SinBoldly Initiate (36) Apr 21, 2014 Illinois

Anyone hear anything on limits/prices for next week?

40. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,408) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

Think they are trying something new- customers will only be limited to what they can stuff into their sweat pants. If any cans fall out between the beer pick-up and check out line, you lose all your cans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.