Revolution Brewing (2021)

Discussion in 'US - Midwest' started by DeadWax, Jan 1, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (6,454) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Moderator Society Trader

So I hit up the Monk's Pub preview party this evening after work.

Dark Mode is delicious - lots of milk chocolate and subtle bourbon. Really enjoyed it and definitely looking forward to drinking it again.

Maple Jacket was just not my thing. Its really sweet and has some weird flavors going on - I need to drink a can by itself, but I didn't really care for it tonight.

Skipped ryeway and went for something else, since I have full faith ryeway will be amazing as usual.

2. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (6,559) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Duvel Single Fermented? Lunch? A Firestone Walker Anniversary?

I for one am DYING to know what you had.

Why? I'm nosy.

3. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

FW 25

... it was not great. lol.

Beer_Economicus and GuyFawkes like this.
  4. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

A LOT of tequila barrel aged Merkin in that blend...I don't like Tequila and I'm not crazy about Velvet Merkin, so I'm avoiding that myself!!

americanzero4128 likes this.
  5. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

I actually like velvet Merkin, but yea this was just dominated by the tequila barrel and I was not a fan. Probably should have just gone for the Ryeway.

VinHalen54, ChicagoJ and GuyFawkes like this.
  6. FlaviusG

FlaviusG Initiate (156) Aug 15, 2009 Illinois
    Trader

I was at a preview at Beerhead Schaumburg, Dark Mode was good. They had past releases, had Ten Year Beer, Boss Ryeway, and Blackberry Finn. Seemed like they had plenty, 21 Deep Woods on tap I total if you are in the area

7. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (12,154) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

The DB XOD is the truth! Definitely worth the trip to the taproom y’all

8. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Looks like the 2018 version of Ryeway is on too, if the website is to be believed...

9. REVZEB

Society

It’s true and deliciously so

10. ktr5010

ktr5010 Aspirant (252) Dec 12, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

XO Lynotts is so good. Think I prefer it slightly to the Double Barrel XOD.

KCUnited, REVZEB, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  11. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (182) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Is this the first Ryeway vintage they canned? Fond memories of that one.

12. Jaycase

Jaycase Poo-Bah (1,917) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Society Trader

They first canned Ryeway in 2017 (08 Dec 2017 release party).

13. REVZEB

Society

Agreed, hadn’t had the lynott yet, it also is worth the trip!

GuyFawkes, ktr5010 and FBarber like this.
  14. thewimperoo

thewimperoo Zealot (597) Oct 1, 2006 Illinois
    Trader

Loved the Quad. DBXOD was also quite good. I got a lot of black licorice from Lynott's which is not something I like so that one wasn't a favorite.

Also, the new hazy IPA was quite good. Rev has really dialed in their haze over the last year or so.

emerge077, ChicagoJ, REVZEB and 2 others like this.
  15. VinHalen54

VinHalen54 Initiate (192) Jun 4, 2014 Illinois

This is the 5th year of Deep Wood cans and there are 4 beers that have come out each of those years:
    Deth's Tar
    Cafe Deth
    Straight Jacket
    Ryeway to Heaven

16. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (212) Nov 11, 2014 Arizona
    Trader

Same. Crazy good.

REVZEB, ktr5010 and FBarber like this.
  17. P739397

P739397 Initiate (110) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

Another vote for Lynotts being insanely good. Ryeway is great too. Maple Jacket is a little too sweet for me. Rev Pils is great, I haven't had a fresh lager on tap in a while and it hits the spot like a dream.

18. Jagrmaister

Jagrmaister Initiate (101) Jan 13, 2018 Illinois
    Trader

DBXOD, LYNOTTS, KYLE'S QUAD.

Dark Mode is great!

Not as enamored with Maple Jacket.

GuyFawkes, ktr5010, ChicagoJ and 2 others like this.
  19. rchenoweth23

rchenoweth23 Initiate (96) Oct 13, 2010 Illinois
    Trader

Totally agree, the new hazy is great. Love that it's not overly sweet. Pretty chill at the Kedzie location this afternoon!

20. whatruDOINdragic

whatruDOINdragic Initiate (182) Aug 22, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Very surprised how few people are here now.

DBXOD and BA Lynott’s are both great—I’d give a slight nod to Lynott’s. This year’s Ryeway is different. Much less mouthfeel than previous vintages, but a smooth as fuck 15%—no heat at all—and deliciously spicy. Didn’t try Maple Jacket or the quad.

Great to be back in the Taproom for a DW release weekend.

21. VodkaPong87

VodkaPong87 Aspirant (235) Oct 9, 2020 Connecticut
    Trader

Drinking VSOJ for the first time right now. Pretty jealous of all you who have easy access to Rev barleywines. Damn

22. flat_lander

flat_lander Meyvn (1,009) May 11, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

To be fair, VSOJ isn't growing on trees or anything, but it feels like a lot of their stuff is at times! It's pretty sweet.

23. Jsimansk

Jsimansk Initiate (176) Jul 10, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Didn’t get a chance at the taproom yet but picked up my ryeway and maple cans. Ryeway seems drier than last year’s, but all the familiar comforting flavors are still there. A few more cans to enjoy I think before I can determine if it’s better or worse than any previous years.

Maple is a different animal. I took my first sip when it was too cold - as seems to be the trend this year, these beers really show off what they’ve got as they warm. I don’t think it’s too sweet; it seems much less sweet than maple deth, and maybe even less so than regular 2021 straight jacket. I actually don’t even get that much maple, at least in the syrupy sugary sense. Instead, there’s a slightly bitter, tannic character with a dirty ethanol odor. There just seems to be more bourbon. An interesting and frankly challenging twist on the straight jacket I’ve come to know and love.

24. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,585) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Drier Ryeway sounds even better. The only thing I thought was too decadent about it last year was it's hefty roundness. A little extra dryness sounds promising, can't wait to check it out.

25. CB_Michigan

CB_Michigan Zealot (522) Sep 4, 2014 Illinois
    Society Trader

Dat Lynott’s is LEGIT!!! So glad I made it here today.

FBarber, GuyFawkes and stmoorea like this.
  26. stmoorea

stmoorea Initiate (96) Mar 10, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

I felt the taproom exclusives this release were the best of this DW season. The XO Lynott's was indeed phenomenal, with deft balance and remarkable silkiness (to borrow from Rev's description) for a beer that spent 5 years in wood. The other two were immensely enjoyable as well. That Kyle's quad instantly had me thinking of the burnt sugar on a creme brulee.

While I didn't partake of the canned releases at the taproom, I found the Ryeway to Heaven to be the slightest of steps down from last year's, only because I recall 2020's having a richer body and touch less dryness. Dark Mode is sweet and cocoa-y in a very easily drinkable way. I may, or may not, get around to Maple Jacket this evening. Depends on how I feel after this DDH RH3000 Hero.

27. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

Double Barrel X.O.D. is the TRUTH!! Dark chocolate, smoky oak & cream/vanilla flavors...bold as fuck. You can smell this beer from 5 feet away.

Crazy how much flavor they got without any adjuncts.

I plan on stopping back in on Wednesday when they re-open for more!!

FBarber, AlexIrigoyen and Sabtos like this.
  28. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

THANKS GUYS you're all making me feel great about missing the release this weekend. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

29. GuyFawkes

Society Trader

...everything is still on tap!!

CB_Michigan, stmoorea and FBarber like this.
  30. FBarber

Moderator Society Trader

Really? Hmm, might have to swing in on Wednesday then ... thanks!

31. Beer_Economicus

Beer_Economicus Savant (957) Apr 8, 2017 Ohio
    Trader

Don’t worry, it’ll all be crowlered and in @GuyFawkes ’ tummy by that point.

ktr5010, GuyFawkes and FBarber like this.
  32. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (50) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan

Regarding Maple Jacket, we stopped at the brewpub for lunch yesterday. Our server actually gave us a "buyer beware" warning about the level of sweetness. They were not wrong.

ChicagoJ and FBarber like this.
  33. Beer_Economicus

Trader

This may sound like an odd question, but is it sweet in the way that when you add too much sugar to coffee, you can tell it is sweet (and even coats your mouth a bit funny), or does it taste sweet (like a pastry might)? Just trying to parse this out, as I was looking forward to hopefully trying a can or two. I’m more ok with the latter than the former, because in the former you can certainly tell it is OVERLY sweet. That sweetness punches you in the face in a bad way. “God damn that is sweet” are probably words that have come out of my mouth in that case.

34. P739397

P739397 Initiate (110) Feb 13, 2017 Illinois
    Trader

To me it was more like the first. However, I was tasting it alongside the XOD and Lynotts, which probably made it seem sweeter. It has a sticky candy feeling to me, that wasn't to the level of cloyingly sweet but overwhelmed the base beer and barrel.

35. Beer_Economicus

Trader

Very helpful and insightful. Thank you. :slight_smile:

36. Beer_Pizza_Beer

Beer_Pizza_Beer Initiate (43) Jan 8, 2020 Illinois

Maple Jacket is sweet up front, masks the other flavors of the barleywine and barrel and leaves a taste of maple syrup on the back. I'm not a fan. I'm going to drink another one at room temp to see if there are any differences. The one I drank last night was chilled and I let it sit for a bit to let it warm but it didn't seem to open up as it warmed.

Beer_Economicus, eppie82 and FBarber like this.
  37. eppie82

eppie82 Poo-Bah (1,778) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

I agree with your impressions. I'm a maple fan, and the sweetness became tough to overcome even as it warmed up and was (for me) overly sweet. If anything, the sweetness became more amplified as it warmed. Started to remind me of Honey Jacket by the end.

FBarber likes this.
  38. AndresR

AndresR Aspirant (232) Jul 19, 2009 California
    Trader

You had me at Honey Jacket!!!

Jsimansk, eppie82 and FBarber like this.
  39. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (399) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I’m not sure I’ve ever had a Barleywine with adjuncts that I’ve loved. And even then, it’s only because BCS coffee Barleywine was “pretty good”.

After that, I’m not even sure there one that I like.

It’s like saying here’s a premium bottle of Bordeaux infused with coffee. Sure there’s a market, but I it ain’t me.

40. Sabtos

Sabtos Poo-Bah (10,585) Dec 15, 2015 Ohio
    Society Trader

Still, for me there's something about the words maple and barleywine together that is stupidly attractive despite the fact that I just know it won't equal the sum of its parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.